My Story - Health Risks of Reborning

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Finea-Lulinas

Re: My Story - Health Risks of Reborning

Post by Finea-Lulinas »

Nellerina wrote:It would vary. Sometimes everyday (in the evenings) but definitely several hours a week. That's an interesting thought about the Genesis thinner. I think I'd still need to use thinner though for brush cleaning. And not sure how I'd do a wash. Thanks for the idea.
For brush cleaning you only need concentrated dish soap. First wipe off the paint with some kitchen roll paper. Then clean your brushes (one at a time) in dish soap, and rinse in lukewarm water. Do it a couple of times.

I also paint oil portraits, and I have always cleaned my brushes with concentrated dish soap.

I'm sorry about your health issues. Hope you can use the Genesis Thinning Medium for thinning the paint. Cleaning brushes is no problem at all with dish soap :)
Meg

Post by Meg »

I started reborning in 2004 when we used oil paints also...then switched to Genesis when they came out. I didn't start having problems until about 2010 and it was the vinyl fumes that set me off. I used to bake in my laundry in a convection oven with the outside door open and the inner door shut but the vinyl STILL set me off. I also always was aware that just because odorless thinners can't be smelled, it doesn't mean that the fumes are not there! Just that we can't smell them. I have loved using genesis for a long time, but stopped using them about a year ago and have been too afraid to try the airdry...lol what a wuss!
Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

Finea-Lulinas wrote:
Nellerina wrote:It would vary. Sometimes everyday (in the evenings) but definitely several hours a week. That's an interesting thought about the Genesis thinner. I think I'd still need to use thinner though for brush cleaning. And not sure how I'd do a wash. Thanks for the idea.
For brush cleaning you only need concentrated dish soap. First wipe off the paint with some kitchen roll paper. Then clean your brushes (one at a time) in dish soap, and rinse in lukewarm water. Do it a couple of times.

I also paint oil portraits, and I have always cleaned my brushes with concentrated dish soap.

I'm sorry about your health issues. Hope you can use the Genesis Thinning Medium for thinning the paint. Cleaning brushes is no problem at all with dish soap :)
Thank you for the tip! :P
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

and who knows what all is being dumped in our skies...lots of non dissipating vapor trails these days...natural waterways are being found contaminated..how? (from the air?) :dunno: I think out carrying and using cell phones wil be the next no no...have you noticed the increase in malignant brain tumors..even in teenagers? WE are all gonna die of SOMETHING..just do the best you can...be prepared to meet your Maker and enjoy what He give you along the way! :foryou:
Dolly Hugs JaNan
pudditat

Post by pudditat »

Sandis Doll House wrote:
pudditat wrote:I'm so sorry to hear this Nelle. :( This is why I only use air-dry. Hope you get better soon. :hug:

WOW Susan, I would never have guessed you used air dry paints. Your babies are awesome and have so much depth to them. You need to do a tutorial on how you use them. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Aw thanks Sandi. :hug:
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

I would not have guessed either! :shock: wow! you DO need to offer a tutorial! :foryou:
Dolly Hugs JaNan
jeannesteenies

Post by jeannesteenies »

It's been a while since I worked in stem cell research. But what I can tell you, is that cancer is caused by a mutated gene. Carcinogens can cause the cancer to grow but does not cause the cancer itself.
And for cleaning brushes, I use dawn liquid dishsoap and it works great.
I have reborn in the past using the genesis thinning medium. The only reason I switched to Mona Lisa is the affordability. But it does work fine. I do get nauseated when I paint. :(
Nellie, we should get together and break open my LDC paints! I have yet to try them.
pudditat

Post by pudditat »

JaNan wrote:I would not have guessed either! :shock: wow! you DO need to offer a tutorial! :foryou:
I started with Luminaire and I loved it. But I noticed that the dolls in my collection that I painted with Luminaire started to shine. So I switched to LDC. Then I discovered Special Care Nursery. Now I use a combo of the tints that I like from the three. I still use Luminaire's burnt umber as final wash. LDC's red for my Asian babies. Special Care's mottling. I do mix my own colors too. However, I don't follow a specific pattern this is why I don't think I'd be confident enough to do a tutorial. I paint the same way I sew...no patterns. :D When I'm done painting, I let it cure for at least two weeks. Then I apply PLBD dewy skin medium for 3D effect. Sometimes I apply Genesis matte, but not all over..only on shiny areas usually the hands and feet. This requires baking but I do it outside. And it's just one time baking for 16 min.

