SO MUCH HAIR PAINTING, SO LITTLE ROOTING

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Brooke

SO MUCH HAIR PAINTING, SO LITTLE ROOTING

Post by Brooke »

I KNOW that painting hair is an art and so few reborners can do it well. But recently I'm noticing that it seems that there is more hair painting than rooting. At least on Ebay. Also, lots and lots of baldies. Is rooting going out of style??

I've been looking and looking for a reborn that I can afford; unfortunately onlt $300 max. There are quite a few that are very cute on Ebay, but almost every time I start looking at one the hair is painted, or if they have a hat on I immediately know they are baldies. Generally, the more expensive reborns are rooted, but not the ones in my price range.

I want some soft baby hair. I know that in my price range I can't ask for the moon, but just a bit of rooted hair on a peaceful 19-21" newborn?? I've been looking for well over a week.

Is there some other place I can look other here under "Reborns for Sale" or on Ebay?

Thankzzz
christina0930

Re: SO MUCH HAIR PAINTING, SO LITTLE ROOTING

Post by christina0930 »

if you keep looking on here under reborns for sale im sure you will find a reborn with rooted hair in your price range. A second hand baby will probably be your best bet. :D I have adopted lots of second hand reborns on here and they are always lovely! Good luck with your search!
Dottie in Virginia

Post by Dottie in Virginia »

If rooting goes out of style, my collecting will come to a screechng halt. I will NOT buy a baby with painted hair no matter how well done.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

I have a baby for sale that has a gorgeous head of rooted hair. And she is in your price range. Here is her link:
http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f ... y#p2724682
Hugs,
Nadia

lisa_moments_in_infinity

Post by lisa_moments_in_infinity »

I have soft baby hair on my babies :)
It's better to fail in originality, than succeed in imitation~Herman Melville
http://moments-in-infinity.webs.com
BlessedBundlesByJanelle

Post by BlessedBundlesByJanelle »

I don't know why, but I am SEVERELY allergic to mohair!
I do use a very fine Mohair to root my lashes, so they look real and fine....but that alone is enough to kill me! lol
I have tried to root many times, but end up with a nasty reaction :(
I will have to be content to make my babies with painted hair, and strive to improve my technique with each baby!
I have found that the painted hair babies look much more "newborn" looking,
where as the babies with more hair look a bit older-
But that is just my take on it!

There are also some very sweet babies, with rooted hair, in your price range on Etsy.com...
you can try there in the meantime!
jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie »

I could paint one for you for $200 if you sent the kit and then you could send the head to someone else to root and you could assemble it yourself :D You might be able to keep it around $300. I am not sure what the going rate for rooting is but I think some people do it for around $100.
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

I love painted hair, the standard is going up and up by the week I notice on eBay :heart: but you should be able to find some sparse rooted hair, I have sold a lot of BB sculpts with sparse hair under £200
alienor

Post by alienor »

I'm totally with you, even if painted is nice, it's really not for me, too much like old dolls :?

by the way, I have a lot of rooted nice reborn to sell arond 150$, because I will move :D
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Thank you everyone. I've found my baby. I expect her soon.
Mikki

Post by Mikki »

NadiaK,

I pm'd you about your baby.
Realborn Jaxon

Mikki W
cindydu

Post by cindydu »

I too am not into painted hair and only use mohair on mine, and I am even fussy right down to the color. I generally only use dark brown from Slumberland. I LOVE rooting as I find it very relaxing, and for me personally it makes the baby.
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

Dottie in Virginia wrote:If rooting goes out of style, my collecting will come to a screechng halt. I will NOT buy a baby with painted hair no matter how well done.

Yep! I see some many dolls I love, but I need hair to play with! There are some wonderful painted hair babies, some I'd love to buy, but not with painted hair. Just my prefrence. :lol: :lol: :lol:
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

I agree with you and will always prefer rooted hair. As someone who rooted for years, for lots of you too, I have a hard time excepting all the painted hair these days. I know many love it but it's just not for me either. I will admit though, there are some reborners who have gotten very good at it. I say "to each her/his own" and it's nice that we can still have either one. Congrats on finding your baby.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
Jean the baby lady

Post by Jean the baby lady »

I have one with very lightly painted hair and rooted on top. It makes the rooting look "done" sooner. But no more babies for me. I am on my last ones and will keep them a while. This is hard. Maybe I will find a BB kit. Are there any cute ones with a reasonable price?
AnneXmedici

Post by AnneXmedici »

I too like rooted hair. The only baldie I have is Saoirse and a little antique bisque baby, and only reason Soirse is bald is because she is in my rooting quew :lol:
Strangely, the ultra micro rooting is what draw me into collecting babies. I found it amazing, and I still am. the way it sticks up, and the way it makes the babies look alive. No matter how well, or how realistic it is painted I still love the rooted babies best :heart:
ariliv2_Amy

Post by ariliv2_Amy »

I wanted super light sparse looking hair for the baby in my siggy since he is a preemie so I thought I would experiment with painting his hair. I finished painting his hair and was very happy with it until I started changing his clothes getting him ready for photos. I guess I must be a very tactile person as I realized that part of what I enjoy about changing their clothes, posing them, and holding them is their velvety soft baby hair. So, I ended up rooting very sparsely over it and I really liked the effect. I think I may end up doing both for many of my future babies. My rooting still has lots of room for improvement, I would love to be able to master that super short newborn look but every time I try to go in at that kind of angle, I can't get the hair to show through the inside of the head. I'm then afraid it won't seal properly. If any of you rooters have any techniques for this, I'd love to know them.
ImageImage

http://www.amysdollhouse.com/
Amy
Amy's Dollhouse
Cathe

Post by Cathe »

To each their own taste, but I usually pass on the painted hair, (along with the scented wafers). I have seen some that are really good though. I think they just remind me too much of the dolls we had back in the day. I can still smell that rubber! :lol: I have seen some amazing rooting up close and personal. It looked and felt so real. Kimberly Dawn, who rooted Spike Villanova comes to mind. He did turn out to be "real" too. :lol: There are many, many others, but it would take pages to name them all. I am always in awe of what the artists and reborn artists do now. I remember when what we called a reborn was a Berenguer with some rouge and a wig plopped on it's head. :lol: "You've come a long way baby." :toast: