Doll shows and safety

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
amandasbabies

Doll shows and safety

Post by amandasbabies »

Hello! I have never been to a doll show before, but my friend and I are planning on attending one in Ohio. In general, are the shows safe to bring your expensive dolls? I have read about theft, and it worries me a bit. Please tell me that it's rare to have a doll stolen.
Nanas Joyful Babies

Re: Doll shows and safety

Post by Nanas Joyful Babies »

Hi
Are you planning on displaying or bringing and walking around with your baby?
Walking around is perfectly safe! If you are displaying then the venue usually provides security at all times with a nighttime lock up by guards.
Are you perhaps going to the Toledo Show in October? Four of us are exhibiting there and feel really secure in regards to doll safety.
hugs
joy
amandasbabies

Post by amandasbabies »

Hi Joy! Yes, my good friends and I are going! We are not displaying, just going to a show for the first time as we both just bought Romie babies. Our husbands are concerned, as hers was 11k and mine 9.5k, and they are worried about their value. We plan to wear the babies on us in a front carrier harness as we walk, but our hubby's are worried about us walking back to the car after people recognize the dolls.

I know this all sounds silly, but they are expensive, but at the same time, we want to play too! I would assume there are many other Romie owners that bring their babies too, right?
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

You would be safe to bring dolls. When I went to DEDS the first year, Nancy had her Romie baby with her. I can't see any of the doll ladies jumping you to steal your dolls :) Bring them and have fun!
12_11_11 Liddy

Post by 12_11_11 Liddy »

amandasbabies wrote:Hi Joy! Yes, my good friends and I are going! We are not displaying, just going to a show for the first time as we both just bought Romie babies. Our husbands are concerned, as hers was 11k and mine 9.5k, and they are worried about their value. We plan to wear the babies on us in a front carrier harness as we walk, but our hubby's are worried about us walking back to the car after people recognize the dolls.

I know this all sounds silly, but they are expensive, but at the same time, we want to play too! I would assume there are many other Romie owners that bring their babies too, right?
:hi ya:

Firstly, woohoo on going out with your friend and your two lovely babies :heart:

I have a friend with a Romie baby and she and I recently took our 'girls' to a dolly meet and the ladies there were utterly delightful and very respectful of them.

I also took my Romie girl to a dolly show yesterday in her stroller and had a lovely time. Because silicones are still less common to see at dolly meets in the UK, there were quite a few ladies that were interested in touching her, but if you just explain that you prefer them to enjoy with their eyes then I'm sure you won't have a problem.

It's absolutely non of my business, but with baby carriers, just be careful on the amount of pressure you put on the crotch area, your girls have similar chunky thighs to my siggy baby and I'd hate for them to be injured in anyway.

Have a wonderful time, photos please :foryou:
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

I'm always a bit Leary of leaving the expensive babies alone in the hotel rooms but perhaps you don't intend to do that. I really doubt you'd get mugged for your baby. I think for the most part, dolly people are friendly, respectful, and great to have fun with. Have a super time.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
amandasbabies

Post by amandasbabies »

Oh wonderful!! Thank you so much! We just love our babies and want to show them off and browse at all the new and upcoming babies as well. I'm so excited to go to my first doll show!!!

I was thinking the carrier would be best as strollers are bulky. I can't just carry her in my arms the whole time though, she weighs a ton! LOL

Do most people that bring a baby to walk around in bring a stroller, or carry them?
krystleslittlemonkeys

Post by krystleslittlemonkeys »

amandasbabies wrote:Oh wonderful!! Thank you so much! We just love our babies and want to show them off and browse at all the new and upcoming babies as well. I'm so excited to go to my first doll show!!!

I was thinking the carrier would be best as strollers are bulky. I can't just carry her in my arms the whole time though, she weighs a ton! LOL

Do most people that bring a baby to walk around in bring a stroller, or carry them?
I usually bring a small umbrella type stroller. Puts lots of pressure off of my arms and any goodies I buy I can stash in the little compartment under the stroller. I would find the carrier would be hard to wear after a while because the babies are so heavy, but that could just me and the pain I get from Lupus.
Krystle's Little Monkeys
http://www.krystleslittlemonkeys.com

amandasbabies

Post by amandasbabies »

Oh! I like the idea of a place to put goodies!! I hadn't thought about that! I have a bad neck, no cartilage left in 3 spaces, so I bet I would be pretty uncomfortable after a while!
Tina

Post by Tina »

