Is it NORMAL for silicone babies to look REALLY FLAKY???

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Tina

Re: Is it NORMAL for silicone babies to look REALLY FLAKY???

Post by Tina »

My Molly Huti baby is a smooth as silk, I have owned 3 silicones altogether and none were flaky at all.
Tina

Post by Tina »

AngelaLovesBabies wrote:The doll actually reminds me of RAW MEAT. Rotting hamburger. Eeeek!
Have you got a link to the original listing.
Angelicabeb

Post by Angelicabeb »

I have owned 100's of silicones and have never had a flaky one. :wink:
I am so sorry that your friend's expensive baby is like this :roll:
Thank you,
Angelica

Tina

Post by Tina »

AngelaLovesBabies wrote:Hey Tina. Yes, I do. BUT, it's not my doll and it's not my purchase. Furthermore my friend loves the doll despite all this. I do not want to put my friend or the dolls seller in a disrespectful light.

On top of that, I haven't figured out how to post pics.

I've seen silicones on here that we're TDF. This doll DOES NOT look like them.

Which is disturbing because the listing looked fantastic. She won the doll in auction for a bit over $6,000.
I totally understand but do not let this put you off of maybe getting a silicone yourself someday, most are beautifully made and painted. :hi ya:
Tracy MS

Post by Tracy MS »

all silicone is definitely not the same, my everlie is as smooth as silk, totally matte and definitely no flake
karenwhitmore

Post by karenwhitmore »

I have two silicone babies here at my house and both are in kit form and have not yet been painted. Both are beautiful and smooth and even colored. There is nothing weird or off looking about them at all. This makes me wonder if it is the painting on your friends doll or if the silicone was just bad. :dunno: Either way, my two are gorgeous even in kit form. I would not base a silicone purchase on her doll. And yes, if she loves her, leave it be. That's really all that matters.
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

I have had many silicone babies come and go...and I have never had any peeling or flaking.
They have all been super smooth with no lumps or bumps either.
It's your friends baby...and she loves him so that is all that matters.
I feel bad for her if she should one day decide to part with him because she
will never be able to recoup her money. I find people are very fussy about what they buy
as they should be.
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

My beautiful Cale Edenholm does not have a flake anywhere on her whatsoever. I have a silicone from Ashton Drake Galleries as well and that doll has not one flake anywhere on her either. So no, it is not normal for silicone babies to be flaky.
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I have had lots of silicone babies and none of them ever had flakes , they are all very soft and just love them........Hugs, Kathy
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Sorry, but for $6000 the doll should be perfect. One thing is to buy a boo boo silicone baby with full disclosure and for a good discount, and another is spending such an outrageous amount of money for a defective doll. I'm afraid whoever is the seller that your friend has been had. :(
kd

Post by kd »

AngelaLovesBabies wrote:The doll actually reminds me of RAW MEAT. Rotting hamburger. Eeeek!

I would not pay $6000, for a silicone doll, that looks like raw meat.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

''beauty is in the eye of the beholder''
Doll-Lee

Post by Doll-Lee »

I currently have three full size silicones and not one is flaky. Added to that I've had loads of silicones in the past and not one of them was flaky either. So please don't let this put you off buying a silicone. I love mine and would always want at least one in my collection.

Love,
Lee
Jasmin

Post by Jasmin »

If she is peeling and flaky looking she should contact the original Artist that made the doll and see if that is what she was supposed to look like or if she has been damaged in anyway with powdering ( some of the silicones out there can not handle baby powder and will have a reaction that makes things peel ) or maybe she was bathed and ruined that way. You never know what previous owners do with the dolls.

I would most certainly not be happy with a $ 6000.00 doll that is flaky looking and peeling.
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

As long as your friend loves the doll that's all that matters.
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

As someone who has been learning how to paint silicone I have learned what not to do more than what to do so far! LOL! The flaky look can happen when the last layer of silicone is applied and then the matting agent. That last layer of silicone has to be applied in a very thin layer and matted quickly. If the silicone is applied too thick or the matting is pounced upon too much the end result is a baby that can look flaky in spots or has some spots that are not smooth. I have gotten these spots and the only way to fix them is to sand them off and redo them. Also, if you dust the baby with corn starch or baby powder that will highlight any uneven spots in the silicone and can make it look more flaky as well. Peeling silicone is another matter all together and has to do with improper technique usually related to the silicone being thinned too much with thinners or not cured properly.

Having said that, I have seen lots of high priced silicone dolls on the market that had less than perfect paint jobs or matting jobs and the buyers still loved them so it is a subjective thing I guess.
Meg

Post by Meg »

It's hard to even tell what you are meaning by "flaky" with no pictures....I have had some beautiful silicones and some really not so good ones.
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

Right now I own 27 silicones and not one looks like that. Sounds like someone maybe tried to paint over one? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Kims Reflections

Post by Kims Reflections »

I think I know the listing and having pics wouldnt help because they all seem blurry to me
That's a lot of money for sure! Someday...I'll have a silicone )hopefully not flaky) to call my own. I keep showing my kids and hubby which ones I want. I always get the same reaction..."don't you already make those" NO, it's silicone, it's different. And then I go about my performing arts on how wiggly and soft they are....then I get the :? look