hello everyone , ... any smoothing tips please .

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
laina

hello everyone , ... any smoothing tips please .

Post by laina »

Just wanted to say hi everyone ;0) I'm laina from the UK .... I've been sculpting on and off for around a year now, I got to level 2 advanced sculpting with Ruth Annette ...I've almost finished a baby head now (3rd gen ) , but its driving me insane trying to smooth it out.;0( ive tried baby oil , and also nail varnish remover , and water ! and spit lol ..... I will try and post some pics soon ... loving the all the gorgeous babies and the advice on here so far !
Tina

Re: hello everyone , ... any smoothing tips please .

Post by Tina »

I cannot offer advice on your sculpting but I would like to welcome you to DollFan, I hope you enjoy it here. x
jeannesteenies

Post by jeannesteenies »

I think that gel hand sanitizer works best for smoothing the clay.
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

Just got a tip from Joe McPhale (an awesome BJD sculptor). He uses alcohol on a soft paintbrush or a soft cloth on the raw clay. It works great! Use it sparingly.
laina

Post by laina »

ooohhhh ! thank you , I will try both of those methods .
NewbornNestLori

Post by NewbornNestLori »

Yupperoni....! I use a flat soft paintbrush & a smidge of either Jack Johnstons smoothing oil OR baby oil, sparingly. Squirt some out on a palette & dip your brush into the oil lightly & brush in nice smooth strokes. It works really well,
I L :heart: VE this method. Once I get my bubba looking how I envision, I let it sit for a while, to soak in & sorta settle.
If needed after a day or so, simply use some alcohol on a paintbrush as well.....to remove light lint & stuff.

Boy oh boy, I realize how incredibly "Scientific" these methods really are :wink: but you get the general idea, (wink wink;)
Let me know if you have questions and/or feel free to message me!!!
Great job so far!!
Smiles,
Lori
~Valerie~Anne~

Post by ~Valerie~Anne~ »

What about smoothing after baking, are there any tricks of the trade regarding sanding? Acetone seems to help the tiny scratch marks but I've read that acetone eats away at the clay. Any advice is appreciated. :D
Emma Rose