To be honest I never take a lot of notice of the babies belonging to other ladies, I am more interested in the items and dolls being sold by the vendors there, I do not usually take a baby with me as I like to be "free" to enjoy all that is displayed there.
I think if you keep your babies close to your chest you should be fine, enjoy yourselves and try not to worry. X
jodim44

Post by jodim44 »

Definitely use a stroller! Your back would be killing you before you got even a fourth of the way through. I am exhibiting with Joy, I take strollers every time I go to a show, way more fun!!
12_11_11 Liddy

Post by 12_11_11 Liddy »

amandasbabies wrote:Oh wonderful!! Thank you so much! We just love our babies and want to show them off and browse at all the new and upcoming babies as well. I'm so excited to go to my first doll show!!!

I can't quote a USA show as I've never been, but lots of uk ladies use strollers. I know what you mean about the weight though, ten minutes of 12lbs in dead weight is enough to have me going like jelly!

Plus as someone mentioned, buggy = shopping capacity :lol:
Monique_B

Post by Monique_B »

Just keep in mind the weight and the length of time. I took my first large silicone to a doll show in a side carrier. She's 6 month size and 13-14lbs! She got in the way a little because I never felt comfortable completely letting go of her even though she was secure so I only had one hand to browse with. It got even harder as the hours drew on and I still had to carry her. The next day I literally couldn't move. My whole back hurt SO bad! I ended up getting a stroller and it was so much nicer the next time I went. Of course the storage is great, then there's the free hands to shop and best of all, if you get a new baby they can hitch a ride with whoever you bring :) I use a front facing stroller so I can keep an eye on my baby or babies at all times.

As far as safety, I've never felt concerned at shows. Most people mind their own business but the ones that are curious will ask questions. Just keep in mind that it's ok to ask people not to touch. The doll show I went to where I had my first large silicone at, as I was walking around a woman came up to me and asked to look at her. Then she reached out and slid her finger tip across my doll's temple. Her acrylic nail actually scratched the silicone lightly. Not all that noticeable but her being a brand new addition and on the spendy side, I was super upset. I made a rule from then on that I would request people not to touch.

You'll find that the doll community in person is very respectful and kind. I've made some great friends at the doll shows and look forward to seeing them each time I go :)
amandasbabies

Post by amandasbabies »

Yes, I agree, there will be no touching. I plan to have her in a long sleeve pants outfit with socks. You never know what people could have on their finger tips. Grease from food, lotion, perfume etc. I don't want to risk anything with the paint or silicone. Honestly, I wash my hands before I pick her up.
wallflower

Post by wallflower »

Take you a stroller. The first show I went to I had no stroller but noticed so many did have. The first thing I did after getting home was purchase a stroller. It holds your baby, your purse, all the goodies you buy and more. It makes the best adult walker and takes the strain off you. People will be curious about your baby but you can ask them kindly not to touch and they will respect your wishes. Take your babies and have a good time, with a little caution they will be fine. Doll people are really kind people.
TinyTimms_Doris

Post by TinyTimms_Doris »

Oh how fun!! Yes, a stroller is a must. Lots of people have them and I like the extra storage too.
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Don't worry, theft happened unfortunately but the dolls were always stolen from tables at the show, nobody was ever doll-mugged! ;)
Going to a show is a fantastic experience, you will be so thrilled!! The first time you attend because of the dolls, by the second time you attend because of the many friends you made!
amandasbabies

Post by amandasbabies »

Awww, I love your comment about making friends! Yes, I'm so excited!!! Can you recommend which hotel to stay at?
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

To maximize the chances of meeting people and making friends stay at the hotel featured by the show, or where the show is held. I don't know which one you're planning to attend but an email to whoever organizes it will solve your doubts. :) Have fun!!!
Nanas Joyful Babies

Post by Nanas Joyful Babies »

If you are planning on going to the Toledo Show on the 12th of October you would have no need of a hotel. The Shanahan Center is just a few miles over the Ohio border and easy to get to. Just follow the directions on the show site.
As to saftey in their parking lot....there are guards at the door and the parking lot is wide open and well lit. Very safe area, no worries at all.
I doubt at this show that there would be anyone who would recognize a Romie doll. It is an eclectic show with vintage, antique, play and now with the 4 of us going there will be reborns as well. When we went last April there was a LOT of antique and vintage baby clothing which we all took advantage of. LOL
Definitely bring a stroller.....don't make yourself miserable.
hugs
joy
hope to see you there! We have 4 tables in the Lobby area and will have our reborns as well as some other type dolls on display.