Who pre-heats their ovens?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Cindy428

Who pre-heats their ovens?

Post by Cindy428 »

I was just wondering how many pre-heat their ovens before putting the parts in? Is is needed?
I preheat mine to 265 then bake for 8-8.50 minutes
krystleslittlemonkeys

Re: Who pre-heats their ovens?

Post by krystleslittlemonkeys »

I always do
Krystle's Little Monkeys
http://www.krystleslittlemonkeys.com

Cindy428

Post by Cindy428 »

im reading more and more that people dont but if you dont then how is it that the vinyl will only cure at 265 and only for a few minutes, doesnt make sense to me
Annette

Post by Annette »

If I'm using my convection/bake oven, I do, but I haven't used my halogen one yet.
I don't see how you can pre-heat a halogen one, without the heat dropping when you lift the top off.
Hugs Annette
sarahdaugherty

Post by sarahdaugherty »

Pre heat and then some before putting parts in! It's important for the oven to be heated to the correct temp and that the steam is burnt off. Bc if the moisture of the preheat is on the parts then the paint will get wet and wipe off and not bake on! So I do pre heat my oven plus a few min. then bake at 265 degrees for 8-9 min. My last bake after I seal baby is 270 degrees for 15 min.
wallflower

Post by wallflower »

I definitely preheated my regular oven and baked at 265 for 8 to 12 minutes but my nuwave does not have to be preheated. I just can't believe how there are no fumes with the nuwave. I absolutely love mine. You just set it and it turns itself off at the end of the cooking time. No more worry about hearing your timer go off.
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Cindy428 wrote:im reading more and more that people dont but if you dont then how is it that the vinyl will only cure at 265 and only for a few minutes, doesnt make sense to me
I think she meant a conventional oven because you never need to preheat a Nuwave type oven(halogen or convection) but you ALWAYS have to preheat a conventional kitchen oven.

In fact you CAN'T preheat a convection or halogen oven. It cycles on and off during the heating and the minute you turn it off to take the lid back off to put in the parts the cooking space becomes room temperature again so it is not possible. I just think there has been some confusion about the types of ovens used. that's all.
Cindy428

Post by Cindy428 »

I use a convection oven and have a thermometer inside, I always preheat it to 275 bake for 8 1/2 minutes if i dont preheat its 150 degrees, also when i open the door and put the other set of limbs inside the temp stays at 275 being its only second or two to put new parts inside
Cindy428

Post by Cindy428 »

I want to try a nuwave oven but always confused as to what one to buy
WithloveSteph

Post by WithloveSteph »

I preheat and bake mine to 10 mins
With Love,
Stephanie
annemarie

Post by annemarie »

I pre heat and bake 9 min
lifesabeachbabyKim

Cindy428 wrote:I want to try a nuwave oven but always confused as to what one to buy
I think now I am the one being confused lol! The type I am speaking of is the round type not the type with a door. The type I use it is necessary to remove the whole top half of the oven to put in or take out parts which is why the heat all escapes during this process. I have never had to preheat any of the round oven I have used. I highly recommend the NuWave brand oven as it is not a halogen which requires the bulb to be replaced periodicaly which in some models is impossible without buying a whole new machine. And NuWave also sells just the heating part separately although it does fit the Morningware halogen oven perfectly. It uses a heating element and a fan to create the convection currents and it works fabulously. The best part is you turn it on and go. Turns itself off and so you don't have to worry about ruining a kit. Right now I have 2 ovens. One was a Morningware that the halogen bulb died 2 months after I got it so I replaced the heating part with a NuWave top and then I have a whole NuWave separate so basically I use 2 NuWave ovens. They are great!! :) one more thing, if you do get a round type oven make sure your oven comes with the extender ring. Most do but some still don't. :)
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

No. I use a halogen, so you can't. But heat set paints are set when they reach the temperature anyway, the length of time it's at that temperature isn't relivent. I know this, because I tried & tested it making reborns :lol:
lifesabeachbabyKim

Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:No. I use a halogen, so you can't. But heat set paints are set when they reach the temperature anyway, the length of time it's at that temperature isn't relivent. I know this, because I tried & tested it making reborns :lol:
Yep you are absolutely right. I used to think (and I think a lot of people still do) that the parts had to reach 275 and stay at 275 for the full 8 minutes but they just have to reach it and poof! They are done! It just takes that long for the parts to reach that temp.
krystleslittlemonkeys

Post by krystleslittlemonkeys »

lifesabeachbabyKim wrote:
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:No. I use a halogen, so you can't. But heat set paints are set when they reach the temperature anyway, the length of time it's at that temperature isn't relivent. I know this, because I tried & tested it making reborns :lol:
Yep you are absolutely right. I used to think (and I think a lot of people still do) that the parts had to reach 275 and stay at 275 for the full 8 minutes but they just have to reach it and poof! They are done! It just takes that long for the parts to reach that temp.
Wow! I didn't know this either!
Krystle's Little Monkeys
http://www.krystleslittlemonkeys.com

Lyndie in Paris

Post by Lyndie in Paris »

I always preheat to 265 in my convection oven and bake 8 minutes. I find it interesting that some people have higher heat and longer times - but of course what you set the oven at and what it heats to may not be the same.

Now that I think of it - maybe that part about reaching the temperature is the critical part and- maybe bigger kits or thicker parts take longer.

I do use a temperature gun and point it at the doll to see how hot it is - but of course it cools off rapidly - so it's a gestimate.
Robin Stoete, reborn by me for a Mother's Day swap