Possible DF auction site

Announcement Board - Please check this forum often!
deborahsdarlings

Re: Possible DF auction site

Post by deborahsdarlings »

I love the idea and would definitely use it!
Susan thenurserymaid

Post by Susan thenurserymaid »

I was thinking more about this and from a strictly buyer's perspective, I have become more interested in fixed pricing (like Etsy) or pricing set by the buyer with "best offers" taken for a certain period of time. Either the price is right or it isn't. The seller could accept an offer or reject all and relist. A buyer could look at the price set originally and buy it straight off. Instead of becoming a mini-ebay, perhaps doll-fan could incorporate fixed pricing with the flexibility of taking a best offer. It would have a unique feature to perhaps draw in more buyers.
Denise O

Post by Denise O »

I think its an awesome idea :banana: I dont mind paying reasonable fees, but I do agree ebay has gotten over the top. Especially in this economy. I think its an excellent opportunity for all involved. Between ebay and paypal fees many of us are getting raked over. Maybe a selling membership like the one you have to join here, it certainly is reasonable enough and then the fees you spoke of for the special listings and highlights. I know upkeep on the site and other things can get spendy for you and I am sure many of us want the site to be and remain the very best it can be. Its just my opinion but I am all for it and will sell on it.

Denise
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

thanks for the encouragement all....it will be a bit but have started a rough draft of it. Am definitely not going to be writing this from scratch and will rely on a pre-built one that I can hopefully become familiar enough with to edit to it's own unique needs.

Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Kims Reflections

Post by Kims Reflections »

I think its a great idea! But I think it'd be great to be able to accept money orders, cash, checks and paypal!
right now ebay wont let us take anything other than paypal and one other electronic transfer.
fayrae

Post by fayrae »

As a buyer, not seller, I would purchase only from an auction site that mandated payment through paypal.

just thought i'd very quietly throw that in there....just a thought...bye
Why, oh why, oh why, would you only want to deal with PayPal? PayPal/eBay are the biggest crooks on the Internet. If we could only use PayPal, that would be the same as dealing with eBay. Might better stay there where there's all the exposure. PayPal is one of the main reasons so many sellers are leaving ebay for smaller, friendlier, less greedy sites.

Steve, if you haven't sold on ebay for a couple years, you have no idea what a nightmare it is now. I'm afraid to list dolls there anymore because it's so easy for the buyer to say the item wasn't what they expected, file a claim, get a refund and keep the item. PayPal has a zillion reasons now for freezing seller accounts, screwing up their bank accounts ... If you read ebay's community discussion boards, you'll get an eye full of dissatisfied sellers.

Personally, I like the auction format. We already have Esty with fixed prices. Go for it! :pray:
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

I love this idea....I would use it in a heartbeat :D
Geri

Post by Geri »

fayrae wrote:
As a buyer, not seller, I would purchase only from an auction site that mandated payment through paypal.

just thought i'd very quietly throw that in there....just a thought...bye
Why, oh why, oh why, would you only want to deal with PayPal? PayPal/eBay are the biggest crooks on the Internet. If we could only use PayPal, that would be the same as dealing with eBay. Might better stay there where there's all the exposure. PayPal is one of the main reasons so many sellers are leaving ebay for smaller, friendlier, less greedy sites.

Steve, if you haven't sold on ebay for a couple years, you have no idea what a nightmare it is now. I'm afraid to list dolls there anymore because it's so easy for the buyer to say the item wasn't what they expected, file a claim, get a refund and keep the item. PayPal has a zillion reasons now for freezing seller accounts, screwing up their bank accounts ... If you read ebay's community discussion boards, you'll get an eye full of dissatisfied sellers.

Personally, I like the auction format. We already have Esty with fixed prices. Go for it! :pray:
I agree with Fay. Paypal can be great to use at times, but we need to have more options. To me it just isn't right that they can force sellers to take payment from THEIR company. They're pirates and determined to take away what profit we make. I have been waiting and hoping that someone will eventually wade into the online market place that will be fair and profitable to buyers and sellers alike. Their policy change to no negative feedback choice for sellers and PayPal only payments has taken away sellers rights and left us open to scammers worldwide! Steve, keep us in the loop, I think a lot of us are ready for a change!
Susan thenurserymaid

Post by Susan thenurserymaid »

I guess it wasn't as "quiet" of a statement as I thought.
juliet*

Post by juliet* »

Terrific! I think it will be a success!
annemarie

Post by annemarie »

What a terrific idea, we really need somewhere to buy and sell without all those Ebay haselts.

Maybe you can include google checkout, thats a good alternative for paypal.
fayrae

Post by fayrae »

I guess it wasn't as "quiet" of a statement as I thought.
Susan, everything posts here in one volume - even if you post in caps! :lol:

You just hit a raw nerve with PayPal. It may work for buyers but really is a nightmare for sellers. When ebay started, it worked for both buyers and sellers. It's so slanted now in favor of the buyer that sellers are forced to list at their own risk. For buyers who only want PayPal, ebay will still be there for them. For those of us who want something new, let's have some payment options and an HONEST feedback system.

