• Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

A fair way to sell FULL silicone babies????

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.

A fair way to sell FULL silicone babies????

Postby Vikki Ebbeling » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:29 am

Hello ! :)
I would like to direct these questions to artists and collectors alike.

I am really scratching my head on a fair way to sell the FULL body silicone's ????

How can artists FAIRLY sell their full body silicone dolls when there is such a demand at this time for them?

Should artists just state that there will be NO MORE than 15 made worldwide...leaving them to decide when to quit?

I am wondering if artist's should even take orders at all ?

I think every artist hopes that once an edition size is set... the molds will hold out until the last order is fulfilled (if they decide to take orders)...I can't imagine other wise! My husband does all my molds and casts my babies. I consider him to be an excellent mold maker...but sometimes the molds for who knows what reason...give out before they should! During the curing of the molds sometimes a small weakness in the silicone is not detected. After a few times of using it...it tears!!! Not all the original pieces hold up in the process of making the molds....so then....it is impossible to recreate an exact mold.
A resin casting can be made when the original clay piece is pulled...but I feel some of the details are not quite the same as the original ...even with the best quality of resin.

I would so appreciate your opinions...so I can consider them and come up with my own understanding of FAIRNESS!
Thanks so much!........Hugs :heart: ....Vikki

I HAVE NOT COMPLETELY DECIDED......BUT....I think being fair to ALL would be this:
How about...say...If an artist does 10 dolls in her edition.... the first 5 babies are offered one at a time. The baby could be announced on the artists web site (if she/he has one) and on Facebook (assuming the artist has a facebook account) and on any and all doll forums the artist is on.A simple statement can be made that a NEW baby has arrived and a few picture's posted!!! Then all the details will be on the artists web site/facebook/ or doll forum. ANY interest on that particular baby by a collector....name will be taken...a number issued....and a lottery type of thing done on a certain day. The winning number wins the chance to purchase the doll...this could be done for all 5 dolls. The remaining 5 will go on ebay. To me that seems well rounded.

The other thing I was thinking...is only past customers/friends get a chance at the dolls first...if any left....ebay them???
Last edited by Vikki Ebbeling on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vikki Ebbeling

Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

Re: A fair way to sell FULL silicone babies????

Postby safcfootienut_Jo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am

I think because the full silicones are so flavour of the month no matter what you do someone is going to be upset. When considereing fairness I think it is also important to consider what is fair for the artist....you want a sale with the minimum amount of fuss and repercussions.

I like your idea of saying there are only going to be X number of dolls maximum worldwide. Lists seem to cause a big problem so maybe you could do a preview list and say doll 1 will be ready on such and such a date doll 2 by another etc. Maybe it could be like a lotteryof sorts ?? You show the finished doll and everyone who is interested contacts you and gets a number (stating if they are paying in full or layaway) You would need to have your layaway details set out so people know how they would have to pay. On the day the doll is due you pull a number and whoever has the number gets first refusal.......sounds like a lot of work I know LOL.

Whatever you decide you cannot please everyone unfortunately. Just my two cents worth anyway.

Hugs and Good Luck with whatever you go with.

Jo in the UK
safcfootienut_Jo

Postby ttulsajess » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 am

I think you should finish them one by one and not give an edition size. If they hold up for more than 15, great! If they don't, that's okay too. The first person to contact you once you post the doll gets it. Send out the news of their arrival by mailing list and put the baby up on the forums you belong to. In my opinion, that's probably the fairest way. Keep people up to date with where you are in casting the babies by letting people know by newletter and posting. Take layaways like you usually do and that'll give everyone a chance.

Also, about personalizing hair and eyes, wait until the baby is done being painted and then post pics for everyone and then the mom can decide which hair and eye color she wants. It doesn't have to be completely done.
ttulsajess

Postby Marita Winters » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Vikki,
An artist SHOULD, of course, be able to just sell to whomever they wish, whenever they wish, and that would be ideal.

This seems to be a really emotional, hot-button issue. It is not a new issue. Eva Helland and her fans dealt with that when her dolls were THE dolls to have. The artist can save herself the grief by just staying away from doll shows and from the computer :-). Maybe if they don't see all the controversy, they will not be affected by it. This seems to be how Eva deals with it. I don't know her personally, so I am only surmising this from what I see from the outside. So, you could choose to deal with it in that way. Just sell to whomever you wish, whenever you wish, for as much as you wish. :-)
or
You could put them all on Ebay as you finish them and let people pay what they are willing to pay. This gives everyone (who can afford it) a fair chance at the doll and is good for the artist. It raises the price of these dolls to whatever the market is willing to pay. It may be more fair, but it does raise the price of the dolls, so those who want "fair" have to be willing to pay the price for it.

I don't think I would even give an edition number. It would be so disappointing to be in line for one and then not get it because the mold broke on the first or second doll. Right now, the mold issues are so common that everyone knows these editions are not going to be in the hundreds. Somehow Andrea was able to get 50 (at least that was the plan) dolls out of her Summer mold and no one seemed to mind that the number was that big. They were just thrilled to be able to get the doll that they loved.

You could do a lottery. Anyone who wants one could put their name in and you could draw out a name one at a time and do their doll for them before drawing the next name. That way if the mold broke, no one would be left without the doll promised.

As an artist, I have to say that I am more inclined to want to sell a doll to the person who has the money upfront. I do not particularly like layaways. I think that, as a customer, if you know you are wanting an expensive doll, it is your responsibility to start socking your money away, saving it up until you have enough to pay outright for it, or put it on your own credit card. It is the same as layaway - just layaway the money in your own account until you have enough. If you put your name in the lottery for one of the dolls, just start saving your money so you have it by the time your name (hopefully) gets called. I do not think it is fair to the artist to hold a doll for months. Just my opinion....please don't shoot me :-)

Enough rambling...I should be sculpting!!
Last edited by Marita Winters on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plan now to attend ROSE INTERNATIONAL DOLL SHOW - July 2015 - Denver, CO
Lexi Kit now in stock:
Marita Winters

Postby Joz_Follee » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:02 am

I think a fair way would be to totally complete the doll and then offer it for sale, and to make it fair, offer it through your web site where people that are not members of DF would have a shot at one of your babies but make an announcement here so everyone can see the baby. If someone doesn't like the eye/hair combo, they could wait for the next baby. Myself, I would rather have the artist decide and not have to make that choice. If it's a hair color or eye color I don't like, I pass because having #1 in an edition is not that important to me. As for the edition size, perhaps just say "open" but no more than 15 and then end it when the mold gives out. However, if you offered the doll for sale after completion then you could decide when to end the edition.
Joz_Follee

Postby medici » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:07 am

I think that the only fair way is the way Bonnie advertised her Saoirse silicone kits; she put them up on her site and "broadcast" the fact good time in advance. She also kept updates on FB for those who followed her. She gave the date and the exact time (and yes; I was lucky to get one because I was willing to stay up half the night and keep refreshing the order page and pushed the buy button soon as the page was up. I thought it a very fair and collector friendly way to deal with it. I know Laura did the same, but because she did only one baby at the time instead of an edition, unfortunately for some interested buyers her Cricket babies ended up with the same buyer every time (a doll shop who resold moments later at a profit; fair but sad for the collectors). So put time/date on a website and put the whole edition up like Bonnie did ensures a lot more happy ladies than disappointed ones IMO.

Hugs

Anne
Last edited by medici on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
medici

Postby LHargreaves » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 am

I think you should just sell them however you want and just stick to it.....i never jump on list or anything....i just buy one that is available if i like it....i think maybe problems come in when artists don't stick to their own set rule. Does that mae any sense?
On EBAY NOW
LHargreaves

Postby Beachwalker Mandy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 am

I think it is impossible to please everyone. The artist should be able to sell her work to whomever she chooses but that doesn't happen smoothly. If I were the artist I would love to get paid for my work right away. But from the collector's standpoint, they like the layaway option on these higher priced dolls.
The idea of the lottery system for the next baby finished in the edition is a good one. This way you wouldn't have to commit to an exact number in the edition in case the mold did fail.
Perhaps putting them on ebay is the fairest way. If the people don't have the money saved up, oh well. There will always be new babies coming along.
Beachwalker Mandy

Postby Vikki Ebbeling » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 am

Wow Thanks!...keep those answers coming!

safcfootienut_Jo....said... When considering fairness I think it is also important to consider what is fair for the artist....you want a sale with the minimum amount of fuss and repercussions.
This is for sure! I am not a complicated person...I like simple!

