How did you tell your parter about your dolls?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
frannie

Re: How did you tell your parter about your dolls?

Post by frannie »

My boyfriend didn't know about my dolls for about a year of our relationship (had my own flat, keep my dolls in a special cupboard so he would never see them). When I was ready to tell him I said to him that I had kept a secret from him and that I now wanted him to know. I let him guess and he came up with the wildest guesses, rofl....when I told him that I collect dolls he was like "don't try to fool me now" and when he realized I was serious he said "thank god, I thought it was something weird" :lol: ...he has been very supportive of my collecting ever since and encurages me to do what ever I enjoy. I was lucky :D ...
:heart: Bray :heart:
Jasmin

Post by Jasmin »

Suzanne wrote:Well it was kind of hard to hide it when he's in the same house with me. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

From the time I started dating my hubby, I never hid that I collected dolls of different sorts, in fact I'm very open about it so he's just always seen them around my house and even though he's not really into them, he is very supportive of my hobby, and occasionally likes to scare his friends and has me to show them off. :wink:

He also build me a nursery in our house so I would have a space all my own for them. I am lucky he is very supportive. :heart: :D
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
judyinontario

Post by judyinontario »

my hubby is amazing and totally supports my dolly hobby, for mothers day this year he bought me my movie camera and said I thought you might like to do movies of your reborns like some of the other ladies do and you can have your own channel, I love him he is a keeper :D
Beckie

Post by Beckie »

Mari wrote:Just out of curiosity how do you get paid to make yourtube videos? Is it the youthube aprtner thing or something else?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBh1mIALjY
Found this when I checked it out.
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

I had a small collection of Cabbage Patch dolls and Bears when my husband and I met. So he knew I liked such things from the beginning. As time went on and we were able to afford to spend money on ourselves, I just got into the more expensive dolls and bears. And he was very supportive and loved to see me get one each time.
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

I have been collecting dolls since 1991. DH bought the first doll for me a "Frankenmuth Friend" in Michigan & the collecting has "snowballed" from there. For Christmas in 2010, he even made me a crib for the babies in the doll room. He really likes the reborns & at DEDS in 2013, he got his first & only reborn which sits on his nightstand. I do make sure that I don't buy anything that we can't afford. Was much easier to collect when we were both working full-time. Now I am much more selective and do LONG layaways!!
Fun thread to follow!!
Qhloe

Post by Qhloe »

These are interesting.

Getting paid to make youtube videos is a different kind of interesting.

I find that when going with someone it is best to be transparent about things that you are passionate about.

*edited for grammatical errors.
Annette

Post by Annette »

I didn't start collecting until we'd been married for about 16 years. And my sister was the one who started me out with my first baby doll. She made me a "Sugar Britches" porcelain, and that was it.
I have a "dolly room" where they all sit, and have just one in the living room. He's fine with it, and sometimes comments on the faces of them, or if I'm changing the clothes on one. But it's no big deal to him. I use only dolly money for my dolls and things, so he really doesn't have anything to say about it. ;) There are only two dolls that he's really been taken with. The first one was a lifesize toddler, about the size of a 3 year old, called Christina, that I made in porcelain. He loves her face. :) And the other is my Leeza silicone.....he says she looked familiar when he first saw her, and she's so lifelike and looks like our granddaughter, MacKenna. :)

He does take an interest in my reborning though. Says it's amazing the difference some paint makes to the kits. :)
Oh, and he bought me a bassinet at the "Baby Crawl" a couple of years ago. :)
Hugs Annette
Fini07

Post by Fini07 »

My hubby isn't enthusiastic about my doll collection, and he thinks, the babys are creepy...

But when we dated first, I had a a large collection of Himstedts, which he accepted more. He says, I'm spending too much money on my dolls, which is probably true :D .

Well, I guess, if someone truly loves you, he or she has to arrange with your hobby.
Tolerance is everything in relationships.

