Weirdest items found inside Reborn?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
noniesgirl - Gina

Re: Weirdest items found inside Reborn?

Post by noniesgirl - Gina »

Dirt... not clean sand but dirt from the ground, the ends of the limbs hadn't been sealed so there was dirt all over the inside of the body also. I had to throw the body and poly-fil away. It was gross... The lady I was redoing her for was told there wasn't any sand in the doll.. well I guess there wasn't sand... there was DIRT. :lol:
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

I have found rocks and sand in a few...I wanted to restuff my babsi years ago and she had a sealed bag of rocks in her! So even the doll manufacturers do this!!
I got a reborn that was so heavy and uneven and when I took him apart someone had restuffed him with aquarium rocks and one of the limb's plugs had come loose and they filled the rest of the arm up with rocks as well. I asked the original reborner about it and this doll had 2 or 3 others moms before me so somewhere along the line someone wanted a heavier baby!
It isn't always the reborners that stuff them like that, sometimes a prior owner will restuff them with who knows what!
Terri_in_AL

Post by Terri_in_AL »

Warning.....LATEX is soooo wrong to put in the babies.
#1 Ever kept a balloon as a souvenier in a scrapbook then look at it a few years later? They disintegrate over time and some become gummy
#2 People like me that are so very allergic to latex that I have to wear a medical alert bracelet and carry an Epi pen everywhere I go,

Latex allergies are on the rise and getting close to peanut allergies. One would hate to be responsible for someone going into anaphalactic shock or even die.
TinyGifts_Helena

Post by TinyGifts_Helena »

Now that I think about it, when I was redoing my Ashton drake doll, there was a bag of rocks inside. :/
Shauna

Post by Shauna »

I just got a boy and he's full of sand, and tied with string. He's a heavy little guy!!!! All of his limbs are hard as rocks, but his head is empty. ?!? :p
Crystal-caelinsmomma

Post by Crystal-caelinsmomma »

I can't imagine using any of those things, wow! I even sew cotton bags for my glass beads so I know they won't leak through a sock or nylon, I'm so paranoid. Anything plastic or latex is going to break down, not to mention allergies! Yikes!

I do remember when Emily came out from Ashton Drake, her weight in the ones I got at least, was plastic bags of sand/rocks, and they glued recycled cardboard to the limbs to seal them, they had printing one one side, like they had been cut out of another box.
marcy

Post by marcy »

Well, some of that stuff just doesn't make any sense! Needles? It's not like they take up a lot of space for stuffing and they could stab through almost ANYTHING......crazy!!! I agree about most of the other stuff, but I've never understood what the big deal is about using aquarium rock. Seems to me that they could create some great weighting opportunities and they're not nasty or anything. Just don't get it. Guess I'll never consider using 'em, but just because of the reaction they seem to cause. Someone said something about cardboard glued across the limbs to hold the stuffing in. If you don't have the plastic BB plugs, wha;t do you use instead. I have wondered, since it seems like the glass "beads", which seems even smaller than sand could eventually leak out of whatever and work it's way through the polyfill. Anyway, some things are obviously gross and inconceivable to use, but others??? Guess I don't see what's wrong with 'em. :dunno:
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

marcy wrote:Well, some of that stuff just doesn't make any sense! Needles? It's not like they take up a lot of space for stuffing and they could stab through almost ANYTHING......crazy!!! I agree about most of the other stuff, but I've never understood what the big deal is about using aquarium rock. Seems to me that they could create some great weighting opportunities and they're not nasty or anything. Just don't get it. Guess I'll never consider using 'em, but just because of the reaction they seem to cause. Someone said something about cardboard glued across the limbs to hold the stuffing in. If you don't have the plastic BB plugs, wha;t do you use instead. I have wondered, since it seems like the glass "beads", which seems even smaller than sand could eventually leak out of whatever and work it's way through the polyfill. Anyway, some things are obviously gross and inconceivable to use, but others??? Guess I don't see what's wrong with 'em. :dunno:
Totally agree, I use steel balls but I wouldn't see anything wrong with those decorative stones people have in their homes, & as for cardboard to seal the limbs, yep I remember that tip posted on a reborn forum once, I use this stuff now for sealing them, thanks to Cassie Peek for this tip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261107603001? ... 1497.l2649
Aliceintheozarks

Post by Aliceintheozarks »