I like this idea
...from ttulsajess.... I think you should finish them one by one and not give an edition size. If they hold up for more than 15, great! If they don't, that's okay too.

This sounds right too! Marita Winters You could put them all on Ebay as you finish them and let people pay what they are willing to pay. This gives everyone (who can afford it) a fair chance at the doll and is good for the artist. It raises the price of these dolls to whatever the market is willing to pay. It may be more fair, but it does raise the price of the dolls, so those who want "fair" have to be willing to pay the price for it. AND THIS IDEA SEEMS GOOD!
I don't think I would even give an edition number. It would be so disappointing to be in line for one and then not get it because the mold broke on the first or second doll.

Another good idea! Joz_Follee ..said...I think a fair way would be to totally complete the doll and then offer it for sale, and to make it fair, offer it through your web site where people that are not members of DF would have a shot at one of your babies but make an announcement here so everyone can see the baby.
Vikki Ebbeling

Postby noniesgirl - Gina » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:38 am

There isn't one Vikki, because no matter what you do there will always be someone that is unhappy and will voice that unhappiness quite loudly. You sell them the way that is best and easiest for YOU! You are the one putting in all the hard work on them. :foryou:
noniesgirl - Gina

Postby Vikki Ebbeling » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:41 am

MORE GOOD IDEAS!!!

Joz_Follee ..said...I think a fair way would be to totally complete the doll and then offer it for sale, and to make it fair, offer it through your web site where people that are not members of DF would have a shot at one of your babies but make an announcement here so everyone can see the baby.

THIS SEEMS VERY FAIR TOO!
medici said.....I think that the only fair way is the way Bonnie advertised her Saoirse silicone kits; she put them up on her site and "broadcast" the fact good time in advance. She also kept updates on FB for those who followed her. She gave the date and the exact time

FOR SURE!
LHargreaves ...said ...I think you should just sell them however you want and just stick to it

I am leaning towards EBAY......advertising a date on my web site and on DF....perhaps?
Beachwalker Mandy...said.... Perhaps putting them on ebay is the fairest way.

.............THANKS!.... :heart: ....HUGS Vikki

YEP...I LIKE THIS IDEA! Seems like the easiest way to deal
Rosewood Jannie wrote:I say....put them on the *Bay*...them that has...gets :lol: Why should you sell them to people on a list...for less than you could get on Ebay? Because I can't afford a Picasso...should I have been put on a list and sold one for less? Nothing in life is fair...I can't understand why Doll people are SO wrapped up in the fairness of how an artist chooses to sell their OWN work? It's just plain crazy to me :shock:
Last edited by Vikki Ebbeling on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vikki Ebbeling

Postby Rosewood Jannie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:45 am

I say....put them on the *Bay*...them that has...gets :lol: Why should you sell them to people on a list...for less than you could get on Ebay? Because I can't afford a Picasso...should I have been put on a list and sold one for less? Nothing in life is fair...I can't understand why Doll people are SO wrapped up in the fairness of how an artist chooses to sell their OWN work? It's just plain crazy to me :shock:
I'll take this one...:heart:
And that one...:heart:
Oh..don't forget this one..:heart:
it's my favorite :heart:

Rosewood Jannie

Postby Vikki Ebbeling » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 am

noniesgirl - Gina wrote:There isn't one Vikki, because no matter what you do there will always be someone that is unhappy and will voice that unhappiness quite loudly. You sell them the way that is best and easiest for YOU! You are the one putting in all the hard work on them. :foryou:

THANKS ...I will do my best...but I do know that someone won't be happy no matter what. Just trying to get a good feel from everyone and will make my own decision in the end. No -one will be to blame but me! :lol:
Vikki Ebbeling

Postby medici » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Many collectors does not like to use ebay and prefer a sale trough forums, shops and artists. Myself included. For my antique dolls, although I will sometimes buy from ebay I, by far, prefer dealers. Even when I also have to pay more :mrgreen: I still prefer dealers.

hugs

Anne (who does not like ebay; it makes me nervous and often I will forget the auctions....)
medici

Postby anjsmiles Angie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 pm

You could put them all on Ebay as you finish them and let people pay what they are willing to pay. This gives everyone (who can afford it) a fair chance at the doll and is good for the artist. It raises the price of these dolls to whatever the market is willing to pay. It may be more fair, but it does raise the price of the dolls, so those who want "fair" have to be willing to pay the price for it.

