Shipping Question Re Flat Rate Shipping

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
mtro

Shipping Question Re Flat Rate Shipping

Post by mtro »

Hello,
Does anyone know if there is any advantage to shipping with a flat rate box with USPS? It seems to me that it is almost always more expensive to do it that way rather than have the package weighed and sent even with priority mail USPS but not flat rate. Let me know your thoughts on this. I remember that years ago the flat rate used to be an advantage but I don't think it is anymore. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
LollipopCradle_Paula

Re: Shipping Question Re Flat Rate Shipping

Post by LollipopCradle_Paula »

It really depends on the contents and where you are sending it. I mailed a package across the country (from GA to CA) yesterday for twice the cost as a large flat rate box but it wouldn't quite fit in the flat rate. :-( I have purchased a postal scale (on e-bay for $15) because it's cheaper to print the postage at home. Since i have the postal scale, i can figure out whether flat rate or using my own box is best. I think at this point the small flat rate is just a convenient size not necessarily cost effective.
mtro

Post by mtro »

Thanks for that advice Paula! It is very helpful.
Nanas Joyful Babies

Post by Nanas Joyful Babies »

It totally depends on the weight in the box.
If you are mailing heavy objects, like books or fabric then flat rate is cheapest. But it is toss up with a doll. Just remember heavy is flat rate light is priority.
hugs
joy
mtro

Post by mtro »

Got it! Thanks!
englishjan

Post by englishjan »

I USE THE LARGE FLAT RATE BOX A LOT , IF IT IS BEING SHIPPED NEAR TO WHERE YOU LIVE THEN ITS BETTER TO PUT IT IN A BOX AND SHIP PRIORITY BUT IF ITS BEING SHIPPED A LONG DISTANCE THEN FLAT RATE IS BEST. I THINK FLAT RATE LARGE BOX HOLDS 17LBS SO YOU COULD PUT A REAL HEAVY BABY IN IT. THATS IF IT WILL FIT. AI CAN GET A 20 INCH INSIDE. HOPE THIS HELPS.
mtro

Post by mtro »

Thanks, that is helpful Jan.

If I were to wrap the flat rate box in paper and then mail, then I could use the box and not pay flat rate, but have it weighed, when that is more beneficial, is that true?
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

mtro wrote:Thanks, that is helpful Jan.

If I were to wrap the flat rate box in paper and then mail, then I could use the box and not pay flat rate, but have it weighed, when that is more beneficial, is that true?
If the post office finds out about that you could face a fine.
mtro

Post by mtro »

Oh its not allowed? I didn't realize that, which is why I'm asking. I wasn't trying to be sneaky. Thanks for letting me know. :oops: :oops:
mtro

Post by mtro »

I love Dollfan because I can get the advice of so many experts at once. It would be much more complicated to research it on the internet.
mtro

Post by mtro »

Pebby wrote:

Last edited by mtro on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtro

Post by mtro »

mtro wrote:
Pebby wrote:

Actually, surprisingly, I just went to the post office for something else and asked about this too. The postmaster said that as long as the priority box was completely covered I could use the box without being tied to priority shipping or the flat rate. Who knew? :)
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

It's up to you but it is illegal..if your really concerned about it I would check further into it.
mtro

Post by mtro »

OK thanks for letting me know.
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

You can go to USPS web site and also to ebays community ( shipping ) and read others experience doing that. It may help. That is why they started printing the boxes on the inside because people were taking them apart and using them for other than priority shipping.
mtro

Post by mtro »

I'll check that out! Thanks for the heads up. And I didn't know about Ebay community either. It's interesting though. I guess the postal clerk shouldn't have told I could do that. He probably didn't realize that it's not allowed. Don't worry I won't though. If you can't you can't.