• Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

RE: LDC Air-Dry Paints For Reborning

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.

RE: LDC Air-Dry Paints For Reborning

Postby maribabies » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi ladies! I’m so happy to find this site. Wanting to avoid as many mistakes as possible, researching all over the Internet and spending a small fortune, think I’m finally ready to start my first reborn using the LDC paints and Debbie’s wonderful tutorial on dolldreams.com. Before I start, want to make sure I have it right, so hope you can help me. Before any painting:
1. To prevent shine etc., first use Ceramcoat All-Purpose Sealer and should I use a brush for that, then pounce, or?
2. Next, when doing all painting, always mix in base matte and paint retarder into paint mixture?
3. Next, start with the green wash? I have doll kits, but also have 2 Berenguer SE dolls I’d like to do, but they’re pretty orange, so do I use a blue wash for them?
4. Use a “light touch” with these paints? I’ve read that they get darker/more intense color after about a week. Is that true?
5. After all painting is done, I know LDC paints don’t require a sealer afterward, but someone suggested it and I bought the Delta Ceramcoat Satin Varnish; would this be good or a mistake? If it’s a good thing to do, what’s the best way to apply it? Without any final sealer, do the LDC paints really last on the doll?
6. About neck rings, if I don’t use one, and the doll is stuffed and attached to the body correctly, will the head be ok with just a little natural “flop” to it or be like it has a broken neck? (I know the Berenguer SE doll needs an actual neck piece adapter, but does anyone know where to find them?)
7. About eye insertion, should they always go in from the back? If inserted through the front, will they have a “bulging eye” look?
I’m so sorry this is so long and just really need the answers; hopefully other beginners can benefit from this info too!
Thank you so much!
maribabies

Advertisement

This advertisement does not display to subscribed users

Re: RE: LDC Air-Dry Paints For Reborning

Postby cookielover » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:08 pm

welcome to DF...... have fun ... Introduce yourself on a thread and others will say hello too Ruth :heart:

William has some colorful new wheels!
cookielover

Postby maribabies » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, Ruth! Have never joined a forum before, but looking forward to it. It's so nice to find a place where where bringing these beautiful "babies" to life and how-to do it the right way is the topic. Just a newbie here, but been preparing for it for about 2 years now, lol, so guess I need to get up the courage to actually DO one and break the ice :) Hi to everyone!
Mari
maribabies

Postby Debbie@TNGUN » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Mari, I will try to get to your questions as soon as I can. Grandchild here this week and I'm spent!
Debbie
They Never Grow Up Nursery
Where babies are babies...Forever!

http://www.theynevergrowupnursery.com

BLOG: http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot.com

MOHAIR and LDC Color Guides: http://TheyNeverGrowUpNursery.artfire.com
Debbie@TNGUN

Postby maribabies » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Thank you, Debbie, enjoy!
maribabies

Postby maribabies » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:08 pm

I have a question about this site. When I first posted my long question list above, I put it in "LDC paint users..S.O.S.! WINNER DRAWN!", then decided to start a new one here, planning on deleting the other post, but I can't find how to do that. Can someone please tell me? Thank you,
Mari
maribabies

Postby georgeanne » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:24 pm

You might find it easier if you posted this in the "creative play" section. This is going to get lost in General Discussions. If someone has responded to a post after you've left a comment, you won't be able to delete it.
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
Anne Frank
georgeanne

Postby Nellerina » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 pm

My experience with LDC is really limited so I'm not one to yet give advice to others, except NO, NO, NO on the Delta Ceramcoat Satin Varnish!!!!!!! Ruined my doll that I was otherwise happy with and had put many, many hours into. She turned out pretty shiny with the satin varnish (at least to my eyes). I suppose it is possible that I put it on too thick or something, I don't know, but it did not work for me. BOL, and have fun.
Nellerina
http://www.facebook.com/RebornsbyNellerina

Daisy has found her forever mommy!
Nellerina

Postby maribabies » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks Georgeanne, so should I go ahead and post it in "Creative Play?" The one I posted in "LDC paint users..S.O.S.! WINNER DRAWN!" doesn't have a response yet, but I still don't see how to delete it. Was concerned about the double-posting thing, or triple- sorry, guess I messed up by not posting in the right place to begin with....so, any suggestions? So sorry
Mari
maribabies

Postby maribabies » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks Nellerina, I had a feeling that was the case with the satin varnish, so won't use it....so sorry about your experience with it after all your hard work. With LDC, is it best not to add any final sealer at all?
Mari
maribabies