I heard that you really need something like felt across the limbs... it's suppose to breath, especially if baby is flying anywhere. I know I saw a toddler that the limbs (legs) had flattened. They said it was because of the balance of pressure in the cargo area. I really don't know so I use the felt.... as I use to use cardboard... :?:
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Weird stuff in a doll? OK....I've found used dirty gym socks filled with dirt and sand. Some strange yellow substance in the limbs that reminded me of tiny wood chips the consistancy of sand or like when bed foam ages until it crumbles. Yellow and grainy like that. Filthy fiber-fill with hair in it and an empty plastic bag and a ripped dirty peach colored cotton doll body with jointed limbs?? WTH? Now THAT was strange. A body in a body. hmmmm..... I've seen just about everything but the kitchen sink in fixer-upper dolls. I still think the weirdest thing I have seen is those rabbit pellets or cat litter whatever that was in the other thread. :dunno:
ColorbyCarina

Post by ColorbyCarina »

Wow Kim that is bad! I still think the dirty underwear someone mentioned is the worst though lol
britanie28532

Post by britanie28532 »

:lol: :shock: :|
This thread is hilarious, shocking and gross all in one HAHA!

I have a question about the latex gloves though -- I thought this was common and done a lot by reborn artists.. Is there something I'm missing?
bonnieblue2

Post by bonnieblue2 »

I don't know if you would call it weird, but just highly inappropriate with a nasty side effect. Several years ago, I took apart the first reborn that I ever purchased on eBay and it was filled with rice and beans....and a few bugs. Fortunately it was a Secrist Zoe and I didn't pay very much for it. Sadly, I bagged her up bugs and all and threw her away! Yuck!
SharonL

Post by SharonL »

That's funny, Heather! :lol:

I wish people wouldn't put rice, beans, or anything that's food in the dolls. They will eventually hatch bugs. I've had to take apart a couple beautiful reborns that each had a bug on the neck. They had come out of the dolls! Both were sitting on the back of the necks of the dolls, like they had crawled out where the doll's head was attached. There were a couple more inside. Fortunately, those were the only ones....I check the others regularly now. I'm not taking all the dolls apart to look inside. :banghead:
SharonL
We now live in Virginia, about 20 miles south of Richmond.
Any dolly lovers, bear lovers, around?
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

britanie28532 wrote::lol: :shock: :|

I have a question about the latex gloves though -- I thought this was common and done a lot by reborn artists.. Is there something I'm missing?
NON latex (vinyl) gloves are fine. I use them.

http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot. ... orial.html
britanie28532

Post by britanie28532 »

Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:
britanie28532 wrote::lol: :shock: :|

NON latex (vinyl) gloves are fine. I use them.

http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot. ... orial.html
Thank you for clearing that up for me :D
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

Well last night I took apart Ariella for a remake. There was a plastic trash bag in the head filled with the green sand. What is it with this green sand. the limbs were also filled with that. So it was a boring one lol. I probably have enough of this green tinged sand to fill a sandbox is that the new thing now??
karinabrandt

Post by karinabrandt »

the worst thing ever was rotten rye grains... it was so disgusting...
Visit my new website with unique handknit and sewn clothes for dolls, babies and toddlers
New location on http://www.beautiful-baby.dk
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra wrote:Well last night I took apart Ariella for a remake. There was a plastic trash bag in the head filled with the green sand. What is it with this green sand. the limbs were also filled with that. So it was a boring one lol. I probably have enough of this green tinged sand to fill a sandbox is that the new thing now??
Sounds like glass grains to me, or blasting grit as hardware stores call it , over here a lot of us use the medium grade industrial glass grains. And they are a light green. Some even like using the fine grade, which does look like sand. I prefer the mdium grade personally though. A lot of the supplies sellers have cottoned on to how cheap it is, 25kg for £15 incl delivery ($23) so they are divvying that 25kg up into smaller amounts & selling at a profit. But it's not sand, it's actually blasting grit. Same thing as glass grains.
Annette

Post by Annette »

I got a reborn from Europe, years ago, that, when it arrived, had a weird smell to it. So I took it apart and found it stuffed with dirty socks. Not sure what was in them, as I threw them away without looking inside. They were gross!! :(. :shock: Smelled disgusting! And in the head, there was an old cloth body too.
Hugs Annette