I mean, there are worse things, you can spend your money for :D
Tanda

Post by Tanda »

My hubby and I met on a blind date and I told him on that first date that I collected dolls and always will. If he had not accepted me as I am then I would not have gone on the second date. Hugs, Tanda
Apple_Ashley

Post by Apple_Ashley »

OMG this thread is the answer to my prayers! I don't think my boyfriend would mind the "babies" that much, it's my Toddler I worry about. I am the only person in my life (that knows about my dollies) that doesn't think Brooke-Lyn (suzon tuzio-Ross) is creepy. We have been dating for 3 months now. He spends almost every night at my house. And if he is as snoopy as I am
He would already know. You just have to slide my wardrobe door to see their display. And if I have the middle door open all the way you can see the baby stuff to the right. It's not that I'm 'hiding' them, if he opened that door and asked me I would tell him no prob. But it's my social awkwardness not knowing how to bring the subject up lol!
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

When I met my husband I was a teenager, I always had some type of dolls in my room, mostly porcelain on shelves at the time.
When we moved in together, I only had a few from my childhood and some porcelains, he didn't care.
He had lego sets, and remote control trucks etc. We both always loved going to the toy stores on weekends.
I accept his hobbies, he accepts mine. Doesn't mean he likes them, he doesn't really care either way.
He always tells me, if I want it get it...as long as we can afford it.

When I told him my dream baby was a Molloy or Taylor silicone and he heard the price, that was the ONLY time he told me NO.
He said no way will he let me spend that on ONE doll!
LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS

Post by LINDASLITTLEBLESSINGS »

My husband has always supported my hobby/obsession :) . "A happy wife, a happy life!"
karinabrandt

Post by karinabrandt »

My story is probably quite different from the rest so here you go:

It was the fall 2004. I was going to move to a bigger flat and my old flat was up for viewing. A guy called to ask if he could come and see it and sure he could.
well, a bit later he came and was a bit startled by all the dolls in all sizes and parts everywhere. I had started packing moving boxes so it was quite a mess.

Well, he didn't take the flat but we talked well and later that same day I told my mum that I wouldn't mind hooking up with this guy, he was really nice, and he needed a flat because he was getting a divorce..so i knew he was free on the market. Until then I had been single by choice for 5 years straight.

Well, I moved, and six months later I was out walking my dog in the fields close to my new home, when someone else came towards me with his dog too. from a distance he warned me that his dog was a bit of a wild player, she was only a puppy still. Suddenly he said, "Hey' its you with all the dolls in your house..." and I confirmed and then we started to talk and he asked how my new home was. so I took the chance and invited him home for coffee so he could see my new home and he came along... "and there's still dolls everywhere" he said with a laugh.

Well, today, some dolls less and two beautiful daughters later, we're still together, and in six months time we can celebrate our 10th anniversary.

hugs
karina
Visit my new website with unique handknit and sewn clothes for dolls, babies and toddlers
New location on http://www.beautiful-baby.dk
Elle Rae

Post by Elle Rae »

That is a beautiful story, Karina :')
karinabrandt

Post by karinabrandt »

thank you Elle, I think so too. I wonder how many met their husbands like that...
Visit my new website with unique handknit and sewn clothes for dolls, babies and toddlers
New location on http://www.beautiful-baby.dk
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

My husband collects all kinds of ball cards................Enough said.................Hugs, Kathy
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Laurax wrote:Just wondering. Were they freaked out? As some might know, I own a YouTube channel for my reborns, and I make realistic videos with them. Sort of like a 'realistic puppeteering' I guess. I do get paid to do it, and it is my primary source of income. I just don't know how I bring it up in conversation and wonder if anyone has any stories. It's definitely an unconventional job and I don't want to scare people away because it.
How do you get paid for it? Did you monetize your channel? I always thought that to make money you could live off of on YT you needed a LOT of subscribers and views and I didn't think the reborn world provided enough viewership to be able to make a living off of it????
krystleslittlemonkeys

Post by krystleslittlemonkeys »

lifesabeachbabyKim wrote:
Laurax wrote:Just wondering. Were they freaked out? As some might know, I own a YouTube channel for my reborns, and I make realistic videos with them. Sort of like a 'realistic puppeteering' I guess. I do get paid to do it, and it is my primary source of income. I just don't know how I bring it up in conversation and wonder if anyone has any stories. It's definitely an unconventional job and I don't want to scare people away because it.
How do you get paid for it? Did you monetize your channel? I always thought that to make money you could live off of on YT you needed a LOT of subscribers and views and I didn't think the reborn world provided enough viewership to be able to make a living off of it????
It varies person to person. I get paid for my videos too but I don't make enough to make a living off of it. But it's nice to make some extra money anyway. :)
Krystle's Little Monkeys
http://www.krystleslittlemonkeys.com