~*Have you ever been ridiculed for collecting dolls?*~

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
kd

Re: ~*Have you ever been ridiculed for collecting dolls?*~

Post by kd »

The only person who ever ridiculed my dolls was my Ex. And, he would toss them across the room when he got angry.
Ignore your Ex.
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

NOt really.............Most people just know I collect dolls but don't have any idea of the price I pay...........But my sons and husband know and they are OK with it.............My friends love my dolls but I don't tell much about what they are worth..............But I am sure some people think we are weird..............All I know is they make me happy..........Hugs, Kathy
MonikaS

Post by MonikaS »

Yes, actually I am deeply saddened because my family is talking so much garbage about me and the dolls. I have been told that I put my dolls in front of them. Truth be told the family is rarely with me, so when I asked them if they had any objection to me turning my spare guest room in to a hobby room, and office they all said "go for it an enjoy your room." Now years later it is being held against me. I can totally feel your pain, and also am so tired of being judged. I said I know I have too many dolls and I was told "well you are working on that" as though I had a severe problem. Not one of them pays for anything I do. I also work hard and try to be a giving, kind person but all those things are getting harder each day. I truly send you a true hug and am so sorry you have to go through that.
MonikaS
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

kd wrote:The only person who ever ridiculed my dolls was my Ex. And, he would toss them across the room when he got angry.
Ignore your Ex.

:shock: Glad to see you kept the dolls & ditched the meanie pants!
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I'm sorry that happened to you Kellie. Sounds like he was just "kicking below the belt". Unfortunately, those who are (or have been) close to us know how to push our buttons. Sending hugs! :hug: :hug: :hug:
Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

You let him get to you - do you still harbor something you hate to admit to yourself about him?

Tell him to take a hike. You and we know you are not crazy. Your kids don't think you're crazy,
do they? Their opinions are the only ones that count nowadays unless ..... ;)

Yes, I've been ridiculed for loving my dolls by none other than my MOTHER! To quote her: "It's not
that the babies are realistic looking that bothers people, you know, it's seeing someone YOUR AGE
dragging a doll around with them."

Sweet, eh?

Being cheeky like I am, I told her that she and those who found it odd had just forgotten how to have fun.

:heart: Do not let him or any of his opinions get to you or he wins, Kellie. :heart:
kd

Post by kd »

Tracy Lorraine wrote:
kd wrote:The only person who ever ridiculed my dolls was my Ex. And, he would toss them across the room when he got angry.
Ignore your Ex.

:shock: Glad to see you kept the dolls & ditched the meanie pants!
:lol: Yes, the last time he threw a doll was in 1997. :lol:
Dion

Post by Dion »

:D He IS an ass! He doesn't seem to have too much to recommend him and was probably just trying to hurt you. His opinion doesn't matter at all.

I am fairly quiet about my doll collecting. My husband and sons don't mind at all and support me in my collecting. The ones who know at work look a little askance when the subject comes up, so I don't say much there at all. I am sure that they think that I am "weird", but that's okay. I wouldn't want to change anything for them!

You have a lot of Doll Friends and a lot of support here. It's the safe zone for a lot of us I think!

Hugs, Dion
Marissa May Resin Triplets
SweetBirdieReborns

Post by SweetBirdieReborns »

Hi Kellie,

It so frustrates me when I see things like this. When I saw your video and read this today, I completely understood where you're coming from. Some people just don't understand why at 21 years old I keep baby dolls in a room with a pram, boppy, and designer baby clothes. I've never been called downright "crazy," but I wouldn't put it past some family members to say so behind my back. I have had people critisize the baby clothes I purchase. They can't seem to wrap their minds about me wanting to buy things for my dolls instead of myself; what they don't understand is that it IS for myself! It's my hobby for goodness sake! (And I do buy plenty of clothes and goodies for myself).

Just to speak a bit about your specific situation, I don't know you personally, but even from afar I can see that you're a great mom. I've seen or heard you share about sending your daughter off to prom, getting a family puppy, or taking a walk with your dolly AND daughter. It's so easy to judge when you're not looking into the mirror, and I think that may be the problem with your ex-husband. My guess is that he has jealousy brewing from seeing you succeed in all parts of life, but especially as a parent.

Your nursery is gorgous, and your babies are always swoon-worthy! I love all of the clothes and goodies you buy for the babies (I think we have similar taste :) ) and totally adore your videos. Basically, you can so easily tell how much you enjoy this hobby and it's nice for everyone to see. Like you say, keep your head up!

It might seem corny or silly, but quotes always help me out, so here we go:
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." -Charles Bukowski
"I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I only need to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world. I run my world." -Beyonce
"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." -Aristotle
Yes, I just put Bukowski, Beyonce, and Aristotle together. lol

Sending a virtual hug your way! :grouphug: :foryou:

xo, Sarah
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

:grouphug: Hold your head high Kellie :grouphug:

I bet we've all had adverse comments, I know I have...but once in a while I know it can really get to you, and that was mean (and stupid) to bring up parenting

Like you I always say "I don't smoke/drink/do drugs and I am not out out killing nuns"
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello
Beckie

Post by Beckie »

I've been called crazy, childish and heard the creepy comment. Also been asked "why" more times than I care to remember. None of that bothers me too much, I figure people either like and accept me for who I am or they don't, their problem, not mine. The ones that REALLY get to me is when someone says that my dolls look like dead babies or that I must collect them to "replace" the babies and grandsons that I lost. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! The last time someone made the dead baby comment, I went off and asked her if she had ever held a dead baby in her arms, or seen a baby that had passed away other than in a horror movie. She said no, but this just had to be what they looked and felt like....I not so calmly let her know that our dolls are not even close in appearance to a deceased infant, and told her that until she had the "pleasure" of holding the lifeless body of a beloved infant in HER arms, not to even say stupid things like that because I have had that experience and it is not something to be spoken of lightly. The woman still does not speak to me when I see her at church...gee, I wonder why!!
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

