Glass beads

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Lauren

Glass beads

Post by Lauren »

I'm wondering, does any store like Hobby Lobby or Michael's sell the glass beads to fill the doll or do I have to buy them online?
Ginny W

Re: Glass beads

Post by Ginny W »

I have not seen any glass beads at hobby stores yet. Only the plastic ones. The glass beads are used for bead blasting so that is why they don't carry them. Only blasting places have them and hard to even get from there sometimes.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
Visit all her photo album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/ginny.westley/ ... 317&type=3
lisa/preciousnewborns

Post by lisa/preciousnewborns »

You need to go to a store called harbor freight to get glass beads... they sell by 25lbs and 50lb.
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

lisa/preciousnewborns wrote:You need to go to a store called harbor freight to get glass beads... they sell by 25lbs and 50lb.
Thanks! I've seen one of those by my house. Are they expensive?
lisa/preciousnewborns

Post by lisa/preciousnewborns »

I pay about $45 for 50lb
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

lisa/preciousnewborns wrote:I pay about $45 for 50lb
That's a good price! Thanks for the info
DollyBabeChris

Post by DollyBabeChris »

What grit should be bought? I have an option for 40/70 or 80. Will pantyhose hold the sand without it leaking?
Chris

georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Be sure to get the right size beads when you go to Harbor Freight there are different sizes and if you buy the really tiny ones they are so tiny they are like very fine sand in texture and actually are not good for you if you breathe them in. The Harbor Freights around here rarely have the bigger size so I buy mine from BB.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
jubileejulie

Post by jubileejulie »

I use the small ones like they sell at Harbor Freight in the limbs and seal the limbs closed but they are too small to put in nylons or tights in the body IMO, even doubled they keep coming through. I buy the 1.5-2mm glass beads from CR's crafts to put in the stockings in the head and body.
Wyattsmommy_Cassandra

Post by Wyattsmommy_Cassandra »

Yep, I only use my harbor freight glass beads in the limbs and then I use these poly pellets to give weight to the head and body... My Harbor Freight only carries the ultra fine(almost the consistency of sand) beads as well...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101270656?ss ... 1423.l2649
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Thanks everyone! I went it and looked at them and it was like sand! I may get it though to fill the limbs like you all said and get the others from BB for the body.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I would use the medium/fine glass beads. If you ask at Harbor Freight they do have different sizes but you have to ask. I won't use even the fine glass beads for the limbs if you do a little research on sandblasting you will see they recommend a mask when sandblasting so to be on the safe side I get the larger size glass beads which I like much better than the super fine anyway.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland