Silicone Paint Peeling - what are your expectations? Poll.

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.

For those of you who own silicone artist dolls (not including manufactured dolls):

I have at least one with paint issues (peeling, rubbing off, etc.).
40%
None of mine have ever had paint problems.
17%
I have at least one silicone with a rip or tear in it.
25%
None of my silicones have ever torn.
18%

Total votes: 183

Marita Winters

Silicone Paint Peeling - what are your expectations? Poll.

Post by Marita Winters »

I am considering making a silicone edition. I have never painted silicone, so have many questions about it. One thing that bothers me about silicone dolls is that I often hear about paint problems. I would really like to know to what extent this is a problem.

I would also like a conversation about your expectations when you purchase one of these dolls for $1000 and up. I am wondering if, when you purchase one, you do it with the expectation that you will need to do regular (maybe yearly?) maintenance for painting repairs?

I edited my poll to add the question about rips and tears.
Last edited by Marita Winters on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
nanaglenna

Re: Silicone Paint Peeling - what are your expectations? Pol

Post by nanaglenna »

The only ones I have had problems with were my Suzanne Roberson babies, and it was always on their feet.
Dolly Hugs, Glenna

jacque123

Post by jacque123 »

I'm no help. I don't have a silicone.
Jasmin

Post by Jasmin »

nanaglenna wrote:The only ones I have had problems with were my Suzanne Roberson babies, and it was always on their feet.
Same here, Suzanne Roberson babies had peeling issues on hands, legs and feet and I have owned 2 Toby's and both had these issues.
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello
Shawndamom3

Post by Shawndamom3 »

Most of my silicone dolls that I've owned over the years have had paint peeling issues. I don't like having to shell out money to have to maintain and fix up dolls so I rarely purchase them anymore. I have been told that some artists using the new painting methods on silicones are much better with very little chance of any peeling. Claire Taylor would be a great artist to ask about it.
BonnieKephartrootsheads

Post by BonnieKephartrootsheads »

yep the paint does peel and rub off, but the reason it does, i love my silicones, i dress them, i love them, i handle them, they go with me , they are truly loved, someday I will learn to re-paint them, but keep on loving them even if they are not perfect at the moment, I expect nothing less of them, or the artist I bought them from and the time it takes to save up to purchase my babies
dmatthews

Post by dmatthews »

I had two silicone babies and the very first one started paint peeling on the hand within 5 days of having her and not even changing her yet. The second one I changed one time and she ended up with a small split joining the leg to the foot on the front. After paying a lot of money for these two silicone babies I am not sure I want to purchase another one with these kinds of issues. I thought for the price you wouldn't have to worry about anything as long as you are gentle with them but that is not the case. So kind of scared to get another one. :(
amandasbabies

Post by amandasbabies »

Mine has some peeling on one hand, but it's my own fault from bathing, powder, holding and playing with her. Oh well, if it bothers me enough one day, I'll ask the artist to touch her up!
jenniferwatier

Post by jenniferwatier »

Marita, I would love to see you do a silicone kit or edition!!
I have 2 silicone babie I painted, and I have had them for a few years. With no sign of peeling, and I have cleaned the one regularly, and been extra ruff with it as a test doll. Infact I have even attempted to strip it down (sanding), and the paint will not barely budge. I had such a time sanding it off I just gave up after a while.
All my silicones are only dragon skin only, and I only use "physco" brand paints made for dragon skin, I dont personally use any paints that are not actually intended for silicone or products. These Physco products are proven in the movie and special FX industry where the silicone must stand up to a lot of abuse/use. In order for me to sand off the physco paints I actually ruined one kit, thats how well it has stuck on..it has became part of the silicone itself...each layer must bond.
Claire Taylor recommended this product to me, and as long as you apply carefully, follow measurment directions, one should really not have an issue. Its when paints are applied too heavily or the wrong silicones or mediums are used that the paints risk peeling. I would recommend talking with the guy who created the paints, and silicones he is full of knowlwdge and can def. answer your questions better.
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