Postby Debbie@TNGUN » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 am

maribabies wrote:Hi ladies! I’m so happy to find this site. Wanting to avoid as many mistakes as possible, researching all over the Internet and spending a small fortune, think I’m finally ready to start my first reborn using the LDC paints and Debbie’s wonderful tutorial on dolldreams.com. Before I start, want to make sure I have it right, so hope you can help me. Before any painting:
1. To prevent shine etc., first use Ceramcoat All-Purpose Sealer and should I use a brush for that, then pounce, or?
2. Next, when doing all painting, always mix in base matte and paint retarder into paint mixture?
3. Next, start with the green wash? I have doll kits, but also have 2 Berenguer SE dolls I’d like to do, but they’re pretty orange, so do I use a blue wash for them?
4. Use a “light touch” with these paints? I’ve read that they get darker/more intense color after about a week. Is that true?
5. After all painting is done, I know LDC paints don’t require a sealer afterward, but someone suggested it and I bought the Delta Ceramcoat Satin Varnish; would this be good or a mistake? If it’s a good thing to do, what’s the best way to apply it? Without any final sealer, do the LDC paints really last on the doll?
6. About neck rings, if I don’t use one, and the doll is stuffed and attached to the body correctly, will the head be ok with just a little natural “flop” to it or be like it has a broken neck? (I know the Berenguer SE doll needs an actual neck piece adapter, but does anyone know where to find them?)
7. About eye insertion, should they always go in from the back? If inserted through the front, will they have a “bulging eye” look?
I’m so sorry this is so long and just really need the answers; hopefully other beginners can benefit from this info too!
Thank you so much!

Okay Mari, I'll see what I can do here.

1. The BEST way to prevent shine when using any air dry paints is to first coat the vinyl with Genesis Matte Varnish (GMV). I have a tutorial on my blog on the best way to apply the GMV. If you do not desire to use an oven I have been trying out another medium in the LDC paints (omitting the LDC retarder and Base Matte) that has been quite successful leaving only a "dewy" moisture in some areas. Everyone who has seen the dolls painted this way loves them. You just simply replace the LDC retarder with Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel (LUMG) and add water just like before. You can get the LUMG from Dick Blicks.

2. If you are using LDC paints on bare vinyl, yes, you should use the base matte along with the retarder. Retarder or medium MUST be used with LDC paints or the paints will not cure properly and they could fade. The retarder is the key in allowing the paints to cure and keeping them steadfast. The Base Matte is not required but better results are obtained.

3. The green wash suggestion in the free tutorial on Doll Dreams was written at a time when the color of the vinyl was different than it is today. Today on most kits, I begin with a dark flesh and an open poured sponge but if you do find that you need to neutralize, then yes, choose a neutralizing color from your color wheel and begin there.

4. I think the words "light touch" were a poor choice to use for describing how to apply the paints. The paints will not become richer. They should stay the same as long as the retarder/medium mixture is correct and you will know it is correct by the east of the application of the paints.
Let me see if I can explain "light touch" better here. Applying paints in a multidimensional layering method as I do really takes a very light touch. It is not that the paints are rich or will become darker later, it is simply that if you PRESS the sponge onto the vinyl, the paint will all smoosh together and ruin the "texture" that you are trying to achieve. The multidimensional texture will be lost to a solid color. Holding the sponge paralle to the vinyl, touch the sponge to the vinyl as if you were touching a bubble but not popping it~very softly! In other words, act as if you are applying the paint to the bubble soft enough so that you do not pop the bubble. Make sure that the finger you support the sponge with does not jab the bubble. The paint will retain the nice texture from the sponge and your multidimensional tone will begin to develop.

5. The Delta sealer is okay but not the best~mostly due to how hard it is to apply to get it to be somewhat matte. A sealer is not needed with LDC paints. The paints WILL last when retarder or medium is used.

6. I don't use neck rings even if they come with the kit. Just don't see the need for them. As for the SE Berenguers, I seem to have lost track where to get the neck adapters for those. They are getting harder to find. They are mostly made of plumbing supplies though!

7. No eyes do not have to always go in from the back and no, they are not buggy unless the eyes you chose are too large. I don't ever put mine in from the front~it only took one tear of a beautifully painted and rooted doll to keep me from ever doing it again!