I agree with this. Also with setting an edition number but just making them as long as the mold holds up so that you are not locked into any set number. Then you can just make them as you have time and the want to, put them up for auction starting at a price you want to let it go for and then let the buyers hash it out on bidding with the highest bidder wins. Either way these full silicone babies are sold they are out of reach for some of us financially so I am saying this from a business standpoint only.
Last edited by anjsmiles Angie on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjsmiles Angie

Postby LHargreaves » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:05 pm

I think whatever feels good for you is the perfect way :heart: I am the odd chic out and never seem to love what everybody else loves so i have no problems finding the dolls i want but i notice many seem to like the same dolls often.....It makes me glad i am odd....lololololol :elephant:
On EBAY NOW
LHargreaves

Postby LHargreaves » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm

medici wrote:Many collectors does not like to use ebay and prefer a sale trough forums, shops and artists. Myself included. For my antique dolls, although I will sometimes buy from ebay I, by far, prefer dealers. Even when I also have to pay more :mrgreen: I still prefer dealers.

hugs

Anne (who does not like ebay; it makes me nervous and often I will forget the auctions....)

Very true Anne.....i can't tell you how many times i put something on watch in ebay and forget about it and by the time i remember it has been a months...lol....my life is too busy for sitting and waiting.
On EBAY NOW
LHargreaves

Postby MonicaW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Maybe just make a doll and then sell it. Like the old days.

You never know what a doll is going to look like until it is done anyway.

With all these options to pick hair and eye color etc.

Then put it up for sale on your website and then put anoher note on the for sale section on dollfan and first person to say yes gets it.

or ebay or sell to doll dealers.
MonicaW

Postby mistygail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I guess I am in a mood but people need to grow the hell up! Good gravy! IT'S A DOLL!

LIFE is NOT fair!

Do I want babies, others have? Yes!
Do I wish I had a shot at one of Romie's babies? Heck yeah!

Was I even aware of Romie's babies before they were spoken for? NO!

Does that mean I have the right to be crappy to the artists, or the people blessed enough to get a baby I want? NO!

It is my responsibility in life to be respectful to myself and others. Not to hurt others by my words and actions. GET A DERN GRIP People!

That said the only "fair way" to sell is to make sure you ask ME FIRST if I want one of your babies. Hahahahhaaa Kidding!

I believe no matter what you do someone will be upset. I HATE the idea of ebay. I HATE that the day of being on a list for an edition is coming to a close, because I have truly enjoyed the experience of being on a list, of watching and waiting my turn.

The way Bonnie did the Saoirse ssilicone kits was reasonable. Me getting up before 3am to make sure I didn't miss out was fair, it was part of it. If I wanted her I was going to have to make some concessions to get her.

And as much as I love layaways at times I truly think that if a baby comes up for sell the person who can pay first deserves the first chance at the baby. IDK feel like I m shooting myself in the foot b6 saying that last part, but it only seems "fair" to everyone involved.

Best of luck to you Vikki, if someone gives you a hard time send them my way. I ain't skird to tell em where they can go! ;)
Misty Gail
Wife to Andy, Mom to 5
Bonified member of the
Exclusive Kangaroo Club
& Koala Club!

mistygail

Postby Shawndamom3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Ebay is probably the best idea. You are the artist so you deserve what price the market sets for your dolls. Right now I see some dolls (full bodied sili's) selling for double or more on the secondary market before the edition is even finished :shock: I say let the artists make the bucks on "their" work!
Shawndamom3

Next

Return to General Dolly Discussions