Fairly large board update in an hour or two...

Announcement Board - Please check this forum often!
Steve
Site Admin

Re: Fairly large board update in an hour or two...

Post by Steve »

Alexandkatiesmommy(Lisa) wrote:When I click BOARD INDEX at the top, it takes me to home instead when I am in certain sections...

Did we have a format similiar to this one several years back?
What sections are those? Are you sure you're not clicking on the logo above board index? no, this isn't the same format....it's actually closer to the stock version of the initial developers of this board though it's pretty heavily modified.

Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

justme1510_Linda wrote:I like the new look although the colors are a bit bright for these tired old eyes.....
And how come I have to sign on every time I come back to DF? Used to keep me signed on unless I hat to reboot my computer....now I have to sign on everytime I open up DF in a new window......
Can that be fixed? Pretty please.
something has changed on your end...the functionality of remembering a user operates fine as long as your computer isn't deleting or blocking cookies. Some ISP's like AOL who change ip address blocks all of the time can effect whether a users pc is seen as the same. It also wouldn't matter if one reboots their computer or not for cookies aren't deleted by a reboot of a pc unless there is a program(like anti-virus) set to do so.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

AnitaG wrote:Sending you a pat on the back for all the hard work! :D
I have one question that hopefully you can answer. Before when I would go to a specific category ( example "Reborns Babies For Sale"), the new posts and any post I had not read previously were in a bold print. Now "all" subject lines come up bold. Can't tell by a glance if I've read them or not. Do you happen to know if that is the new set up or something on my end that I need to reset???

Thanks! :D
Anita
There's a block that looks like Image next to threads with all new posts.
Same functionality..different way of going about it.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Pams Little Blessings wrote:Steve, is there any way we can change the back ground colors ?
not right now but one of the reasons I switched styles is that the way this is developed will make it easier to create similar ones with different colors.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Mandysbabies wrote:Is there any way to put the "view new posts" on every page instead of just the front page?
I'm sure there is but it's way down the list ;)

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
justme1510_Linda

Post by justme1510_Linda »

Steve wrote:
justme1510_Linda wrote:I like the new look although the colors are a bit bright for these tired old eyes.....
And how come I have to sign on every time I come back to DF? Used to keep me signed on unless I hat to reboot my computer....now I have to sign on everytime I open up DF in a new window......
Can that be fixed? Pretty please.
something has changed on your end...the functionality of remembering a user operates fine as long as your computer isn't deleting or blocking cookies. Some ISP's like AOL who change ip address blocks all of the time can effect whether a users pc is seen as the same. It also wouldn't matter if one reboots their computer or not for cookies aren't deleted by a reboot of a pc unless there is a program(like anti-virus) set to do so.

thanks,
Steve
Thanks....never had this problem before and nothing had changed here, but I went into the control panel and allowed this site so now it doesn't make me sign in again and again.....
Thanks Steve!!!
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

A change made since last night that many of you will notice now is that posts with very large pictures in them would create a scroll bar on the bottom for those who used a resolution smaller than what could displayed for them on the screen. For instance, I have my resolution set to 1280 X 1024 while there are still many out there who use 800 X 600. The latter/smaller resolution basically shows much less realestate of a page on such a users monitor and forces greater need for scrollbars to be able to view everything. This also has the side-effect of large images breaking some things but for a "cleaner" way of dealing with it all images now are displayed within the post at a maximum size....if the image is too large/above that size there is a magnifying glass on the top left of the image if clicked on will pop up the image in a new window with the ability to show full size/greater detail if wanted. Like a few other things on this site it depends on javascript running on your browser...make sure it's enabled(which it is by default in all browsers) if you run into problems with it.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

oh, and something that works fairly well is the A near the top right of the page...for those who want to increase the font size of what is displaying that will toggle text size for you.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
April

Post by April »

Why is new posts on the pages way down on the list? I hate changes. Sorry to sound ungrateful, but why fix what isn't broken? :?
Sonja

Post by Sonja »

Everything looks good except the color and it looks like that can be changed maybe at a later date?
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

April wrote:Why is new posts on the pages way down on the list? I hate changes. Sorry to sound ungrateful, but why fix what isn't broken? :?
sorry but I have no idea what you are referring to....by default the forums are ordered by posting time so new posts always show at top. Individual users have always had the option to change in their UCP how the posts and topics are ordered, though which is in "edit display options" under "board preferences" so I'd check there. As far as what is broke or not leading to change every time there is an update users complain of the change....honestly, I know pretty much the ins and outs of how this board runs and while you might not think there were issues with the previous version there were and it needed to be addressed; there will probably be issues with this one as well for the code that goes into something like this is an ever changing process not just for functionality but to match the ever-changing use of newer technology...especially with the plethora of browsers that are updating lately.
thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa

Post by Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa »

What sections are those? Are you sure you're not clicking on the logo above board index? no, this isn't the same format....it's actually closer to the stock version of the initial developers of this board though it's pretty heavily modified.Steve
It just seems familiar to me. But I have a lousy memory anyhow. To be completely honest, now that I have used this board all day, I can barely remember what the last one looked like :oops: I like it just fine now that I can use that A to enlarge my print a bit. Yes,,,you are right..I am clicking on the DOLLFAN icon occasionally as the BOARD INDEX is partly obstructed, Now that I click further down, I have no problem. Thanks Steve.
April

Post by April »

Steve, on each page before there was an option to view new posts. Now when I want to hit new posts I have to go back to the home page. I guess I will get used to it though.

Now that I made the font larger, it is better. :wink:
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks so much! Love the new look!

Only thing im having trouble with is have to log in each time I come back, even though I click remember me!
Geri

Post by Geri »

April wrote:Steve, on each page before there was an option to view new posts. Now when I want to hit new posts I have to go back to the home page. I guess I will get used to it though.

Now that I made the font larger, it is better. :wink:
I miss the View New Posts on every page too. It takes me longer to get around the board.....
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Bertie wrote:Thanks so much! Love the new look!

Only thing im having trouble with is have to log in each time I come back, even though I click remember me!
That isn't from the change in the board but when I update the board(and I'm still doing some minor stuff) I need to clear what is called the session table in the database which is what keeps track of user logins...when I clear it everyone needs to log back in again and I've cleared it a few times over the last few days. The last was Friday morning and if you've logged in since then you shouldn't have needed to log back in again...I think I'm pretty much done with the updates that require me to do that, btw.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

Alexandkatiesmommy(Lisa) wrote:
What sections are those? Are you sure you're not clicking on the logo above board index? no, this isn't the same format....it's actually closer to the stock version of the initial developers of this board though it's pretty heavily modified.Steve
It just seems familiar to me. But I have a lousy memory anyhow. To be completely honest, now that I have used this board all day, I can barely remember what the last one looked like :oops: I like it just fine now that I can use that A to enlarge my print a bit. Yes,,,you are right..I am clicking on the DOLLFAN icon occasionally as the BOARD INDEX is partly obstructed, Now that I click further down, I have no problem. Thanks Steve.
Do you know how to take a screen shot of the top left of the board? The logo is designed to be above those links but there should be some separation and I've tested every major browser with the update but there could be some versions (older I.E. versions come to mind) which might not recognize what it is supposed to be.

thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
Donna Lee Originals

Post by Donna Lee Originals »

Steve,
before...when I would click on a post...it would change the color of that link so that when I went back to look, I could easily tell which links I had clicked and which I hadn't.
But now, all the hyperlinked topics stay the same color (even after I have clicked on them).

Can you change it so that the hyperlinked topics will turn a different color after you click on them???

I hope you can change it back.......thanks Steve!! :D :D :)
thanks
Donna lee

~~Full Body silicone Elsie-Mae below~~
http://www.donnaleeoriginals.com/ElsieMae.html :heart: :heart:

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

the only reason it changed color is because it denoted that you had read the posts in the topic once you clicked on it...it would change back to the origional color once a new post was in the thread..please read above to tell the same thing by the image which shows which topics have new posts in them.
thanks,
Steve
Loves of My Life
Van & Hudson
Benjamin & Margaret
LINDA in Michigan

Post by LINDA in Michigan »

Steve wrote:oh, and something that works fairly well is the A near the top right of the page...for those who want to increase the font size of what is displaying that will toggle text size for you.

thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve

Any chance you can make a larger print size available other than the sizes already there in the A font size. The print here on doll-fan is NOT as large as other web sites and have already tried everything else.

Thanks,
Linda