Styrofoam inside or tinfoil only?

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
Addie85

Styrofoam inside or tinfoil only?

Post by Addie85 »

Hello everyone! Just wondering what is more commonly used when sculpting a head out of clay? Use styrofoam inside the head or use only tinfoil to build the head shape? Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
sherrys little pipsqueaks

Re: Styrofoam inside or tinfoil only?

Post by sherrys little pipsqueaks »

Hi Addie, This is just me but I use tinfoil (aluminum foil)for both mini and full size, I feel like I'm really sculpting but on the other hand I don't think anyone cares. What matters is the end result. Who am I anyway. Just giving you my opinion. hugs Sherry
Qhloe

Post by Qhloe »

You can use either, I'd always used foil inside, but keep in mind that foil gets very hot when you heat it, and sometimes causes polymer clays to crack.

I've never used these before, but Secret sells these...

Addie85

Post by Addie85 »

Thanks!
Jennifer Sussmann

Post by Jennifer Sussmann »

I've tried the forms above. I take a dremmel and I sand off the nose, ears and lip...that way you can do more with the sculpt. It is great for a begining sculpt...but if you want to be able to get different expressions, just dremmel those off. Also make sure you don't make clay too thin..I had one crack all up after a bit bc I made clay to thin. Most times I use tin foil wrapped with floral tape. Good luck!! Jen
Jennifer Sussmann-Price/Tiny Tot Collectables
teresabsummer10

Post by teresabsummer10 »

were to get forms?
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

I think Jack Johnson or Johnston sells them too
Pat Moulton Originals

Post by Pat Moulton Originals »

I Wanted to jump in about the head armatures .the way I used to do it was the foil because you can form it into the skull . I now make a real baby skulls armatures to sculpt on that way the head is shaped like a true baby's head ; I have them in many sizes for sell on my website patmoultonsbabycollection.com

I also suggest once you take your head out of the oven to place right into ice water in your sink for at least 30 minutes , that way your sure there will never be any cracks in your sculpt ...it works every time ....

Hope I have helped in your sculpting adventure :D
Pat Moulton Baby Artist
NewbornNestLori

Post by NewbornNestLori »

Pat Moultons baby skulls are LIFE .....!!!!!!! :heart:

Pat Moulton Originals wrote:I Wanted to jump in about the head armatures .the way I used to do it was the foil because you can form it into the skull . I now make a real baby skulls armatures to sculpt on that way the head is shaped like a true baby's head ; I have them in many sizes for sell on my website patmoultonsbabycollection.com

I also suggest once you take your head out of the oven to place right into ice water in your sink for at least 30 minutes , that way your sure there will never be any cracks in your sculpt ...it works every time ....

KeishaJay

Post by KeishaJay »

Keep in mind also that styrofoam shrinks with heat. That's why I've never used it.
Pat Moulton Originals

Thank you and yes the styrofoam shrinks and then they rattle inside of the head ...
Pat Moulton Baby Artist
NewbornNestLori

Post by NewbornNestLori »

Pat Moulton Originals wrote:Thank you and yes the styrofoam shrinks and then they rattle inside of the head ...
Hey Keisha...!
When that shrinkage occurs, I simply take some super soft Cluster-Fluff cotton filling & pack it right inside your head. (Uhh buoy...NOT YOUR head, the clay sculpt head)
Lolololololol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I crack myself up!!

Pack that cotton in & around the styro shrinky-dink & VOILA :heart:
ten tiny toes babies nursery

Post by ten tiny toes babies nursery »

NewbornNestLori wrote: Pat Moultons baby skulls are LIFE .....!!!!!!! :heart:

hi pat can you ship to the uk, ? will you be making a full bodied armature for the medium size head x

Pat Moulton Originals wrote:I Wanted to jump in about the head armatures .the way I used to do it was the foil because you can form it into the skull . I now make a real baby skulls armatures to sculpt on that way the head is shaped like a true baby's head ; I have them in many sizes for sell on my website patmoultonsbabycollection.com

Pat Moulton Originals

Yes I can ship to the UK just email me with your mailing information and your order ..at pat@patmoulton.net
Pat Moulton Baby Artist
ten tiny toes babies nursery

Post by ten tiny toes babies nursery »

thank you pat i will do x
Pat Moulton Originals

Great :) thank you
Pat Moulton Baby Artist