Possible DF auction site

Announcement Board - Please check this forum often!
LDCKit&Dolls*Linda

Re: Possible DF auction site

Post by LDCKit&Dolls*Linda »

Yes it is a flat fee for a reborn doll to set up on their site, if it sells or not. They have a very good selling success rate. Remember it can be on the their site till it sells or the seller want it to be removed.
That fee is just for them to set the template up on their site, the seller and the buyer are doing the financial part. I just noticed it is 19.00 Euro...

http://www.puppen-traumland.de/rebornbabies-c-301.html

Linda
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

thanks Linda....appreciate the feedback on that. fixed fees may be the way to go though I'm not sure on it being just to list even though a seller can have it up there indefinitely until sold...I notice that eBay charges 8+% on final auction fees which is pretty steep, imo. I'm thinking no real insertion fees(unless the options for a highlighted auction or something of that nature) and if it is a percentage instead of fixed anywhere between 2% and 4% depending on the final sale.

I have decided on a pre-built auction script to use and then modify to it's own needs and if anyone wants to test it out to come up with suggestions(I'm especially looking for category and sub-category suggestions) feel free to register at http://www.doll-fan.com/xauction and then PM me that you've done so. It currently requires approval to validate teh registration just for the initial testing phase. It's pretty usable as it is though I'm still getting used to the nuts and bolts of it in order to rewrite some of it if necessary and if you want to set up test auctions or even stores feel free to....just don't use any live payment methods ;) There's a "payment simulator" option if any payment is necessary.

Bear in mind that this won't be the url of where the auction site is listed and any testing account you set up will more than likely not be permanent....also, I'll be tweaking stuff for a bit which might cause auctions and member accounts to get funky or even delete...I just don't know how some of it will react to changes yet.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
ClaireTaylorDolls

Post by ClaireTaylorDolls »

I like this idea; eBay is getting too expensive, and I am getting discouraged with it. I love this idea so much I registered and and I will be using DollFan Auctions. Thanks, Steve. I love the idea. Looking forward to enjoying a great eBay alternative.
mkdorr

Post by mkdorr »

I'm in............................when did ebay go up to 8%? :bringiton:
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

I don't know when they went up but http://pages.ebay.com/HELP/SELL/fees.html lists their end of auction fees....I see that it's kind of two tiered....a percentage of the initial and then a percentage of the final.

Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

Well i've given up on ebay. They are a joke I don't know how they are making it through this economy honestly.
btw, it just occurred to me that some may be concerned with the current setup of DF with the classified posts..I don't plan on changing anything on the board where if an auction site is created one here can still utilize the existing forums for selling.
Steve glad you brought this up. I think many of us are successful selling in the classified section. So I don't know how it would go with dollfan members but if you open this to the public like you mentioned you might, then I think it would open doors to new buyers outside of DF. Better selling opportunities for all of us - a win win situation! :thumb: Just don't make any changes to the classified sections please. :angelgrin:
Annette

Post by Annette »

This is a great idea, Steve! And I would love to use it.

But I hate to be the "voice of doom" here, but if the site is open to anyone, not just DF members, how, or will you be able, to police the buyers/sellers who just want to scam people? Like they are on eBay? And Paypal.
The buyers who say they didn't get the item, and the ones who steal photos etc. Or sellers that get the money and don't send the item?
Hugs Annette
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

but if the site is open to anyone, not just DF members, how, or will you be able, to police the buyers/sellers who just want to scam people? Like they are on eBay? And Paypal.
It's unfortunate but seems you can't avoid scammers. Look how many scams we hear about just on DF? I think what would be best is if selling to someone you do not know accept a money order only. No paypal. And it sounds like Steve would allow several methods of payments unlike evilbay who wants to monopolize the whole market. :banghead:

I think if you accept a money order a us postal one it would be fairly safe. I know people can and have made fake ones but it would be a federal offense with the us postal service. Another way is COD send it cash on delivery. Just thinking aloud!
Annette

Post by Annette »

You're right Gina. I guess it doesn't matter how many safeguards you put up, there will always be one person who figures out a way to scam someone else. :(

I still think it's a wonderful idea though. I guess with all the alternative ways of accepting payment, there should be some that are nearly foolproof. :) Also, with the experience that most of us have had on here, if we're sending something of significant value, we will insure it and track it, and also, take photos of the item before mailing it.
Hugs Annette
GinaMomofthree

Post by GinaMomofthree »

Annette,

Isn't it sad we even have to think this way though? :( People have gotten so good at stealing it's scary!
Annette

Post by Annette »

Yes Gina, it's pretty sad. :(
Hugs Annette
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Annette wrote:This is a great idea, Steve! And I would love to use it.

But I hate to be the "voice of doom" here, but if the site is open to anyone, not just DF members, how, or will you be able, to police the buyers/sellers who just want to scam people? Like they are on eBay? And Paypal.
The buyers who say they didn't get the item, and the ones who steal photos etc. Or sellers that get the money and don't send the item?
Hi Annette,
that's fair enough but no site can be the police for you....including eBay. Auction sites are just mediums which you choose to use to sell or buy. Whether it's online or in person scamming will always be the responsibility of the ones directly involved in the transaction

Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
karinabrandt

Post by karinabrandt »

I've told some of my fellow reborners about this possible DF auction site and they are more or less ready to throw what they are holding in their hands, to jump in and make it big. They all hate ebay, and wish every day that they'll find something better...

so lets keep our fingers crossed that Steve will make this happen.

hugs
karina
Visit my new website with unique handknit and sewn clothes for dolls, babies and toddlers
New location on http://www.beautiful-baby.dk
terriestots

Post by terriestots »

So, will we still have the classifieds here on Doll Fan?

Or will they be eliminated when the auction site opens?
karinabrandt

Post by karinabrandt »

terrie, Steve wrote about that in an earlier post on this thread, that the classifieds here will remain.

hugs
karina
Visit my new website with unique handknit and sewn clothes for dolls, babies and toddlers
New location on http://www.beautiful-baby.dk
terriestots

Post by terriestots »

Thanks, Karina. I've been reading it but somehow missed it I guess. :oops:
I did go back and find it at the end of one of the posts.
Good to know DF will remain the same. :)
Melissas Babies

Post by Melissas Babies »

Playing with DF auction site check it out
http://www.doll-fan.com/xauction/New-Bo ... on_details
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
terriestots

Post by terriestots »

Auction site looks great but really love that doll, Melissa!
The kid under "kids for sale" is cute too. Would sign up and
bid but I already have 4! :lol:
Melissas Babies

Post by Melissas Babies »

didn't know if the site was working yet so thought I would give it a try.
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

it's just testing...feel free to sign up and play but it's not ready(quite a bit to do still) for anything live. If you do sign up it requires me for now to approve the registration. btw, Melissa, I received your email on the site and uploads of pictures work but it's limited to 500k or less right now....big pictures will slowly try to go and then return an error message.

Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret