size of a newborn

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Marita Winters

Re: size of a newborn

Post by Marita Winters »

WOW Sandi!!! That is amazing! Babies are all different sizes aren't they!!
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

Just saw this 19 pounder on Facebook. Not sure if this is for real or not!
https://www.facebook.com/Power961/photo ... 49/?type=1
margaretsbabies

Post by margaretsbabies »

Marita all my babies were different. My first was 20.5 inches long and weighed 7lbs. My second was 22.5 inches long and weighed 7lbs 11 oz and she looked really chubby. My third was a delicate little thing 18 inches long but 8lb 3 oz and was so cute and chubby. My last child was 22.5 inches long and weighed 7lb 4 oz and he looked really scrawny....he did fill out quickly though. LOL
I just like them to look and feel floppy like a newborn does. They are all so beautiful when painted well.
Marg
preciouslittlebabiesrachel

Post by preciouslittlebabiesrachel »

I took these measurements of Luke when he was a few days old:

7.5 heal to toe
10 centre or knee to crook of foot (ankle)
9.5 ankle circ
12 calf circ
17 thigh circ
28 leg length from groin
Finger 3
Palm 7
8.5 wrist circ
9 forearm circ
12 shoulder to elbow
24 from neck to groin
37 head circ
38 cheats circ
41 tummy circ

Measurements are all in cms.

I do think most newborn kits are bigger than real newborns, I prefer them smaller. To me an 18inch kit is perfect 'newborn' size. The newborn sized clothing is generally for 50cm (20inch) babies and has always been too big for my little ones when they were born
LHargreaves

Post by LHargreaves »

Ryan Scholl was the only kit I ever reborned that was accurate to a real newborn. His arms and legs especially had real newborn detail shaper and size.
chick1_26 aka Kelly

Post by chick1_26 aka Kelly »

my 2 younger girls were my bigger girls, Delaney was 8'12" and 21 inches long, and Chloe was 8'5" and 21 inches long. Delaney came home in a preemie sized dress, but granted it was sized big, it just fit her. Chloe come home in a 0-3 months, and it swallowed her whole! she wore the same dress til about 5 months of age..lol. Bethany was my smallest, she was 6'11" and 18 inches long(and a c-section I might add, go figure...lol). she wore a newborn to 2 months outfit home, and it swallowed her whole and she was able to wear it til almost 6 months of age also.

I don't have any pics scanned of Bethany and Delaney in their coming home outfits, but I do have one of Chloe(not sure why I don't have all three :dunno: )

here's Chloe, we were just waiting on daddy to come back up and get us.

you can see my phone at the time, laying beside her, so you can kind of use that for scale.
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Marita Winters wrote:WOW!! Which doll kit is that size?
Like a BB Libby! LOL! Big baby!

Mine were both the size of Benji/Maisie almost exactly(except the length). My first was 6lbs 13ozs and the 2nd was 7lbs 4 ozs, 20.25" and 19" respectively.(Elizabeth, my 1st, was long and thin cause I had been so ill during my 1st pregnancy but she sure caught up!)
TinyTimms_Doris

Post by TinyTimms_Doris »

Hi Marita!
I have preemie babies usually in the four to five pound range.
This first picture was when one of my sons was about a month old. So probably newborn size.
This next picture was when my son was 6 weeks old. So again probably newborn size. As he was 5lb 5 oz at birth.
The last picture he is six months and 16 pounds! A Chunk!! Coco is 18 inches. He is almost 26 inches.
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

My real newborns were 6 lbs, 13oz, 18" long, 6pounds 15 ozs, & 18 1/2 inches long, & 8lbs. 2 1/2 ozs. & 19" long.
Their heads were all between 13-13 1/2 inches around & their chest circumferences were in the same range, hope this helps with the sizes.
Newborn sizes were big on the boys, & fit the daughter, the bigger baby just fine.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Our grandsons were all preemies, each born about 4 weeks early & as preemies they ranged at 4 pounds, 4ozs, 6 lbs. 8 ozs & 6 pounds 10zs.
and were 17", 18" & 19" long. The smallest one was the only one that spent extra time at the hospital, 4 days & went home at 4 pounds.
For myself in dolls, I like no bigger than 18-19" range and weighed at 6 pounds or under is even better! JMHO!
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

My son was 6 lbs. 15 oz. and he was 18 1/2 inches long. So I would guess he was about the size of Tanner reborn doll completed. The head seemed just about right. Also Cale in my siggy is pretty close to how he felt in size when I brought him home.
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

Thank you ladies for responding!! I am love LOVE LOVING the photos and details and measurements. Just goes to show how different babies are.
grandmasheryl

Post by grandmasheryl »

my first baby overdue was 21 inches long and 7 lbs 13 oz he was long and skinny ,his head looked very proportionate for his size ,he is now 6 foot 3
2nd baby also overdue was 7 lbs 2 oz and only 18 inches long,cute and full (not pudgy) his head looked a little smaller he is now 6 foot 2 :D
My niece had a full term girl she weighed 9 lb 12 oz and was 23 inches long with a huge head NO new born baby hats would fit she had to wear 9 to 12 month size at birth:shock: her second was 10 lbs 2 oz and was also 23 inches long but he was proportioned normally both kids are completely normal (well as normal as teenagers can be anyway)
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Marita Winters wrote:Thank you all for your replies! Babies come in all sizes don't they!! Dion - lucky you to be working with tiny ones all the time!! If I lived closer to the hospital, I would volunteer to rock and feed those preemies!

I volunteered in the NICU before. I love it. It was heartbreaking and miraculous all at the same time.

My babies were 5.12 19 inches to 7.6 20 inches. I just had a coworkers baby come to the office Friday. She was 3 weeks old. So tiny. I think Tavi's size. He's the only newborn I have to compare that you would know. I am working on Maisie. But she is preemie for sure.
Angelicabeb

Re: size of a newborns

Post by Angelicabeb »

My first son was 10.4 lb and 22" long with a 15" head circumference.
My second son was 14.6 lb and 25" long with a 16.5 head circumference :shock: :shock: C- section baby :wink:
My daughter was 9.4 lb and was so petite at only 21" with a 14" head circumference :lol:
My last son was 10.7 lb and had a head circumference of 15.5"

They are so different! It really is an amazing thing!!

I think your babies are so beautifully sculpted Marita :foryou:
Thank you,
Angelica

Jaunty Jagoda

Post by Jaunty Jagoda »

I'm not a sculptor, but if I were I think I'd use this:
http://hpc.anatomy4sculptors.com/

I know it does not answer the question how big newborns are, but according to previous posts there's no such thing as typical newborn ;)
LollipopCradle_Paula

Post by LollipopCradle_Paula »

I have six children. My smallest baby was almost 8 lbs and 20 inches long and my biggest was almost 9 lbs and 21 inches ling. I agree that the fact they are scrunched up makes them seem smaller than the reborns.
Froggies4Brandi

Post by Froggies4Brandi »

WithloveSteph wrote:LOL my son was 22.5 inches at birth and 10 lbs. So I don't know what normal is lol He came home in 0-3 months and size 1 diapers. :lol:
LOL!! That is exactly how my nephew Logan was. He was nearly 22" and weighed 9lbs 13oz. xD
I was 21.5" and was 9lb 3oz. I guess big newborns run in our family!! LOL!!
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

My first baby was 8 lbs 8 oz and 18 inches long……a short fat baby, and my second baby was 8 lbs 9 oz and 19.5 inches long, so my babies were on the short side when they were born, but filled out. :D
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

My girlfriend's son just had a baby and he was 8lb 4oz. and 21 inches long.