The potential dangers of Toxic Vinyl Fumes When Reborning a

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Nellerina

Re: The potential dangers of Toxic Vinyl Fumes When Rebornin

Post by Nellerina »

I have tried both air-dry and Genesis. Honestly, I cannot imagine achieving the same depth and realism with the air-dry paints (LDC) as with the Genesis, learning curve or not. They don't behave at all in the same way. This is not to say that I don't see beautiful dolls painted with air-dry paints. I definitely do, but for me, they were much harder to control and layer and doing detail work is more difficult. Also, you cannot correct your work and take risks in the same way as with Genesis. I mean, if you apply a full layer of air-dry paints and then decide it wasn't what you wanted, it's too late. I remove paint and correct my work all the time as I'm working on a doll. It's essential to me. What drives me the most crazy about air-dry paints that are thinned with water is how they puddle on the vinyl because oil and water don't mix. Now I can't comment on how they appear over time. Also, if someone else loves them, that's totally great. Use what works for you! But personally, I was sad that they did not turn out to be an attractive (and safer) alternative to my beloved Genesis.
Debbie@TNGUN

Post by Debbie@TNGUN »

Some of my air dry work:

I think that Misty's air dry babies are more intense in color than mine are. It is simply our different style of painting but shows that deep tones can be achieved. I love Misty's air dry work!

I also believe that the cracking, fading, peeling are things of the past from acrylics that were just purchased out of the craft isle of the store. The paints that are made for vinyl dolls have a different chemistry and won't do that UNLESS the pigment is watered down too much. I've been using air dry paints since 2008 and have happy mommies all over the world.
Debbie
They Never Grow Up Nursery
Where babies are babies...Forever!

http://www.theynevergrowupnursery.com

BLOG: http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot.com

MOHAIR and LDC Color Guides: http://TheyNeverGrowUpNursery.artfire.com
Froggies4Brandi

Post by Froggies4Brandi »

OMGosh Debbie!! Your babies are just GORGEOUS!! I especially LOVE your Jayden!! He is TDF!! :heart: Thanks for sharing pics of your Air Dry babies. I would LOVE to see more from other ladies who use the Air Dry too since that is what I would be working with. :D
dessadolls

Post by dessadolls »

Here are a few of mine...

I use Air Dry Paints to paint my Reborn Eyes

This is an attempt to produce pale skin...didn't have enough depth

This is a WIP with texture
Misty

Post by Misty »

Here is some of my work

Misty
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

JaNan wrote:I started out with oils..was afraid to use Genesis..they seemed so 'involved'! afraid to learn new tech..but Helen Jalland was the one that convinced me..she said she felt the paint was so permanent you could play football with the painted doll head. :lol: It has taken awhile to get my groove...after a senior artist posted somewhere that we were thinning all the pigment out of the paint..I paid closer attention to how to thin with the Genesis thinner as it was meant to be. Still used a bit of OT as well for a wash here and there...rarely had any odor at all...

Today I was working on two kits in tandem..one from china ..one an expensive kit from germany. I have been playing with the tech of using the genesis thinned to water consistency with OT and mottling before painting fleshtones...what a horrific odor! Definitely fumes!! :shock: since they are different vinyls..and since I am getting the same odor on each..and since I know i am overusing OT..I really think that is what is causing the fumes..not the vinyl... JMO :dunno:
I have had the same experience with many thinners. I found the Ecohouse and Zest It both to be good for me as well as Genesis thinner. I also do not adhere to this notion of tons of watered down layers of paint. I also believe the more you heat set vinyl the more you age it which can reduce its softness and longevity I think. If you use Genesis thinner in your mix you can get a good pigment to each layer you paint without having to apply so many. It adheres well and I can get just as much depth as I want painting this way. I also find it works better for me to use Genesis thinner for AA layers than odorless thinners alone because the tones are not as apt to be blotchy looking.
Froggies4Brandi

OMGosh!! I LOVE the other Air Dry babies I have seen!! They are so AWESOME and very well done!! :D
Misty, I am in LOVE with your Everleigh!! She is just FANTASTIC!! Hopefully I will get to meet her in person someday bc she is going home to my sister Erin!! :heart:
Misty

Post by Misty »

Froggies4Brandi wrote:OMGosh!! I LOVE the other Air Dry babies I have seen!! They are so AWESOME and very well done!! :D
Misty, I am in LOVE with your Everleigh!! She is just FANTASTIC!! Hopefully I will get to meet her in person someday bc she is going home to my sister Erin!! :heart:
Thank you so much Brandi. I really loved Everleigh. There's something about her.... I hope Erin truly enjoys her!

Hugs
Misty
jacque123

Post by jacque123 »

I only use the odorless thinner for my flesh coats and my veins. Then I switch to Genesis thinner for Bountiful Baby's thinning medium. I still end up doing between 10 to 25 layers depending on the look that I want....."newborn" "very newborn" "older"

Bella by Andrea Arcello's kit smells just like Baby Powder. My hubby kept smelling it and saying "I love how this kit smells". I have noticed that some have a stronger odor than others. I have moved my portable oven into the Nursery and it is at the other end of our home. I used to put it out on the back deck, but, with Winter there isn't a roof over our deck, thus the nursery room seems to work out fine with me.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

Well we all each have our own style of painting and that is good for us all. Bottom line is the word of caution in all this is to keep in mind that you don't always see or smell things that are harmful to you. Everyone should take proper precautions with all forms of painting materials and especially with heat setting. This information has been out there a while and every now and then it warrants re-examination I think just to make sure we are all being prudent. I wish everyone good health and happy painting!
dessadolls

Post by dessadolls »

anjsmiles Angie wrote:Well we all each have our own style of painting and that is good for us all. Bottom line is the word of caution in all this is to keep in mind that you don't always see or smell things that are harmful to you. Everyone should take proper precautions with all forms of painting materials and especially with heat setting. This information has been out there a while and every now and then it warrants re-examination I think just to make sure we are all being prudent. I wish everyone good health and happy painting!
I agree!! :heart: :heart:
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

jacque123 wrote:I only use the odorless thinner for my flesh coats and my veins. Then I switch to Genesis thinner for Bountiful Baby's thinning medium. I still end up doing between 10 to 25 layers depending on the look that I want....."newborn" "very newborn" "older"

Bella by Andrea Arcello's kit smells just like Baby Powder. My hubby kept smelling it and saying "I love how this kit smells". I have noticed that some have a stronger odor than others. I have moved my portable oven into the Nursery and it is at the other end of our home. I used to put it out on the back deck, but, with Winter there isn't a roof over our deck, thus the nursery room seems to work out fine with me.

thats so funny about Bella.. I thought it was something had him in.. My mom and neice were holding him and saying he smelled like baby poweder.. I didnt even notice! :lol:
Froggies4Brandi

Misty wrote:
Froggies4Brandi wrote:OMGosh!! I LOVE the other Air Dry babies I have seen!! They are so AWESOME and very well done!! :D
Thank you so much Brandi. I really loved Everleigh. There's something about her.... I hope Erin truly enjoys her!

Hugs
Misty
You are very Welcome!! :D
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Great information..... thanks to everyone for posting. :grouphug: Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa

Post by Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa »

I have warned for years about this after I got sick...headache and asthma...after heating a Marissa May BB kit. I was sick fir days.
I would also get a scratchy coated feeling in my throat when heating. When I would turn my oven on even days after heating parts I woukd still smell it.

I switched to a turkey roaster on the deck outside. I now use a halogen oven.

That being said, that is not scientific article with proven facts. The person writing it is no more knowledgeable than you or I.

I do firmly believe that even if it does not cause cancer, heating vinyl in the oven is unhealthy
Julie56

Post by Julie56 »

I am using the new special care nursery air dry paints at the moment, and I am loving them, not to say I will ever give up genesis completely , I am finding I can get as much depth with the air dry and the no shine is a bonus, I find the chinese vinyl seems to give off more fumes than german vinyl when heating, with a lot of the newer kits giving off more fumes and smell than the older kits, it would be nice to know when purchasing kits especially with pre orders what vinyl we are purchasing
Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

Julie56 wrote:I am using the new special care nursery air dry paints at the moment, and I am loving them, not to say I will ever give up genesis completely , I am finding I can get as much depth with the air dry and the no shine is a bonus, I find the chinese vinyl seems to give off more fumes than german vinyl when heating, with a lot of the newer kits giving off more fumes and smell than the older kits, it would be nice to know when purchasing kits especially with pre orders what vinyl we are purchasing
Interesting observations. Thanks for sharing. I agree with you on how it'd be nice to know about the vinyl. The more I reborn, the more I realize how important the type of vinyl is in terms of one's preferences.
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

AngelaLovesBabies wrote: I can always tell a doll that has been baked to high heavens because the vinyl is literally ROCK HARD.

My concerns about air dry are it's longevity.

Just switch to a convection oven and heat outside. :D
The concern with longevity could be the other way around. How long is going to last a vinyl doll that has been baked to death? I had one from a very famous artist and had to trade it out for a fraction of its value because it looked like she was just about to disintegrate. Leathery, hard vinyl that was already starting to show some hints of cracks in the creases.

I reborn with air dry, artist grade acrylics since 2006 and recently some of my dolls from that year came back on ebay (a collector who had several of my reborns passed and they were selling off her collection). They looked exactly as when they left my hands.
Also, I make reborns for myself as well and handle them quite a bit. They are all in perfect conditions despite the extensive holding and travelling.
Bobbis Bitsy Bundles

Post by Bobbis Bitsy Bundles »

I had my liver checked recently, along with a huge panel of blood work, specifically because I reborn, and all blood work, from all areas was perfect :) Not even a hint of a problem. So hopefully that sets some people's minds at ease.