• Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

Anyone here using Secrist heat set paints?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.

Anyone here using Secrist heat set paints?

Postby Ginny W » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:08 pm

:shock: I decided I wanted to give something new a try so I ordered quite a few containers of the Scrist premixed paints to give a try to. I especially ordered every premixed lip color they have. I guess I just am never happy with the lip colors I use lately. Do you find the paints are as translucent as they say they are or do you use their thinner and make them thinner yet? I did order a bottle of their thinner just in case. I sure do like the idea of not having to worry about mixing the same color of paint when I run out before a baby is finished and then hope I made the next batch of paint the same. Can anyone comment also on how they are for causing shine and how easy they are to heat set? Any of your thoughts on this paint would be great! :mrgreen:
Newest WIP baby at ...
Loving Touch Nursery...
Visit me on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/ginny.westley/ ... 317&type=3
Ginny W

Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

Re: Anyone here using Secrist heat set paints?

Postby Metro_Stevie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Well their paint is good but not great,I use their flat glass plate and use only a tiny bit at a time(1/4 of penny sized dabs) and spread it thinly and evenly out on the glass plate/pallet..and this allows you apply very thin layers,there is no need for thinner it'll reck
the translucent idea,each jar does not really give you much,especially if you are accustomed to applying many many layers..if you are not careful with the heating or baking you get shiny parts(Genesis is better to use but I can't take the thinner any long,and it's lot more work involved using Genesis than Secrist)
Metro_Stevie

Postby MelissasNursery » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:55 pm

I dont use their paint for skintone I do use their premixed paint for details ..like creases and bottoms of feet etc and i love them! they are transparent .. sometimes I might you some thinner but if you spread the paint out its great ..I like the colors too!
Golden Giggles Nursery
Melissa~
MelissasNursery

Postby noniesgirl - Gina » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Actually, they ARE Genesis, just pre-mixed to their specifications and mixed with the Genesis thinner. I don't use the flesh colors but do like their lip colors, I use some colors for nails too, and I like some of the others for details. If you let it "dry" before baking it cuts down on the shine.
noniesgirl - Gina

Postby Californiateri » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:01 pm

I think Nicole Russel uses them - check with her.
teri - and my sweeties

Californiateri

Postby Molly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:14 pm

I took a class from someone who worked for Pat and Gina is right. They are Genesis paints mixed to his specifications. I used many of the colors in the class. They are easy to use and I had no shine at all. They do however come n small containers so the flesh colors wouldn't be a bargain. The crease colors and blushes...a different story. They obviously will go farther.

Mollyi
Molly

Postby Ginny W » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

:mrgreen: Thanks ladies! Argh darn it, should of asked first. I ordered some of their flesh paint at almost 10.00 for a bottle. So what exactly is the texture medium they are touting? I also bought that for doing the skin texturing I want to give a try to. Is it the same then as the Genesis thick medium just thinned down more with their thinner? I did order and pay $10.00 for a tiny jar of thinner also. :( Well I will give them a try and use what I bought and then maybe if I like the lip colors I will keep buying them. Anyone notice their site leads you to believe it is not Genesis paints? :dunno:
Newest WIP baby at ...
Loving Touch Nursery...
Visit me on Facebook.
Ginny W

Postby ariliv2_Amy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:51 pm

I use them frequently. They are great for some of the detail work. I usually thin them down with thinning medium though. I love the strawberry creases and lip & nail colors. Those are the only Secrist paints that I use, however. I've tried a few other Secrist premixed paints and didn't like them as well as Genesis mixed with odorless thinner.
ariliv2_Amy

Postby Ginny W » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Well, for me mainly I am looking for better lip colors. I will more than like use up what I bought and hope I can mix them same colors myself in Genesis once I see them in person.
Newest WIP baby at ...
Loving Touch Nursery...
Visit me on Facebook.
Ginny W

Postby preciouslittlebabiesrachel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:33 am

I have some that I use when im feeling lazy and cant be bothered to mix my own colours lol. I don't even use them for skin colouring but they're nice for lips and details :)
preciouslittlebabiesrachel

Postby Ginny W » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:36 am

:mrgreen: Thanks everyone! So I gather most strictly use them for their lip color so that really makes me very happy to read this! I paid a lot for the other stuff I ordered so won't probbaly use them again but sounds like I should have some lip colors I will like finally. :mrgreen:
Newest WIP baby at ...
Loving Touch Nursery...
Visit me on Facebook.
Ginny W

Return to General Dolly Discussions