LIPS

This section is for all our talented ladies who wish to share their OOAK gifts with others.
vegirobin

LIPS

Post by vegirobin »

First I will start out by saying that I am not an expert. There are alot of ladies out there that sculpt fabulous lips! So, I am always trying to improve on what I do too.

This is a little ditty on how I do lips. It's not about noses, chins, cheeks, eyes.... nothing but the lips. It might seem a little creepy to see that the whole top of the head is missing but I hope you still get the idea.

I sculpted this in some old SS I had laying around (I usually use Prosculpt on my OOAKS).

I rolled a ball of clay so I had a working surface.

I put a rough nose on it just for orientation and pressed the indent where the mouth should be.

A little piece of clay for the upper lip.

Just under the nose.

Blend.... hey, he's happier already.

Press up with your finger to make the mouth fuller. Roll your finger along this ridge to create the roundness you want.

Something like this.

Make your little lip dent (philtrum?) and define the lip ridge with your tool.

It's hard to see in this picture... but I take the tool and pull it down the lip... like I am raking the surface of the lip from the top to the inside in a round motion.

A little clay for the bottom lip and maybe some of the chin.

I'm not really going to leave it this big! :)

I did a bit more of that "raking" on this lip (but exaggerated) so you could see what I meant.

Huge lip, huh? LOL.

I did some more smoothing on the sides.

The "Magic" of the rubber tool. This part is SO important. The bottom lip needs to taper in at the sides and be recessed more than the top lip. This will help you accomplish this.

Get the idea? Obviously, this lip/nose combo seems why out of proportion because there's no top to the head.

I wasn't intending on sculpting a whole baby head but I added this clay to the top so you'd get a better idea.

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone or not but I hope so!!
Hugs,
Robin
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

Robin,
You are beautiful!!!! What a doll!
Thank you so much for doing this!!!! I love little 'tutorials' like this. It inspires me and helps me feel confident to tackle my clay!!!
I can do this!!!!
Hugs
Kris
Ticki

Post by Ticki »

Robin,
What a great tutorial! Like Kris, (Hi Kris :) ) I love little tutorials! You are always such a great help!
While we are on the "lips" subject... what do you use for a slight gloss on the lips?

Smiles, Ticki
Wildgarden-Jane

Post by Wildgarden-Jane »

Thank you Robin! This is a most helpful tutorial...and great pics to go along with the 'how to' words. I agree....these mini steps really help those of us still feeling our way.
Also love, love your new baby face! :D
Jane
tammyaltic

Post by tammyaltic »

Robin, thank you so much, this tutorial will help me out a bunch. This is where I was getting hung up at and very frustrated, now I can finally get a lip to work out for me thanks to you. I am so happy now. Thanks again Robin your Great. Tammy
RachelB

Post by RachelB »

ita, I will also try it this way!, now I need one on your cute little nose. I have hard time with that too.
vegirobin

Post by vegirobin »

Awe... you're all so sweet! Thank you!!

I use a satin gloss for the lips (DecoArt DuraClear Satin). Sometimes I add a shiny gloss in the very opening of the mouth.

Hugs,
Robin
Lullabydolls*Janet*

Post by Lullabydolls*Janet* »

Robin thank you for sharing this with us, I know only too well, the time involved with doing these tutorials, you are very thoughtful Janet
Deniseyf

Post by Deniseyf »

wow thats great Robin
i agree with Janet
its so thoughtful of you
to take the time to do this :D

its going to be of help
to a lot of people im sure of that :D
great clear pics too
angiemomma4

Post by angiemomma4 »

That's so cool Robin!
And very kind. I know it is hard to stop and do pic by pic. I am terrible at that.

Angie
Ticki

Post by Ticki »

Thanks so much again, Robin. You are just wonderful :o)
I checked out your "ear" tutorial too. You and Janet are so great with dolly advice!! Thanks so much!!

Dolly hugs and smiles,
Ticki
vegirobin

Post by vegirobin »

Thank you again so much Angie and Ticki! I've told Janet privately before but I have to say again.... she is truly one of the most sweet, supportive and encouraging people. She is so generous with her time and sculpting advice. She's a terrific lady as is Carol too.

Hugs,
Robin
vegirobin

Post by vegirobin »

Bump :)
Yia

Post by Yia »

Robin,

That was great.

I want one of those tools with the red tip. Where did you get it? Where can I get one?

Thanks,
Yia
RanelleK

Post by RanelleK »

Thank you so much. I am doing my first sculpt and I have spent two days trying to get lips that I am happy with. You have no idea how helpful this is. How very generous of you.
vegirobin

Re: LIPS

Post by vegirobin »

Someone recently asked me about lips. This was a sort of primative tutorial to say the least but I'm bumping it for her. Hugs!
Sam20

Post by Sam20 »

Thank you so much for posting this! I always have trouble sculpting the mouths!!!
rhonda

Post by rhonda »

thanks so much for that! Great tutorial and it is so considerate of you to share your knowledge.
hugs,
vegirobin

Post by vegirobin »

I was surprised to see that was like 2 1/2 years ago.

Ladonna

Post by Ladonna »

Oh thank you thank you (((((((hugs)))))) It could of been me, that pm'd you.