The Full Body Sculpt Process. . .

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
Carol Kneisley Studios

The Full Body Sculpt Process. . .

Post by Carol Kneisley Studios »

I promised a tutorial of sorts on sculpting and putting together the full body baby. This is my method and I am constantly improving upon it. But, I am comfortable enough with the process that I am willing to share it with you. Please feel free to ask further questions. I also welcome your tricks and suggestions. The thing that keeps me going is the challenge of doing a better sculpt!!

I start by sculpting the head...I form the base in foil to the exact shape and dimension of a newborn skull. My guide is a skull replica of a 40 week fetus. I sculpt on an aluminum dowel. This sets the emotion of the rest of the sculpt. I bake the head.

Next, I sculpt the very lower part of the torso on an aluminum cone shaped vase. I measure electrical wire the length of the legs and adhere it to a foil base. The genital area and legs are all sculpted upside down. I then carefully transfer the sculpt to a smaller and less tall cone for baking. I bake it in the upside down position.

I fill the tummy area with foil to achieve the torso fullness. I use Apoxy clay to insert an electrical wire into the head, and I then use Apoxy clay to insert the head wire into the body. I secure the body with masking tape as well as duct tape and some additional reinforcement with Apoxy. Attach another piece of wire across the back of the neck and extending out to the shoulders and upper arm. Tape and epoxy in place.

I sculpt the arms and hands to just above the elbow. I use short aluminum dowels, measured electrical wire and foil. Bake.

Next, see how the arms fit with the body...slide them onto the upper arm wires.

Turn over and sculpt the back from the bottom to the neck. Bake

Sculpt the tummy from the crotch to the neck. Insert the arms permanently and secure with epoxy. Bake.

Fill in the shoulder areas and sculpt all of the upper arms. Bake the entire doll for the last time.

I paint with Genesis paint...many layers drying with the heat gun and finally a 6-7 minute bake of the whole doll.

I hope that this has been helpful for you...I use Sculpey Bake and Bond wherever I join baked clay to unbaked clay. It insures a smooth and permanent joint. Please feel free to ask questions any step of the way. I will do my best to share what i know.
Kate Charles

Re: The Full Body Sculpt Process. . .

Post by Kate Charles »

Amazing! Thank you for showing the "behind the scenes"...I find this whole process so fascinating!
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Thank you so much for all the information.... your work is just super special!!!! Ruth :heart:
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

OMG Carol, that was awesome and extremely helpful.. It gives me lots of ideas. I have a question though, do you ever have a problem with cracking? And if you do what do you do to prevent it and to fix it when it happens? My heads crack quite a bit and I think it may be because I take it out of the oven too soon. Before it has cooled. Might that be it? Thanks for the tutorial. :)
Carol Kneisley Studios

I believe that cracking happens when your underlying form is unstable. Make sure that all foil is taped and joined securely. There is a lot of expanding and contracting when the form bakes, and if your under form is too loose, it will result in a stress crack when the sculpt cools. If I have a recurring crack, I dig it out and fill it in with a little Apoxy, and then apply clay again.
Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

So interesting! Wonderful sculpting....wow...thanks for sharing!
LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

Post by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS »

Carol Kneisley Studios wrote:I believe that cracking happens when your underlying form is unstable. Make sure that all foil is taped and joined securely. There is a lot of expanding and contracting when the form bakes, and if your under form is too loose, it will result in a stress crack when the sculpt cools. If I have a recurring crack, I dig it out and fill it in with a little Apoxy, and then apply clay again.
What kind of Apoxy do you use to fix the cracks? Do you always only use Cernit? I tried it a couple of times but it was just too hard for me. How do you prepare the clay for sculpting? Thank you so much!
Last edited by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Thanks for the reply Carol. I just haven't been sure if it was the form I use or of I didn't bake long enough or if I needed to let it cool down more slowly so thanks so much and I will make sure to stabilize the forms better when I use foil. Last time I used one of those vinyl forms from secrist and it helped so I think you are right and it must be the foil I was using before. :)
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

This is very interesting. Your baby is so darling.. you have to be a great sculptor for proportions to do this, which you do very well!!! I will leave the sculpting to the professionals and just enjoy the finished product. :D
maria@babiessoreal

Post by maria@babiessoreal »

Fabulous!!! Loved seeing this!!! Thank you!
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH CAROL!!!! How wonderful of you to share this. It's amazing. The baby looks so great. I hope I can find this when I need it. I wish Steve would make it Sticky!!!! It's so helpful.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
kazachan_Karen

Post by kazachan_Karen »

Very interesting to see a little behind the scenes. Thanks for sharing.
Lilianne

Post by Lilianne »

THAT'S FASCINATING CAROL...WHAT AN AMAZING NEW BORN BABY.
I :heart: :heart: TO SEE THE WHOLE PROCESS. THANKS FOR SHARING.. :hug:
Carol Kneisley Studios

I pull my parts out of the oven immediately after they are baked. I very seldom have any cracking problem, but if a crack is going to appear, it is best to force it and see it now rather than later. To treat a crack, I cut it out and deep. Then I fill it with a very small amount of Apoxy clay...push a little foil into it and let it set. (Much like filling a tooth) Then use Sculpey Bake and Bond and sculpt over with fresh clay. I do a lot of sanding on the finished product, so these are never visible and the result is stronger than the original!
malopez

Post by malopez »

Oh Carol!!!!
It is absolutely incredible.
Thank you so much for sharing your work, you're a great artist!!!!
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Amazing tutorial! You really inspired me to try my hand at sculpting... this tutorial is one of the most effective I've seen.
sherrys little pipsqueaks

Post by sherrys little pipsqueaks »

Carol, just amazing!!!! Now what will this baby be? A full silicone , an ooak baby just as is, a reborn in full vinyl ? Anyway , I really really loved seeing how you go about sculpting wonderful wonderful babies.
Carol Kneisley Studios

This baby will remain an OOAK, and she has been SOLD already.
nonnikaycarolyn

Post by nonnikaycarolyn »

A BIG thank you for sharing...this is a fascinating art! Now if I could just sculpt like you...LOL
Blessings,
Carolyn
Qhloe

Post by Qhloe »

Wow! Thank you so much, this is wonderful!