My take on that is it must be a very unhappy person inside to say such a thing. I don't know if I have ever been called crazy, perhaps out of my hearing range I have. But I do know if I saw someone pushing a doll in a stroller or a pram I would smile and think how lovely the person is unfettered by what others may think. It certainly is not a bad thing, why judge so harshly?? I think dolls are beautiful and anyone who collects and enjoys them is a great person. There!
Anna12301

Post by Anna12301 »

The girls are too old for him to be able to take away anyway so let him spend his energy and his money fighting a lost cause.
Lots of people think I'm odd for doing the doll thing - and I wouldn't be brave enough to take them out in a stroller - but you go girl if you are because that only means your not scared to be yourself. :dance: I'm a chicken.
There was/is a business called My Tangible Peace and I've always thought that was the perfect explanation for this hobby. I have a sign that says that in my doll room. Tell him your circus, your monkeys. Go away..
:toast:
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Wow!! I just came on this morning to do my normal browsing and to see how many of you took the time to post a supportive comment about this just made my day!!! :heart: :foryou: :hug:

Thank you all for being such a wonderful group of friends! This just confirms why I LOVE this hobby so much……..you all "get" me, and I really appreciate that you all are my friends!!! :mrgreen: :hug: :heart: :foryou: :grouphug:
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Birgits yodle toddler

Post by Birgits yodle toddler »

Beckie wrote:I've been called crazy, childish and heard the creepy comment. Also been asked "why" more times than I care to remember. None of that bothers me too much, I figure people either like and accept me for who I am or they don't, their problem, not mine. The ones that REALLY get to me is when someone says that my dolls look like dead babies or that I must collect them to "replace" the babies and grandsons that I lost. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! The last time someone made the dead baby comment, I went off and asked her if she had ever held a dead baby in her arms, or seen a baby that had passed away other than in a horror movie. She said no, but this just had to be what they looked and felt like....I not so calmly let her know that our dolls are not even close in appearance to a deceased infant, and told her that until she had the "pleasure" of holding the lifeless body of a beloved infant in HER arms, not to even say stupid things like that because I have had that experience and it is not something to be spoken of lightly. The woman still does not speak to me when I see her at church...gee, I wonder why!!
:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:
People can sometimes be so stupid! I am sorry that you had to hear it! Hugs to you and congrats how you answered! I will do the same when it is said to me the next time! Hugs Birgit

Happy to be doing good and let the sparrows whistle!
Birgits yodle toddler

Post by Birgits yodle toddler »

Sally - USA wrote:You let him get to you - do you still harbor something you hate to admit to yourself about him?

Tell him to take a hike. You and we know you are not crazy. Your kids don't think you're crazy,
do they? Their opinions are the only ones that count nowadays unless ..... ;)

Yes, I've been ridiculed for loving my dolls by none other than my MOTHER! To quote her: "It's not
that the babies are realistic looking that bothers people, you know, it's seeing someone YOUR AGE
dragging a doll around with them."

Sweet, eh?

Being cheeky like I am, I told her that she and those who found it odd had just forgotten how to have fun.

:heart: Do not let him or any of his opinions get to you or he wins, Kellie. :heart:
Well said Sally! And Kellie only one thing: you made your decision already BECAUSE he is your Ex alrady :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well done! Enjoy your dollies!
Hugs Birgit

Happy to be doing good and let the sparrows whistle!
lauren_211

Post by lauren_211 »

Kellie,
I saw your video on youtube and I have great respect for you standing up to those criticizers. I don't really understand what it feels like to get ridiculed, but from hearing different reborn mommies and daddies talk about it, it must be depressing to find out that someone criticizes you because of our hobby of collecting innocent dolls. I have been into reborns for almost 2 years now, and I have never met anyone that's able to stand up to them like you do. there are always going to be those people out there who just want to pick on us innocent reborn mommies and daddies... but this is what I always say about it... They're just jealous :lol: Just remember to keep a smile on your face :D Keep your sunny side up..up..up don't let your face get long :hug:
jacque123

Post by jacque123 »

The Club where I go to workout (haven't been in awhile) has an indoor track upstairs. Before I got my knee replacement I used to take my stroller with one of my babies in it as it was like using a walker, but, so much more fun!
dollval

Post by dollval »

Every day of my life...... seriously
krystleslittlemonkeys

Post by krystleslittlemonkeys »

While I think your ex's comments were more about HIM than your actual hobby, I do find it sad that so many people frown upon our hobby. But I like to think of this favourite quote of mine. "People make fun of what they don't understand." This quote helps me. If a person isn't into this hobby than they will never understand it because they don't experience it. So because they don't understand it, they say negative things or make fun of it. Not that it makes it ok for them to do that but it helps me see it from their view a bit. But here is what gets me. I'm fine if it's not their thing. They are not into it. They don't need to understand it but at least have the decency to keep the comments to yourself. Or at least support me in my hobby. My husband isn't into the dolls. He could care less about them. But he always says "If it make you happy then enjoy it." I'm sure he doesn't "get it" but he loves me enough to know that if I enjoy it and I'm happy then it's fine. Like so many have said, it harms no one.
Krystle's Little Monkeys
http://www.krystleslittlemonkeys.com