Possible DF auction site

Announcement Board - Please check this forum often!
Steve
Site Admin

Possible DF auction site

Post by Steve »

hey all,
I've been approached a few times over the yrs. to try and start an auction site specifically for doll related items and have pretty much turned it down in the past due to recognizing that while sellers always want options the habit of buyers is something else. Historically, it's been tried(and I think by a few different members here) before but cracking interest in buyers away from the huge auction sites seems to lead to failure. Honestly, I don't think anything has changed in the regard and any attempt to try it again is a fairly bleak prospect but at the same time DF already has the resources available where the main investment would be time and energy; i.e. cost wouldn't be huge because already run DF on a dedicated server which can have the dual purpose of an auction site.

Anyway, I'm basically seeking ideas on it...no need to try and talk me out of it as a bad idea for I'm already pretty aware of it's downfalls ;) User-ship of it I assume would initially and perhaps forever be small but at the same time DF has been around for over 10yrs now and time is one of the main components in getting a site off successfully barring a huge advertising budget which I definitely don't have.

My initial ideas are mainly to set it up not so much as a pure money making venture but have fees simply designed to keep sellers/buyers honest...doesn't always work to perfection but that was the initial idea behind $1/mo for the DF forums. I don't think there should be any real listing fees though that might conflict with a users ability to highlight an auction if they wanted...if $0 all auctions would be highlighted which would defeat the purpose. Maybe give a user the option there. End of auction fees is the main concern where I truthfully don't know what would be competitive....haven't used eBay in a couple of yrs now. Small priced items would more than likely need to have some type of flat fee otherwise the transaction fee for whatever payment processor used(PayPal, for example) could be larger than the charge. Am thinking higher cost items could run anywhere from 2-3% if it sells. Am definitely seeking guidance here.

I also like the idea of giving users the ability to have their own store where something like $12/yr, just an example, allows them to list within their own brand...could also be a sliding scale here....cheaper if limited to smaller number of items at time or more expensive if wants more. Am also debating whether or not users with their own stores can create their own categories and if that's a good idea for it would potentially lead to non-doll related stuff being auctioned.

Anyway, just throwing stuff out there....this is purely a development stage and nothing is set in stone including whether I'm for sure going to pursue it but since many of you use auctions to buy/sell I'm sure there are some good ideas out there I can mine.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
ElizabethBellaMiaBabies

Re: Possible DF auction site

Post by ElizabethBellaMiaBabies »

Here is my thought. I love the idea. Here are a few questions that I have,
-Can anyone bid on our items, or do they have to be a member of doll-fan?
-Would there be a final value fee, or would it be a flat fee to list an item?

I think that you won't need any advertisement. I think that word will spread like wild fire. It would be so great to not have to use ebay ever again. Thanks Steve for considering this.

Beth
Melissas Babies

Post by Melissas Babies »

Excellent Idea, I hate evil bay!!!
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
Sherry Lewis

Post by Sherry Lewis »

Sounds very good....I cut all selling ties off with ebay over a year ago. The only selling I have done is on DF, so I would be interested...and besides, sales have got to pick up one of these days....right?? :?
RanelleK

Post by RanelleK »

I'm on board...and I love the idea of seller stores.
kazaz

Post by kazaz »

would be awesome
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

ElizabethBellaMiaBabies wrote:Here is my thought. I love the idea. Here are a few questions that I have,
-Can anyone bid on our items, or do they have to be a member of doll-fan?
-Would there be a final value fee, or would it be a flat fee to list an item?

I think that you won't need any advertisement. I think that word will spread like wild fire. It would be so great to not have to use ebay ever again. Thanks Steve for considering this.

Beth
thanks for the input all.

To the first question it would almost have to be a separate registration from DF meaning anyone could sign up to use it and doesn't have to be a part of the DF forums.

I really don't like the idea of charging to list an item....maybe for something like if a seller wanted to highlight an auction and have it show up on the main page or main part of the category(if it ever gets busy enough for that) and instead am thinking a final value fee as you state..I'm assuming you mean if it actually sells. If it doesn't sell there wouldn't be any charge other than what was just mentioned. That's what I'm thinking but seeking ideas on what would work as far as cost to the seller. A flat fee and or percentage depending on the amount of the sale but don't want to get into all the individual charges that I'm assuming eBay still does...that's where I'm especially looking for suggestions so feel free to comment on what you think would be appropriate.

thanks,
Steve

btw, it just occurred to me that some may be concerned with the current setup of DF with the classified posts..I don't plan on changing anything on the board where if an auction site is created one here can still utilize the existing forums for selling.
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Leslien

Post by Leslien »

I like the idea very much>>
piccolissimobaby(tiina)

Post by piccolissimobaby(tiina) »

I would list items here, only use ebay once or twice a year due to cost... so good idea!!!
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

LOVE the idea!!!! I'm in.
Judith19

Post by Judith19 »

I would be glad to use it~~the thought of listing again on eBay frightens me~~~~
AZRAYA $350.00 SOLD

casienipper

Post by casienipper »

I think it's a great idea and I would use it. I don't have any other input as I don't know a thing about setting up an auction site and I don't use ebay any more. Just wanted to voice my support though. :)
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I think it is a wonderful idea. I am using eBay and also Etsy right now. Here are my fees for ebay to list one doll:
Current Balance: US $3.10 This is just to list a doll three times for not selling. It is not a reborn.
If you want an idea of the fees here you go:
Reserve Price Listing Fee $2.00
Buy It Now Listing Fee $0.25 x 3
Gallery Plus Fee $0.35
ETSY FEES
(I have only two items currently in my store)
Jul 08 $0.20 USD ($12.00 USD this is what my item cost is)
Jul 02 $0.20 USD ($79.99 USD)
This covers an item listing period of four months
When an item sells, there's a 3.5% fee on the final sale price (not including shipping). All fees are in US dollars. All listings are created equal, with 5 images included in the price.

I don't know which is better, I still plan to list on my website also, which is FREE. It seems I get the most exposure on ebay. Right now I was able to relist the doll again for free. But I have tons of things I need to sell. It would be nice if you could work something out, Steve. Count me in. :D
EDITED to add my prices
Geri

Post by Geri »

I have wondered why you haven't already tried to have an auction site. This is a hugely popular forum and a lot of buying and selling already takes place. It would be great to have a sister auction site. Exposure would not be a problem, word of mouth would do the trick. I would definitely be in........
Andreas_Dream_Babies

Post by Andreas_Dream_Babies »

That would be great! I would love to never need evilbay again!
Susan thenurserymaid

Post by Susan thenurserymaid »

As a buyer, not seller, I would purchase only from an auction site that mandated payment through paypal.

just thought i'd very quietly throw that in there....just a thought...bye
Kristalyn

Post by Kristalyn »

After getting screwed over yesterday by a buyer on ebay I'm all for an auction site on here. I think we have all gotten to know each other well enough to know who can be trusted and who can't when it comes to buying and selling.

Ebay charges 2.9% plus .30 for each sale in the USA and 3.9% plus .30 for transactions outside the US. :)
Geri

Post by Geri »

I wanted to add that the site would need to be user friendly. Also, Ebay has changed everything in favor of the buyer and is not giving the sellers a fair break anymore.

If all the DF members would pitch in we wouldn't need Ebay anymore, I think that would be great!
karinabrandt

Post by karinabrandt »

I think it would be absolutely wonderful.

on ebay we get kicked off for this and that and nothing, one wrong wording in an auction and it gets pulled. We spend too much money on nothing there...if we could turn it around so buyers would join DF and shop through here, it would be a massive acheivement I think.

I hope it becomes reality.

hugs
karina
Visit my new website with unique handknit and sewn clothes for dolls, babies and toddlers
New location on http://www.beautiful-baby.dk
Sandra from WV

Post by Sandra from WV »

I have a closet full of dolls to sell and hate the thought of dealing with eBay... :evil:
I would definitely use a Doll-fan auction site. :D