The potential dangers of Toxic Vinyl Fumes When Reborning a

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
anjsmiles Angie

The potential dangers of Toxic Vinyl Fumes When Reborning a

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

Those you who are still heat setting inside your house with your oven might want to read this.

http://www.reborndollmart.com/the-poten ... ng-a-doll/
Misty

Re: The potential dangers of Toxic Vinyl Fumes When Rebornin

Post by Misty »

Oh yes. Not good at all. That's why I only use air dry paints and don't heat for ANY reason. I use air dry everything.

Scary!

Edited to add an encouragement.
You CAN create depth and extremely realistic skintones with air dry paints!! I have found no draw backs, I love it! If you'd like to see what I have done with them I'm happy to share. I can even show side by side pictures to compare the air dry with genesis. The air dry looks just as good.

Misty
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

Prettymuch what has been said for th elast 10 years.
I have not noticed any real odor until recently..and the change I had made was using more odorless thinner washes.
I love the effect but that is when the smell came on! and I did let them air dry before I heated them.
In reviewing several teaching methods it looks like most teach to thin the genesis down to about 5% paint and about 95% odorless thinner...so there is very little pigment left and the need for about 40 layers (baked after each layer)..I am really starting to wonder if this much thinner..and this much baking of the vinyl is what is behind the odor? :dunno:
everyone has to choose what is safe for them. I still use my oven...but I do not paint everyday or even every week so I am not really worried about it...and I do not paint with alot of odorless thinner..I use the genesis thinner which is made to thin genesis paint and I have not noticed an odor from the paint or the vinyl :wink:
Dolly Hugs JaNan
HayleyMassey

Post by HayleyMassey »

Glad I switched to a convection oven, that I keep outside on the porch for baking. My husband never lets me bake indoors. This is the reason why.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I had to quit reborning with genesis as the fumes gave me chronic Asthma...everytime I even smell a whiff of the fumes I am laid up for days.
anjsmiles Angie

Some of the thinners bother me. I switched to the EcoHouse thinner and it does not bother me. I also use Genesis thinner. I find the combination of the 2 thinners in with my paint is my preference and I do not bake tons of layers of thinned down paint. I have been baking out on my back porch with a convection oven for years now too. I tried the air drys for a good while and got good depth but had issues with the paints not sticking to some vinyls, fading over time or being shiny. I just decided Genesis is the way for me to go.
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

I have been reborning for 7 years and I have always used my kitchen oven. I have never experienced any problems nor has my hubby, or anyone else including fur babies in the house. I never notice a smell UNLESS I am doing a manufactured doll. Like JanNan said. this has been going around for quite sometime. Sure just like anything it may effect someone. So we all have to do what is good for us. If I use anything besides Mona Lisa Thinner and Genesis thinner I am sick as a dog. Nausea, migraine etc So we are all going to be sensitive to one thing or another. I know people who are allergic to mohair, break out in hives etc. but they can use alpaca??
anjsmiles Angie

I have been doing this for 10 years now myself and i know this isn't new news to those of us who have been around. However, it is worth thinking about and newcomers should make informed decisions. Each person has to decide what is their own preference on the matter. I will say that just because you do not smell anything doesn't mean it isn't harmful. Also, repercussions are not always in the immediate but rather can be years down the road. Precaution certainly never hurt anyone.
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

all true Angie..thanks...didn't mean to soud as though newcomers shoul dnot be informed.
The way I see it..ou soft drinks and over the counter pain relievers probably do more damage to your liver than baking an occasional doll in your oven..JMO
Dolly Hugs JaNan
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

I only use my oven at my weekend house. I don't cook food in. Maybe occasionally. But I also only reborn about 1 or 2 days a week and I don't bake after every layer. I have never had any thing bother me with anything I have used. I think if reborned every day I would figure something else out. Like an oven outside. Info have the new air dry paints an I am trying to use them but LOVE GHSP so much more. I am just used to it after 5.5 years.
Last edited by Suzanne on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

Thank you for posting this, Angie. I agree there are potentially great risks here. I myself am right now experiencing some respiratory problems and trying to figure out what's going on. I use a convection oven in my garage and paint with Genesis and Mona Lisa thinner. There are a lot of different things that could be affecting me though beyond just reborning, but I can't believe it's not a contributor. I may have to take a break :( . I think your point about the damage presenting itself many years later is a poignant one. Just for example, cancer often comes as a total surprise. One day everything is normal, the next day not. Disease often shows itself when it's fairly progressed, sometimes sooner of course, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I appreciate the post.
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

I bought an electric stove here when it was on sale and use that now for heat setting my paints. Did you know they determined that the vapors from heating kilns with porcelain paints and parts in them also is toxic? So nothing you heat set is really very safe. I have noticed some of my newest kits really stink before and while I am heat setting them in the oven. Even my hubby has started to complain when I heat set Bountiful Baby vinyl parts and also the German made Julietta parts and other German made vinyl. He told me it was stinking up the house. I couldn't smell it because I had become so used to the odor. I get sore throats when I heat set up my parts. Cold like symptoms also.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
Visit all her photo album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/ginny.westley/ ... 317&type=3
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

I tried reborning and from day one I would get really sick...no odors anywhere and I didn't even HEAT SET them but just the fumes from the paints and thinners made me nauseous! I lasted only 2 weeks and sold everything. No way I can work outside and I don't have a well ventilated area I can work in :( I don't know how people do this in their houses and especially those with small kids! Just because you can't smell it and you don't feel sick doesn't mean it isn't affecting you or others in your house!
I need to reiterate that there was NO SMELL...so just because it is odorless and you don't feel ill affects does not mean it is safe. None of my business what people do but just beware.
Aliceintheozarks

Post by Aliceintheozarks »

I have had asthma for years and don't find the fumes from the vinyl bothers me but I have been using my halogen oven for a couple years now. My other half says just because they say odorless doesn't mean they don't have fumes but he has always worked around vinyl and paint fumes so he doesn't smell anything. I use the genesis paints as I tried the air dry and just couldn't get the hang of it. Probably because I had a problem with getting the right mixture. Maybe some day I'll try them again but I like what I'm use to. Great for newbies though.
dessadolls

Post by dessadolls »

About 6 months ago I had blood work done and I was diagnosed with high liver enzymes...The Dr. didn't know what could have caused it...but I knew...
it was from heating the vinyl...even in the garage...
So I took a long hiatus from making any Reborns.
The other day I had blood drawn and my liver enzymes have improved....I went in for an MRI of my pancreas and liver and it showed all was normal.
I only use air dry paints now...it's just not worth my health...
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

It does worry me a bit gotta admit, a lady here in the UK is in hospital at the moment with Liver problems, the doctor has told her it's due to heating the vinyl. Not sure how he knows that for sure but she has been in hospital since the end of last week with vomitting & having tests for it.
I want to try the new air dries, but am scared!
violet

Post by violet »

There are also dangers in clay, which has been brought up in the past. I do believe cernit has changed it's formula. I would love to switch to it but love the prosculpt and living doll workability ..... Reading all this makes me want to give cernit another try.....

Found this when searching for information.

http://ooakdollart.com/archive2/viewtopic.php?p=35506
Ginas_reborns

Post by Ginas_reborns »

I use GHSP and have been reborning for years with no problems. Just had a physical 2 weeks ago and my blood work came back fine. I do have an attached garage here that my hubby has a wood working area in and that is where I bake my parts so odor has never been a problem for us. Because I am working with paint thinner I use a medical mask when I paint and art gloves as well. No issues for me. I think whatever route you take just know your materials and take the necessary precautions. x
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:It does worry me a bit gotta admit, a lady here in the UK is in hospital at the moment with Liver problems, the doctor has told her it's due to heating the vinyl. Not sure how he knows that for sure but she has been in hospital since the end of last week with vomitting & having tests for it.
Here in the US if there is high liver enzymes they usually suspect the gall bladder..both sons in law had theirs removed because of that...neither has ever reborn a doll! :wink:
If your friend is vomiting..I would be suspicious of the gall bladder too!
I think alot of things can make liver enzymes go high...even diet! one son in law was told not to take certain over the counter pain meds because they increase your liver enzymes indicating damage to the liver. Since the liver filters the blood..any toxins entering the body can damage it ...and this country is so toxic. WE do not eat ,drink healthy and take far too many meds!
Just lost an aunt to a liver disease due to cancer treatment she had had years before... :dunno:
Dolly Hugs JaNan
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

JaNan wrote:
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:It does worry me a bit gotta admit, a lady here in the UK is in hospital at the moment with Liver problems, the doctor has told her it's due to heating the vinyl. Not sure how he knows that for sure but she has been in hospital since the end of last week with vomitting & having tests for it.
Here in the US if there is high liver enzymes they usually suspect the gall bladder..both sons in law had theirs removed because of that...neither has ever reborn a doll! :wink:
If your friend is vomiting..I would be suspicious of the gall bladder too!
I think alot of things can make liver enzymes go high...even diet! one son in law was told not to take certain over the counter pain meds because they increase your liver enzymes indicating damage to the liver. Since the liver filters the blood..any toxins entering the body can damage it ...and this country is so toxic. WE do not eat ,drink healthy and take far too many meds!
Just lost an aunt to a liver disease due to cancer treatment she had had years before... :dunno:
Apparently this lady in the UK also has Gilbert's Syndrome? So maybe that hasn't helped.