Hope this helps! (The link to my blog is in my siggy)

***Edited to correct a word choice and add more information***
Debbie

Debbie@TNGUN

Postby maribabies » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:30 am

Debbie, thank you SO much for all your help!
1. I didn't plan on putting any vinyl in the oven, as I don't trust the fumes and don't really have the right place for another oven, so am pretty set on doing strictly air-dry. So, should I use the Ceramcoat All-Purpose Sealer first to help prevent shine? If so, brush and/or pounce it on?
(I do see why the GMV method to prevent shine would work well though.)
2. Thought I was buying all the right necessities and just bought the retarder and base matte, so I will keep the Liquitex in mind. So, I understand the reasons for the retarder and base matte- should this work well with the Ceramcoat Sealer applied first?
3. Ok, so the new kits I have probably don't need the green wash, but those two Berenguer SE dolls maybe do- or maybe I'll sell them and stick with the kits for now, since they are so much more "reborner-friendly"
4. Got it on the "light touch" description...thanks for such a thorough, excellent explanation!
5. Ok, no final sealer needed with LDC if done correctly.
6. If put together right and the head will turn easily without a neck ring, don't need it then. Yes, I thought the plugs for head and limbs would be in plumbing supplies, but have searched the Internet and hardware stores with a picture and they are nowhere to be found...was trying to save a little on shipping etc. Are they ONLY sold as limb/head plugs for reborning?? If not, any idea where to find them and what they're called? Someone said they use a round piece of felt or round flat wooden piece glued on, but it needs to be secure with glass beads etc., so would it be?
7. Think I'll stick with the back eye insertion, thanks.
Sorry I've had so many questions, think I have plenty of info and supplies to start my first reborn now. Debbie, you've helped me more than you know, thanks so much!! And so great that the same person who did the tutorial I'll be following has shared her professional knowledge with me and I'm sure many other appreciative newbies. :)
maribabies

Postby Debbie@TNGUN » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 am

maribabies wrote:Debbie, thank you SO much for all your help!
1. I didn't plan on putting any vinyl in the oven, as I don't trust the fumes and don't really have the right place for another oven, so am pretty set on doing strictly air-dry. So, should I use the Ceramcoat All-Purpose Sealer first to help prevent shine? If so, brush and/or pounce it on?
(I do see why the GMV method to prevent shine would work well though.)
2. Thought I was buying all the right necessities and just bought the retarder and base matte, so I will keep the Liquitex in mind. So, I understand the reasons for the retarder and base matte- should this work well with the Ceramcoat Sealer applied first?
3. Ok, so the new kits I have probably don't need the green wash, but those two Berenguer SE dolls maybe do- or maybe I'll sell them and stick with the kits for now, since they are so much more "reborner-friendly"
4. Got it on the "light touch" description...thanks for such a thorough, excellent explanation!
5. Ok, no final sealer needed with LDC if done correctly.
6. If put together right and the head will turn easily without a neck ring, don't need it then. Yes, I thought the plugs for head and limbs would be in plumbing supplies, but have searched the Internet and hardware stores with a picture and they are nowhere to be found...was trying to save a little on shipping etc. Are they ONLY sold as limb/head plugs for reborning?? If not, any idea where to find them and what they're called? Someone said they use a round piece of felt or round flat wooden piece glued on, but it needs to be secure with glass beads etc., so would it be?
7. Think I'll stick with the back eye insertion, thanks.
Sorry I've had so many questions, think I have plenty of info and supplies to start my first reborn now. Debbie, you've helped me more than you know, thanks so much!! And so great that the same person who did the tutorial I'll be following has shared her professional knowledge with me and I'm sure many other appreciative newbies. :)

1. No Mari, you don't need to use the Ceramacoat. You can if you want to but the application is very time consuming and if you don't do it right, you will still have shine. If you do use it, yes, still use the retarder and base matte in the paints. The use of the Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel IN the paints is a much better option though.

6. Right, tighten the zip tie around the neck in small amounts, moving the head after each time you tighten it, checking it for turn-ability. Tighten it enough so that the head won't fall off yet the head can be turned without pulling on the body. No, the neck pieces are not sold for reborning in plumbing supplies. People have made them out of plumbing supplies and then sold them as reborn neck pieces on the internet. The plumbing stores won't have a clue what you are looking for~LOL
I really have no idea what that someone is talking about with the piece of felt etc ???
Ladies, can anyone help locate neck pieces? (You can always use the neck piece that came out of the doll. Just cut the vinyl from around the chest and back. Heat the head to insert the old neck piece and tuck the rest of it inside the body when you assemble it. But I do agree~stick with the kits for now until you have more experience.

