Air Dry Painting

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
ForeverRebornYoung

Air Dry Painting

Post by ForeverRebornYoung »

So I was all ready to reborn my first baby using air dry paints. Do you have to have Matte Lack in order to get the paint to stick? I'm so disappointed because I've put layer upon layer and it doesn't look like a thing has changed so I'm guessing I just answered my own question. Any advice would be great. Thanks :banghead:
laura

Re: Air Dry Painting

Post by laura »

I dont think so,but I do use a matte medium first.Now, I did notice with air dry it took me several layers to get a good show. My siggy baby is done in airdry.
laura

Post by laura »

It also is good to use the matte medium in the color mixture to help the paint stick.Im not sure which ones you have,but I use hunnybuns air borne paints.
ForeverRebornYoung

So I may be ok if I do about 100 more layers? :D
laura

Post by laura »

LOL. Im not sure.I had the same problem.I did try not so much water.But I almost gave up too at the begining.lol.
Beth

Post by Beth »

The matte Med. stops the vinyl from absorbing the paint. If you use to much water it breaks down the color pigment.
And over time the color can just disappear. So you might want to try a little less water.
Hugs,
Beth
ForeverRebornYoung

ok can you guys tell me where is the best place to buy air dry paints and what I will need? Here is what I managed to produce from what little I had lol. Don't judge. I know he looks bad.

The paint was dried up so I had to use water to try to soften it, hence all the black dots.

pudditat

Post by pudditat »

I use LDC and Special Care Nursery. Sometimes I add Liquitex matte gel to the flesh tone. Sometimes just water and paint retarder. I have never used heat-set, so I can't tell if it takes less layers to complete a doll. But the latest doll I painted, it took me only 3 days to paint. Then I let it cure for at least two weeks, then I add PLBD dewy medium. If it turns out very shiny, I top it up with Genesis heat-set matte.

Here's the baby I'm painting right now.
KeishaJay

Post by KeishaJay »

Yep, definitely try some thicker paint. I've had some issues with air-dry sticking to BB kits before. You could also try adding a thin layer of heat-set matte to help the paint stick, especially on the hands and feet. The neutralizing layers at least take more with air-dry. You'll get a feel for them before too long. Don't worry.
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

I use artist grade acrylic paints, with no paint retarder or matte gel. Just paint and water. It takes a bit of practice to find the right dilution of the paint, but since once the paint is on it's impossible to remove, I'd say water on! ;) Use a test part to figure out how much water suits you. If you need several layers before the base skintones show at all, you are definitely adding too much water. Also, don't try to scrape the paint off after it's dry, you will need acetone or brush cleaner to clean up your piece and start all over again.