In my opinion, to put over 1,000 dollars (probably closer to 2,000 into a silicone and then have to maintain it so the paint doesn't come off is not somethng I feel I want to do. If that is the case, then I won't buy silicones. As it is, many have commented on the tearing and cracking in the creases of the dolls. For the amount of money paid, I think they should stay fairly new unless you let your children drag them across the floor, or let your dog or cat sit all over them, which I'm sure you ladies don't do.....what I'm saying is that unless they are abused in some way, they should stay beautiful.
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

Marita,
I think we are learning alot about silicone dolls in the last little while. As a silicone artist I do have a few opinions to share. I hope its ok.
I don't know who started the bathing and tousling around of silicone dolls, but in my opinion I don't think this should be done with silicone. I paint with many layers on silicone and it doesn't peel and is meant to stay permanent but we don't have the experience yet to know if its going to withstand continual baths, rubs, redressing, ect..... its STILL a collectors DOLL, not a real baby. We can't just rip an arm through a sleeve and expect it to not tear at the seams or scrub it with baby soap and not expect the paint to dry and peel somewhere.
Are these thing happening, not because of the artist, but because of the owner????
Now I am NOT passing off the issues or responsibility to the owner... because I think its not good when paint peels. My paint does not. But I think collectors are starting to treat these silicones like babies (taking them out each day and letting people rub them, ect) and they are not babies.... and when there are tears at the neck and leg or the paint starts to peel after a year from the spot they keep picking or peeling, some right away look at the artist.
THese are HIGH PRICED COLLECTOR dolls... and should be cuddled and kept in a place where we treat them like delicate porcelain dolls.
This is all just my opinion....
Back to paint.... my paint DOES NOT peel. I think if it does (apart from what I mentioned above) it could be paint/sealer/oil/silicone reasons. I have an entire process I go through that ensures my paints stick and are permanent. And I do a SCRUB test on each piece before declaring it finished.
But I think that IF a piece of paint starts to peel... DUE TO THE ARTIST... NOT THE OWNER... then the artist should be willing to fix it. It happens. And I think more collectors should be aware of that when purchasing a silicone... peeling MAY happen. It's what the artist does about it that needs to be clarified.

Edited to add ~ IF something happens to the doll (peeling, ripping, tearing) and the buyer DID NOTHING to cause this (some of you talk about getting them and DAYS after the peeling starts) then I will say this SHOULD NOT happen. My above comment is about wear caused by major playing with the doll (bathes, powders, rubbing, ect). And every case is different.
Dion

Post by Dion »

I would hope that I wouldn't have to do painting updates yearly :shock: :shock: That would be awful! Some artists' dolls peel a lot and some don't seem to peel at all. I'm not sure what makes the difference. :dunno: Hugs, Dion

Edited to add: After reading Kris's post, I just wanted to add that I NEVER bathe silicone babies or treat them roughly EVER. I treat them even more carefully than a real newborn and they are rarely handled at all. This being said, I have received a couple of dolls from their artists with peeling paint or even without any handling, the paint began to peel. Same with the silicone. I haven't ever had an Adrie Stoete or Eva Helland doll that has cracked silicone even when it was quite old. Yet, some artists' silicone dolls seem to crack just from the weight of the limbs themselves on the joints. I don't know what some artists do that makes the difference, but I always know that I can count on Adrie's and Eva's dolls to stand the test of time. JMHO! Hugs, Dion
Last edited by Dion on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on this topic. I appreciate the thoughtful comments and information. I just added a second question to my poll because of the info brought about about tearing.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I have 2 silicones, both that I got second hand. Actually I think I am the 3rd owner of my Angel Harris sculpt. She was not painted by Angela from what I was told. She came to me with the nail tips off of all her fingers, most toes and a small spot on her mouth seems to have either rubbed off or not have been painted well to begin with. You can see faint lines where there was tips on her toes but not on her fingers. It would be nice to have them there but it doesn't bother me that they aren't and I don't plan to send her out to have them redone. She is not heavily blushed/colored but I don't know if that has faded or is the way she was originally painted. Since I have had her, nothing seems to have peeled or rubbed off. I am very gentle with her when I change her and don't bathe her parts. I love her to pieces and she will always be mine! My Logan Harris was painted by Angela and his paint job looks very nice. He has a nicer look to his coloring that is hard to explain the difference but I guess you could say it looks to be more a part of his skin than on top of it if that makes sense. Nothing peeling or fading that I can tell. I hope he stays that way. I really love his coloring and his fabulous rooting done by Erin. He is my favorite baby! I treat him the same as the Angel sculpt. Both get cuddled occasionally and then put back it the crib.