I don't think I could ever use heat-set paint. I get terrible migraines usually triggered by scents and heat.

Nelle I learned a lot from Debbie Henshaw's tutorial on her website. She's very accommodating too if you have any questions on air dry painting. Hope you feel better soon. And please don't quit painting! I love your babies!! :foryou:
Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

pudditat wrote:
JaNan wrote:I would not have guessed either! :shock: wow! you DO need to offer a tutorial! :foryou:
I started with Luminaire and I loved it. But I noticed that the dolls in my collection that I painted with Luminaire started to shine. So I switched to LDC. Then I discovered Special Care Nursery. Now I use a combo of the tints that I like from the three. I still use Luminaire's burnt umber as final wash. LDC's red for my Asian babies. Special Care's mottling. I do mix my own colors too. However, I don't follow a specific pattern this is why I don't think I'd be confident enough to do a tutorial. I paint the same way I sew...no patterns. :D When I'm done painting, I let it cure for at least two weeks. Then I apply PLBD dewy skin medium for 3D effect. Sometimes I apply Genesis matte, but not all over..only on shiny areas usually the hands and feet. This requires baking but I do it outside. And it's just one time baking for 16 min.

I don't think I could ever use heat-set paint. I get terrible migraines usually triggered by scents and heat.

Nelle I learned a lot from Debbie Henshaw's tutorial on her website. She's very accommodating too if you have any questions on air dry painting. Hope you feel better soon. And please don't quit painting! I love your babies!! :foryou:
:hug: :foryou:
WithloveSteph

Post by WithloveSteph »

I have to totally agree with this! I am sorry you are having problems with your health. I experienced this once with Mona Lisa paint thinner. It was very scary that I would even wake in the middle of the night gasping because my throat would close up after I had painted. It was very scary. As soon as I stopped using the thinner it stopped. I do believe the fumes are very harmful and have to agree that just because you don't feel bad at the moment doesn't mean its not doing damage. I painted when I was pregnant with my first because my doctor told me I should be okay. I trusted what she said. My 3 year old has Autism. Now many things could have caused his Autism, but now that I am pregnant with my second baby, I felt that it would be best to quit reborning for the time being, just in case. I don't want to feel that I have done anything in case the same happens to my second child. I want peace of mind. OP, thanks for sharing your experience and I hope you feel better! :toast:
With Love,
Stephanie
Debbie@TNGUN

Post by Debbie@TNGUN »

Nellerina wrote::) Yeah, it's an idea. I wonder what a doll would look like painted all with gel thinner. Maybe someone has tried this before.

I NEVER use odorless thinner with my Genesis (when I'm not using air dry which is 97% of the time since 2008). I have only used the Genesis Thinning gel. I love it.
Debbie
They Never Grow Up Nursery
Where babies are babies...Forever!

http://www.theynevergrowupnursery.com

BLOG: http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot.com

MOHAIR and LDC Color Guides: http://TheyNeverGrowUpNursery.artfire.com
Debbie@TNGUN

Post by Debbie@TNGUN »

pudditat wrote:

Susan, you just answered a question someone asked me this week: If PLBD Dewey Skin could be used over air dry paints, specifically Special Care Nursery paints. I had not tried it so I didn't know. Thanks for the information! :toast:
Debbie

Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

Debbie@TNGUN wrote:
Nellerina wrote::) Yeah, it's an idea. I wonder what a doll would look like painted all with gel thinner. Maybe someone has tried this before.

