Sculptors baking eyes in before sculpting?

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
debsangelbabies

Sculptors baking eyes in before sculpting?

Post by debsangelbabies »

Hi ladies

anyone bake the eyes in before starting your sculpt? how does it work for you? i have tried it for the first time and so far so good :) lets hope it works out ok

Debs
VeraSusiesDollies

Re: Sculptors baking eyes in before sculpting?

Post by VeraSusiesDollies »

I found it haard to sculpt aroung them, but only tried it once.
Melsie

Post by Melsie »

I've done it a couple of times, but only with mini's. Didn't have any problems with it at all and really like it because I didn't have any problems with eyes slipping or shifting as I worked close to them. Haven't tried a full size sculpt though...
solnaoriginals

Post by solnaoriginals »

I always bake the eyes in before doing the head. It's the only way I can be sure the eyes won't move. I wouldn't know how to sculpt a head any other way.
NewbornNestLori

Post by NewbornNestLori »

I stick a crochet hook in behind the eyes, if I dont like how they shifted before baking....then I make a "worm" of clay and fill in that gap...
That way I can get the eyes side glancing if I want, to add extra personality
Shirleyatkins

Post by Shirleyatkins »

debsangelbabies wrote:Hi ladies

anyone bake the eyes in before starting your sculpt? how does it work for you? i have tried it for the first time and so far so good :) lets hope it works out ok

Debs
Was it a foam form or all tin foil skull as my eyes move it's very annoying or do u put first layer of clay on thanks shirley
YivArtDolls

Post by YivArtDolls »

I have done it many times. It sure helps to keep them from moving around. Especially since I sculpt small babies. The eyes are so tiny and difficult to fix once they shift.
~Valerie~Anne~

Post by ~Valerie~Anne~ »

Great idea. It drives me crazy when the eyes shift. Thanks!
Emma Rose
Phyllis Seidl

Post by Phyllis Seidl »

Hello Ladies,
Very interesting question and informative answers. I was drawn in particular to Valerie Anne's posted picture of her head sculpt. It is really beautiful and got me moving enough to sent her a message. I received her answer and because I'm such a dork couldn't respond to her Thank you.
Have to get on here enough to know how to use it. Since I am on here now I will ask you Valerie Ann a question? What is the clay you are using? I have used Italian modelling clay, earthenware clay, paper clay and polymer clay but that clay looks very different.
I'm an original doll artist working mainly in porcelain but have been inactive for a long time. Want to do something different so looking at learning about re-borns.
Thanks for your lovely welcome Valerie Anne. Feels good.
Looking forward to getting to know the doll people on the forum.
Phyl Seidl