Good luck and have fun!
Debbie

Debbie@TNGUN

Postby maribabies » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:06 am

Thanks Debbie for more info I needed. Ok, I'll get the Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel and forget the Ceramacoat and do it the way you suggested. I realize we all learn our favorite ways of doing some things, but I appreciate your valuable tips, no doubt saving me from making some major mistakes.
6. I know I can use the neck piece from the doll and probably will do that if I decide to do those two after all- nice SE faces (Sniffer and Sweetie Pie) and the nice Berenguer bodies. I was mainly asking about the plugs. Thanks again and again! :)
maribabies

Postby maribabies » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi everyone, does anyone know where to buy the plugs for limbs and head without paying more for shipping than the price for the plugs? And are the plugs necessary or can something else be used? Thank you, Mari
maribabies

Postby jessica jasmine » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:23 pm

The plugs and neck rings are not necessary. Some people use cardboard from the cereal boxes to seal limbs, others use doe suede, others use other fabrics, etc. I suppose almost anything can be used. I only bought a bunch of rings and plugs because other people said they use them and I thought it was probably standard, but now I wish I'd saved the money on them. I've noticed the artists I most admire say they don't use them (for various reasons). I will use them just because I have them, but once I run out I'll turn to using fabric.

Great tutorial on using LDC. So, Debbie, you said the Ultra Matte Gel can be used instead of the retarder... that's awesome; I was trying to mix my LDC with Flow Medium, Retarder, and Matte Gel.
jessica jasmine

Postby maribabies » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Jessica, thanks so much for answering that one for me. I even looked in the hardware stores for those plugs with no luck, but thought they were something I had to use. I can secure those ends with something else I have, so thank you for saving me some $$$. Happy Easter everyone! :)
maribabies

Postby Debbie@TNGUN » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:12 pm

jessica jasmine wrote:The plugs and neck rings are not necessary. Some people use cardboard from the cereal boxes to seal limbs, others use doe suede, others use other fabrics, etc. I suppose almost anything can be used. I only bought a bunch of rings and plugs because other people said they use them and I thought it was probably standard, but now I wish I'd saved the money on them. I've noticed the artists I most admire say they don't use them (for various reasons). I will use them just because I have them, but once I run out I'll turn to using fabric.

Great tutorial on using LDC. So, Debbie, you said the Ultra Matte Gel can be used instead of the retarder... that's awesome; I was trying to mix my LDC with Flow Medium, Retarder, and Matte Gel.

Yes, just use the UMG as the medium with the LDC paints and water.
Debbie

Debbie@TNGUN

Postby anjsmiles Angie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Nellerina wrote:My experience with LDC is really limited so I'm not one to yet give advice to others, except NO, NO, NO on the Delta Ceramcoat Satin Varnish!!!!!!! Ruined my doll that I was otherwise happy with and had put many, many hours into. She turned out pretty shiny with the satin varnish (at least to my eyes). I suppose it is possible that I put it on too thick or something, I don't know, but it did not work for me. BOL, and have fun.

I do want to point out that the Delta Ceramcoat All Purpose Sealer Image
is not the same thing as their Satin Varnish. Image
The sealer is used to prep surfaces before painting to make paint adhere better. However, it is NOT totally matte and does leave a sheen behind though not as bad as the varnish does. I have used the Delta Ceramcoat All Purpose sealer as a top coat on things like sealing nails or long ago on Jo Sonjas painted dolls that needed to be sealed. If sealing a whole doll with it you have to pounce it a lot with a sponge to reduce the sheen. Even then you won't have a totally matte doll which is why I prefer sealing Jo Sonjas with Genesis Matte Varnish but as Debbie said, LDC paints do not have to be sealed with a final sealer. Hope that makes sense.
anjsmiles Angie

Postby maribabies » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:42 am

Thank you Angie, I have both of those and have bought SO much stuff! On my first reborn, I'm getting ready to try the base matte, LDC retarder and Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel (LUMG) together per Debbie's suggestion above (hope I got it right)...just got the base matte and the LUMG should be here any day from Dick Blicks, so I'm anxious to start. Am a little confused at this point, but know I'll "get it" eventually. Thank you, ladies :)
maribabies

Return to General Dolly Discussions