I NEVER use odorless thinner with my Genesis (when I'm not using air dry which is 97% of the time since 2008). I have only used the Genesis Thinning gel. I love it.
Wow. Thanks again for all the great information from everyone. I am buying some more air-dry paints to use with my LDC. Feeling excited about making a change and maybe tackling my Tate kit afterall.

:grouphug:
siliconen wil

Post by siliconen wil »

i am sorry for that i find it wreally difiicult to give up reborning
me is Always told that thinner etc. from GHSP was non toxic
i have reborned to with GHPS only for a while i am thankfull i stopted with it i have already astma
i must say even the thinner with they say is not toxic smels a litlle like the other thinner here in holland
i stoped because the smel of the thinner i don,t trust it anymore

so i am right that the thinner would cause healthproblems
maybey you can use realeffect paint
there have i first painted with but i had tried GHSP because that paint is more beautyfull

i hope you find a way to paint again

hugs wil
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

JaNan wrote:True Sharon L :shock: and we have no idea what all we are exposed to environmentally...so why not control the ones you can? but..having said that ... 1 in 3 of us will have cancer anyway...so why not do what you love..that is my answer! :wink:
Yep, totally agree.cancer is usually a nasty lottery. My dad started smoking age 8, apparently his gran used to pass him ciggies under the kitchen table, I kid you not :shock: he's 71 now, still smokes, blood pressure fine, colestrol/sugars recently tested fine, & I was a bit surprised to hear his wife say they pretty much live off microwave meals because it's easier for just the 2 of them. And they are loaded with salt etc! He is very active though & if anything, a teeny bit under weight. We only had about 3 people that I know of over the last 100 years get cancer though. So maybe it's more genetic than we know.
Debbie@TNGUN

Post by Debbie@TNGUN »

If you are considering changing from Genesis to Air Dry Paints, I am teaching a 2 day "Make the Switch to Air Dry Paints" class in Denver next year at the ROSE show.

All of my dolls, except for AA Ethnic dolls, are painted with air dry paints, since 2008 :D
Debbie

heatherisdolliecrazy

Post by heatherisdolliecrazy »

Just a random question. Are the dolls that are finished safe?
Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

Debbie@TNGUN wrote:If you are considering changing from Genesis to Air Dry Paints, I am teaching a 2 day "Make the Switch to Air Dry Paints" class in Denver next year at the ROSE show.

All of my dolls, except for AA Ethnic dolls, are painted with air dry paints, since 2008 :D
Thank you for the information.
heatherisdolliecrazy wrote:Just a random question. Are the dolls that are finished safe?
I believe they are. Thinners evaporate. I know that being around my dolls once finished does not seem to bother me at all.
Ginas_reborns

Post by Ginas_reborns »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Nelle. I am like you and am pretty cautious. I bake the parts on a little workbench I have out in the garage. It is an attached garage so I bake out there year round. I do wear gloves and have those over the ear medical masks when I paint as well. I think the big thing for me is to bake them away from our living area and am not sure I would be reborning using GHSP if I had to bake them in the house. Some kits more than others give off fumes but they all do and they all stink when being baked. I have been reborning several years and so far no probs. Thank you much for sharing and reminding us to be careful. I hope you can make the air dry paints work because your babies are beautiful! Poor Binks feels just awful he may have made his maker sick! :(
Big hugs ~ x

Nellerina

Post by Nellerina »

Ginas_reborns wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles Nelle. I am like you and am pretty cautious. I bake the parts on a little workbench I have out in the garage. It is an attached garage so I bake out there year round. I do wear gloves and have those over the ear medical masks when I paint as well. I think the big thing for me is to bake them away from our living area and am not sure I would be reborning using GHSP if I had to bake them in the house. Some kits more than others give off fumes but they all do and they all stink when being baked. I have been reborning several years and so far no probs. Thank you much for sharing and reminding us to be careful. I hope you can make the air dry paints work because your babies are beautiful! Poor Binks feels just awful he may have made his maker sick! :(
Big hugs ~ x

Gina, you're always so kind and supportive to me. It really means a lot to me. :hug: Glad you're taking all the precautions and able to make GHSP work for you. I don't blame Binks for a thing! :baby: