size of a newborn

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Marita Winters

size of a newborn

Post by Marita Winters »

I have a question for all of you people who have a REAL baby in your home or close by where you could measure. I am so used to seeing these HUGE newborn doll kits that are out and am wondering if the real newborns you know are really this big???? The ones I see around me and in my church nursery etc are so tiny compared to the doll kits I see.

The newborn babies (less than a week old) I am seeing are about the size of my Benji kit as far as the head size and limb size. My Mikki and Zinny and Sweet Carolina are way bigger than any newborn I am seeing. And that is great if the doll is sculpted to look like an older baby. I know a lot of people prefer this size because it is easy to find clothes. But if it is sculpted to look newborn, that is a different thing. Maybe they are sculpted after 9 or 10 pound babies and I just don't have any that size here to see.

Please compare any baby you have around to a kit you have in person. Tell us how old your real baby is, and which kit is closest to the head and limb size of the kit. I only have my own dolls to compare them to, but please compare yours to whatever kits you have handy.

I will start:
A newborn 5lb. baby that my daughter's friend has compares to the size of my triplet dolls (huggable, loveable, kissable). SO TINY!!
A newborn baby (one week old) -just over 7 pounds - is the size of my Maisie and Benji kits.

I wish I had taken photos with the kits!! That would be great to have too! Next time I will do that. Please give me your comparisons and photograph them too if you can! Thanks!
Dion

Re: size of a newborn

Post by Dion »

:D As a labor and delivery RN, the majority of the newborns born at the hospital where I work are between 19 inches and 22 inches. They often look smaller than dolls, however, because they draw their legs up so much. When you swaddle them, they really can look short sometimes! Hope this helps!

:foryou: Hugs and Blessings, Dion
Mari

Post by Mari »

My kids were born 4 weeks early and were 5 pounds 10 ounces and 18.5 inches. They were tiny but preemie stuff was too small on them they wore NB from the start. In reborns I tend to like the bigger babies, mostly because there is a bigger variety in clothing in NB size and up that in preemie.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

I have had 2 babies...my first was almost 9 lbs. and to me he was HUGE, the clothes I brought to the hospital for him were all too small! He was almost the size of your Carolina, just a bit bigger.
My daughter was a tiny peanut at just over 5 lbs. and I would say was around Benji size.

It does seem a lot of people are having bigger babies lately!

I prefer the smaller babies, large preemie/newborn size the best.
Evie_P

Post by Evie_P »

Hiya!

My babies were all what I would consider average size .... The biggest being the first at 8lbs.9oz and 21.5 inches long .. then 7.8lbs and 19.5 inches long .. then 7.2 and 20 inches long and finally 8.1 and 21 inches long. They were all full term babies but still seemed so tiny. I think that is why I prefer bigger babies. The really teenie reborns 17-18 inches just feel too teenie to feel realistic to me. I would definitely consider those preemies :heart:
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

Thank you all for your replies! Babies come in all sizes don't they!! Dion - lucky you to be working with tiny ones all the time!! If I lived closer to the hospital, I would volunteer to rock and feed those preemies!
WithloveSteph

Post by WithloveSteph »

LOL my son was 22.5 inches at birth and 10 lbs. So I don't know what normal is lol He came home in 0-3 months and size 1 diapers. :lol:
With Love,
Stephanie
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

WOW!! Which doll kit is that size?
ttulsajess

Post by ttulsajess »

WithloveSteph wrote:LOL my son was 22.5 inches at birth and 10 lbs. So I don't know what normal is lol He came home in 0-3 months and size 1 diapers. :lol:
Two of mine were that way too (10lb 11ozs, 22 inches). My last was over a full pound and inch smaller than my middle two (9lbs 8 ozs, 21"). I kept talking about how tiny he was (fit perfectly into carter's newborn size) and the nurses looked at me like I was crazy. I would say the most realistic newborn size kits are the proportions of Laura Lee Eagles babies. Zinny's head is a bit bigger than normal size babies but her length was good. I love her. Your proportions are really nice. Newborn babies are very scrunched up so they do seem smaller.
Nanas Joyful Babies

Post by Nanas Joyful Babies »

My smallest was 8lbs 4oz. The others between 9 and 10. All of them were about20.5 inches long. So mine were compact chubby things. There are few kits out that truly remind me of a newborn of mine.
hugs
joy
WithloveSteph

Post by WithloveSteph »

Marita Winters wrote:WOW!! Which doll kit is that size?
I got a portrait doll made of my son as a new born and the kit that was used was Raven by Tamie Yarie. He is one of my biggest sleeping babies in my collection too lol But I have to say, the size of the kit was very similar to the size he was as a newborn. The doll wears 0-3 months too lol
With Love,
Stephanie
Beth

Post by Beth »

My youngest son was 6 1/2 lbs. 19 1/2 in. long his head cir. was barely 13in. around. So I have kits that are a lot
bigger than he was at birth. He was in size NB and they were a tad big not much. I wish there were more kits true to size.
Hugs,
Beth
KeishaJay

Post by KeishaJay »

I don't have any kids, but my sister and I were both over 9 lbs. She was longer at 21.5" and I was 20", I think. Big heads run in the family, but I'd have to look at the hospital stuff to know for sure. I always imagine the 20-21" kits being about our size.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

My great nephew was born three weeks ago. He was 6 pounds 11 ounces and 18 inches long. This is my SIL hand with him in the pic. And she doesn't have giant hands. :wink: He was about three or 4 days old in this pic.
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

I just brought your Raleigh to the hospital to visit my housekeeper. They had her on the maternity floor. In comparison to a just born baby that was 18 inches and 4lbs something ouncesshe was a lot bigger it seemed lol however the nurses said she was about the right size for a newborn if that helps any. My grandbabies were tiny and my god child was really tiny she could sleep sideways in a bassinet and not touch either side lol
Silvia

Post by Silvia »

Lately I have seen 3 newborn babies but all them was really different so I think there's not an exact size for a 'newborn' baby. One of them was a girl that was 18'' but she was so shrunked that looked like a 17'' but on the hospital she was considered a preemie, she was a couple of days on the incubator, she was like your Benji. The other newborn was around 19'' and around 6,6lb, that is usually the size I have seen on newborns in general. The other baby was a 21'' chubby boy around 8,7lb but even being big he was so newborn, the skin, the very bend legs etc. If it serve I was 21'' and near 5,9lb when I was born. So well... is difficult to say, depends on the baby.
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

My daughter was 9.4 pounds and was 22" long and my son was 11.3 pounds and was 24" and came home from the hospital in a 6 month outfit. Define newborn again? Lol.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

My real babies all weighed just 6 lbs and were 19 inches long.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

I don't think there is such a thing as a "normal" sized newborn. They are as individual as big people. LOL. My twins were born 3 weeks early and weighed 4.3 and 4.13, exactly 9 lbs put together. I don't remember but I think they were less than 18" long. Of course, they were really tiny but at the time, they were the bigger babies in the I.C. Nursery. When they moved into the more healthy baby nursery, those babies looked like Amazon Babies to us. LOL. It's funny how quickly we all get used to whatever we have. My girls seemed very "normal" to me, but they were tiny.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

My boy was 8lb15oz, 51cm long with a 36cm head. I only had your teddi kit to compare at the time (wished taken pictures) but the kit was far bigger, in length and head size.