I'm Interested...

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
lauren_211

I'm Interested...

Post by lauren_211 »

I have been looking at this forum for a little while and I'm very interested in sculpting. I know it will probably take a while to get started but I was wondering what kind of clay I should use. I live in the US so I'm not sure if I would be able to use anything out of country. I would really appreciate everyone's help as I journey into sculpting. I think It will be loads of fun to see what I can come up with :D

Thanks so much in advance,
Lauren :heart:
DMKreiser

Re: I'm Interested...

Post by DMKreiser »

I have no advice on what to use but good luck and have fun with it!
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

My favorite polymer clay to use is Cernit. It is stronger than other polymer clays and it doesn't crack like Prosculpt and Sculpey do. (some people don't hsave any issues with cracking but on my full size dolls I ALWAYS have cracking issues when I use Prosculpt or Sculpey. I do use Suclpey for my sculpts that will be for a mold but for my large OOAK's I like to use Cernit exclusively now. (for my minis I still use Prosculpt) Cernit is harder to use cause it is a bit like kneading old chewing gum and my fingers get sore sometimes but it is worth it cause of the translucence and the strength. You might have to work with different types like I did until you find the right clay for you. :)
KeishaJay

Post by KeishaJay »

If you're just starting out, I would recommend Super Sculpey. It's very easy to work with and relatively cheap. A 1-lb. block is $14 at the local craft store. I still use it, and I've only ever had cracks from dropping sculpts or sculpting too thick. Aluminum foil and baby oil will be your friends as you start this journey. Best of luck. I'm always happy to answer questions too.
bornanna

Post by bornanna »

Have you read anything in the Sculpting section...there are several who have shared info about it.
Also check YouTube and watch a few videos. Have fun...
lauren_211

Post by lauren_211 »

Thanks so much ladies! I am really looking forward to start sculpting! :D