Honestly, if I bought a new silicone as the first owner at full price I would expect the paint not to peel or rub off. Rubbing off is not nearly as bad IMO as peeling. Photos I have seen of peeling dolls look icky. I would definitely want someone like Chris painting my doll who says that their paint wont peel off.
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

I have had several silicones by a multitude of artists, and every single one had paint peeling problems except my Claire Taylor dolls!! I have paid a LOT of money for every one of them and have been disappointed many times over due to paint/peeling issues. :( Whatever Claire does, more artist should be doing that because her dolls are amazing!!!! :wink:

Edited to add that I rarely handle my dolls, and I never bathe them!! :shock: I am super duper careful when handling them, and that is rare since I am not one who "plays" with my dolls! :D
Last edited by Kelliegirl on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

Anything from me Kellie? Please do let me know if so!!
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

KrisC wrote:Anything from me Kellie? Please do let me know if so!!
Hi Kris! No, definitely not from you!! Unfortunately I have not gotten the chance to own one of your babies that you painted yet! Hopefully someday I will though!!! :heart: :D

I just didn't think I should list all the various artists names that I have had dolls from that I have had problems with, but for sure I have never had issues with Claire's babies. :wink:
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

I have lots of silicone's from the most expensive, down to the cheaper ones and most do have paint issues at some time or another. My dolls aren't handled at all and just dressed and put back on the shelf. Silicone paints aren't easy to work with and I think the artist are still learning new techniques all the time. I'm more concerned about the shelf life of the new silicone's as I have seen some older ones that have fallen apart. The way I look at it if the doll lasts 5 years and still looks new it was worth the money, nothing is forever. Silicone's are just what they are if you like them then you put up with the paint and peeling that might occur, if you don't like it don't get a silicone. Silicone's will never be a nice as a OOAK because you just can't get the same detail. I love all of my silicone's and realize price doesn't mean a doll is made any better then a cheaper one. I buy what I want and am happy with whatever I get.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi:
Angelicabeb

Post by Angelicabeb »

Rhonda, you are a women of positive words! :foryou:
You have a wonderful outlook on life and a lot of common sense!
I love to read your posts! :foryou:
Thank you,
Angelica

Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

Oh boy!
I have dolls from a LOT of artists. I don't seem to have any peeling issues with most of them. I see that for some of them, their lips fade after a time as does their blushing. I have one brand new baby arrive and it had peeling issues straight out of the box.

As for tearing, I have come to the conclusion that all silicone dolls need to be lying down most of the time, not sitting up and straining their neck flanges. I think sometimes they start to tear their necks because their heads are so incredibly heavy. Neck flanges seem to be vulnerable. Neck flanges and the groove for the zip tie, need to be deep.

I have had one poor dolly who got a torn limb from some rough handling by a guest who just didn't know what she was doing - lifted the doll by the arm when I was not there to tell her how. She was easily repaired by the sculpting artist (for a reasonable price) and is as good as new now.

None of this would make me NOT buy a silicone doll. I just love the feel of them - from rather firm to soft and squishy - I love them all!