I'm not saying I would never use PayPal. I haven't thought it through that far yet but it would be pretty tempting to say good bye to those crooks forever!!!!! :yippee:
Geri

Post by Geri »

Fay, again you worded everything I was thinking! I had forgotten though how their feedback system is corrupt too. Everyone was always scared to leave honest feedback and have gotten threats from buyers and sellers too. FB should be in place to help, not hurt, everyone including sellers.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

yes, payment system option(from the seller to DF and from the buyer to the seller) is something I know buyers are concerned with. PayPal will be an option on both fronts since it is so widely used but other options are being worked on.

I'm thinking between DF and the seller just a monthly invoice type of system...options I'm thinking of thus far is PayPal, 2Checkout(credit card/debit card payments), GoogleCheckout, manual money order/check options and possible something like Ikobo which is more of a money transfer tool. For payments to seller from buyer it would of course depend on what the seller is set up to be able to receive but options from PayPal to the major credit cards to money order and check would have to be there....if there are any other suggestions bring them on. Some can be incorporated as direct via the auction interface for the seller when they go to pay and some would have to be "offline" meaning the auction site couldn't handle a payment from a buyer to a seller for credit card payments if the buyer accepts them. The seller would need to supply the info to the buyer for payments after the auction is "won" for using payment methods like credit cards, money orders,etc....PayPal could be probably incorporated for direct payments without the need for the buyer to ask(can be set up by the seller in their own auction account) but if you'd prefer to not use PayPal and have suggestions for some of the other similar services out there I can add them as options. Again, just not sure if they can be set up for direct payments from within the auction site for immediate payment or would require the buyer to give the info for payment(that is what is being referred to as offline payments)to be made outside of the auction system..different payment processors have different rules.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
terriestots

Post by terriestots »

Just a question here. This would be totally separate from everything already here on DF then?
So we would still be able to post our dolls for sale here in the appropriate sections without paying
final value fees?

If we are looking at fixed pricing as a seller, I almost always post a doll here anyway as I know the majority
of collectors will be familiar with the sculpt and I know the people here as opposed to the general
public on Ebay. So I prefer to list it on DF as opposed to "Buy It Now" on Ebay.
I also appreciate that we have no final value fees here on the forum as opposed to Ebay.

However, with the auction format, I like the fact that this could allow a doll to go for a higher
price for the seller than fixed pricing. When several people want a doll offered, this will allow each of them
to bid on it, instead of losing out to the first person who pm's, too. So it may offer advantages to
both the buyer and seller to offer an open ended auction.

But the crazy thing is, I very rarely bid on open auctions, I just don't have the patience. So as a buyer, I almost always use
"Buy It Now" or either purchase from someone on DF by paying their asking price. :)
fayrae

Post by fayrae »

This is just rambling but what I loved about the "old" ebay was the contact sellers had with buyers. The seller emailed the buyer at auction's end with "congratulations" and payment options. Buyer would respond and by the time you shipped, you had some feel for the buyer - if they were going to be a PIA or not! I think buyers also had a feel for the seller: Did they offer any guarantee? Refunds?

Once ebay started doing all this for you, (enters PayPal) the whole dynamics changed and now you're lucky if you can get your buyer's/seller's email address. Not saying we should go back to the "old" ways. On line technology has gone beyond that but I think some offline payment options would be a positive.
Geri

Post by Geri »

I like being able to use templates in my auctions and to have lots of space for photos. Photos are what sells the dolls and a good looking template goes a long way too.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

yeah, that's a pretty good point, Fayrae....I'm pretty sure for payment options like PayPal it could pretty easily be set to give the option to the seller whether or not one wants to use a direct payment method via the auction site or have the opportunity to instead have it all done off-line where the seller needs to supply the payment info to the buyer to have that sort of contact if wanted.

The ability to create ones own template for an auction is going to be implemented, Geri. That I consider a must as well. If "stores" are going to be implemented where a user can have their own area for all of their items in addition to the individual auctions(individual auctions would still be listed as normal and a store is just a sellers area where all of their auctions show in their storefront) I'm thinking it would be a good idea to allow a seller to design their own template for the storefront as well....ideally I would but in practice it may be more difficult to code than for the individual auctions.

Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
LDCKit&Dolls*Linda

Post by LDCKit&Dolls*Linda »

Our German partner Puppen-Traumland made a fixed price selling site on their web site. The way it works with them, they post the Reborn baby with a link to the seller, after selling the buyer will pay
directly to the seller. The reborn will stay as long it needs to sell on the web site, or if the seller want to take it out, what ever is first. If sold the seller has to let them know, so it can be taken out.
For this service the seller pays a flat rate of 15.00 Euro.
It works very well for them and most of the reborns listed sell very fast.
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Linda,
Is that a flat fee for one posted item whether it sells or not? Some sales will be for things like sculpting supplies and the like where the amount would need to be adjusted I think to reflect the smaller dollar amounts involved(would probably have to be a percentage here) but on large sale items say above $250 a flat fee may work. I think it would only be if the item sold. For the service, btw, I'm leaning towards an invoice system between the auction site and the seller where a seller does not need to immediately pay for a sale....that prevents small item sales with really small fees from paying $1.50 for a successful auction where the transaction costs would eat almost all of it. For example, a seller will be able to continue to sell up to where $5 or $10 is owed then an invoice is generated.

Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret