TINA KEWY AND HER THIEVING WAYS: UPDATE

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Sandis Doll House

Re: TINA KEWY AND HER THIEVING WAYS: UPDATE

Post by Sandis Doll House »

dana wrote:
NadiaK wrote:
Create A Baby~Tanya wrote:What I think is sad is for those of us that purchased osaks with rights to reproduce them for BIG $$$ and because she has ruined her rep people are saying they will never buy her kits again making it hard for those to want to reproduce the pre purchased ooaks they have had for year while they had made other kits first...

I still have some ooaks I purchased from Tina over 2 years ago with the intention of having them made into silicone and vinyl :(
You would probably be better off just selling them as ooaks. I think you would have a better chance of selling them this way. Anything that is reproduced now after everything has come out will be much more difficult to sell in my opinion.
I myself have OOaks from Tina that I plan to produce in silicone.. I had to pay for the production rights and for the sculpt .. I would NEVER get the money back out of what I paid .I paid for these items before I knew anything about Tina.. Yall may have posted on here but I have only been a part of the dolly world three years and two ( almost 3) on doll fan so by no means had I read all to know on doll fan when I bought the OOAKS . I don't think it is fair for anyone to expect me to throw thousands of dollars away for mistakes Tina made nor do I think my integrity should be questioned.
1. Tina has been paid by me so she no longer makes money on my sales..
2. I think my integrity speaks for it's self .. I pride myself on integrity .
3. I made special offers on my dolls to the ladies that I knew had been taken by Tina and I also donated $5,200 of the money I earned off of the sale of my silicones to
The March of Dimes in October.
4 At this point between the money I have donated and the money I have paid for the rights ,the sculpt, to have them mold and cast I am by NO means making big bucks... between the clothes, the fees , the rights, the sculpt, the mold and cast on a $3200 sale I brought home $700....... Yes $700 is a nice amount but nothing like the $3200 it looks like I am making ... Plus it takes a lot of hours to make these babies .
I understand all you ladies have a right to your opinion but I would appreciate my integrity not being questioned because I can not imagine any of you throwing away thousands of dollars just to prove a point . I totally understand if you do not want to buy my babies or say anything encouraging on my post ..that is your choice.
I know my name was not mentioned and I did appreciate it .. After reading all the post I just felt the need to justify myself.

Thank you for posting what you did Dana. I always wondered how you produced the silicone dolls you do...which by the way are amazing!
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I have never owned a Kewy baby...but have admired them. I agree from reading this post that Tina is a person who is not to be trusted. Don't buy from her unless you are willing to never see the doll or the money again. I agree with all that BUT ....... boycotting Tina is not the same as boycotting dolls that have already been sold to collectors or dolls that were purchased with the rights to reproduce them at a later date. I know that the dolls will carry the Kewy name and thus give her advertising.... but I keep thinking that if a woman or man go to jail for fraud or stealing or murder --- do we punish their children or parents also. That's the way I feel about the dolls who are in collections and were purchased in good faith and many times on the secondary market..... why should the people who purchased the dolls be tarred with the same broad brush that is painting Tina in such a bad way. Yes, it needs to be advertised --- but don't think for a minutes it will last long --- I joined in 2010 and just heard vague rumblings about Robinson dolls --- as well as vague rumblings about some other artists..... Sad as it is to say, Tina will continue to be who she is and she will probably continue to cheat and steal until legally she is somehow stopped. But saying that does not mean that I feel her creations -- her dolls -- or the people who now own them should suffer by association. I am very sorry for all of your that lost money. This is just my opinion and I have not been hurt by Tina and yet can understand your anger at what she has done to you...but causing a financial loss to someone else isn't going to change what happened to you. JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
AnneXmedici

Post by AnneXmedici »

Quite possible there may be some of the newer ladies who may be unaware of Tinas dealings, but I would think that most of our long standing members would know now how Tina deals. It has been going on for years. I did a quick seach and found just some of the thread from DF regarding ladies who has been cheated out of their moneys.

From 2009

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f ... y#p1781143

And jumping all the way up until this last year

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f ... y#p3065718

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=kewy

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f ... y#p3020734

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=kewy

I as a collector have to make a choice: we all do. If I want to collect Kewy babies and risk loosing my money which also means that I indeed, down the chain, support Tina as a sculptor by lining her pockets trough buying from dealers whom has PAID TINA for the right to use her sculpts.
Or if I want to support the ladies: my fellow collectors: who has had heartache and who I should think feel a sense of betrayal every time a new sculpt is brought out. I and many many more collectors, will not with a good conscience, buy babies that has her name attached to it.

It is pr. date an informed choice: to reproduce/endorse/enable Tinas theft by buying her sculpts. Or choose not to.

So many people has lost their very hard earned money because in effect Tina stole them. And now dealers like Dana here and others will also stand to loose their money.

Again: it is Tinas blame NOT that of collectors. Also, as I asked before: how come dealers can get a hold of Tina while the collectors whom she owes what amounts to thousands over the years cannot????

I still think that the only way to stop her is to boycot her work IMO.

Whatever collectors choose it has to be up to them.
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

dana wrote:
NadiaK wrote:
Create A Baby~Tanya wrote:What I think is sad is for those of us that purchased osaks with rights to reproduce them for BIG $$$ and because she has ruined her rep people are saying they will never buy her kits again making it hard for those to want to reproduce the pre purchased ooaks they have had for year while they had made other kits first...

I still have some ooaks I purchased from Tina over 2 years ago with the intention of having them made into silicone and vinyl :(
You would probably be better off just selling them as ooaks. I think you would have a better chance of selling them this way. Anything that is reproduced now after everything has come out will be much more difficult to sell in my opinion.
I myself have OOaks from Tina that I plan to produce in silicone.. I had to pay for the production rights and for the sculpt .. I would NEVER get the money back out of what I paid .I paid for these items before I knew anything about Tina.. Yall may have posted on here but I have only been a part of the dolly world three years and two ( almost 3) on doll fan so by no means had I read all to know on doll fan when I bought the OOAKS . I don't think it is fair for anyone to expect me to throw thousands of dollars away for mistakes Tina made nor do I think my integrity should be questioned.
1. Tina has been paid by me so she no longer makes money on my sales..
2. I think my integrity speaks for it's self .. I pride myself on integrity .
3. I made special offers on my dolls to the ladies that I knew had been taken by Tina and I also donated $5,200 of the money I earned off of the sale of my silicones to
The March of Dimes in October.
4 At this point between the money I have donated and the money I have paid for the rights ,the sculpt, to have them mold and cast I am by NO means making big bucks... between the clothes, the fees , the rights, the sculpt, the mold and cast on a $3200 sale I brought home $700....... Yes $700 is a nice amount but nothing like the $3200 it looks like I am making ... Plus it takes a lot of hours to make these babies .
I understand all you ladies have a right to your opinion but I would appreciate my integrity not being questioned because I can not imagine any of you throwing away thousands of dollars just to prove a point . I totally understand if you do not want to buy my babies or say anything encouraging on my post ..that is your choice.
I know my name was not mentioned and I did appreciate it .. After reading all the post I just felt the need to justify myself.
Wonderful explanation Dana & so very true. Things aren't always what they "appear" to others. I admire, respect & appreciate you as an artist & as a dear friend. I will continue to support your work & will encourage others to do the same.

I'm sorry that Tina has caused so much pain, anxiety & financial loss to ladies here, but I'm a firm believer that she'll be punished for what she's done eventually.

Also...I agree 1000% with you Ruth. Causing pain & financial loss to other collectors won't hurt Tina. It will hurt our DF friends.
tracey427

Post by tracey427 »

Thank you Ruth for saying things the way you did. I adopted a GORGEOUs vinyl Gus Kewy at ROSE this year and I have been afraid to show him here. I'm also planning on adopting a silicone Gus from Dana...and I have kept it to myself for the same reason.

Ruth, you have given me courage to be able to say I own and will own these babies, I am sorry for everyone who has been burned by Tina but I refuse to be ashamed of my Gus and future Gus. Dana is such a kind and honest person and I wish more people could try to see both sides of the coin
Owner - Oma's Attic - Boutique Clothes At Oma's Prices
WithloveSteph

Post by WithloveSteph »

I never have bought one of her kits and don't think I will. I wont put out money and not have a guarantee to get what I am paying for. Not worth it, no matter how talented she is. I am cautious who I buy from, and if you do me wrong one time and I see how bad your customer service is with dealing with problems that arise, then I wouldn't buy from that person again.
With Love,
Stephanie
Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

Doll land doesn't begin & end on Doll fan, so a lot of people don't even have a clue about Tina Kewys ways. Very few people have the bottle to even mention anything against her, unless it's on here. I have explained it to people on FB more than once, one was definitely not happy to hear anything bad said lol
Although I think it's probably over for her now though. People will still want the kits that are already out there. The lady that sent me the kit to reborn for her in my siggy, is looking for another Kewy kit at the moment. She makes good kits & new collectors don't know or give a monkeys about the history tbh :(
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I think it is very important to separate Tina as a person you don't want to deal with under any circumstances and her art. She has done some remarkable art in the past and will in the future. People who have purchased from her directly AND actually gotten something were very pleased with the doll she produced. Other talented people through our history have been unstable or even hated and yet produced wonderful art. That art lives on after the awfulness of the artist has died with them. And then we admire the artist's accomplishments and forget about the artist. Tina's art will be like this -- her beautiful dolls will live on and be loved and cherished and Tina will be forgotten. She deserved to be because of what she has done to people. Yes, I know some of you have been hurt both emotionally and financially -- but I just cannot believe that the vendetta against Tina will actually affect her as much as it will affect the current owners of her dolls.... who are right her on DF. There is an old saying "Don't throw out the baby with the dirty bath water." That is just what I mean --- Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
AnneXmedici

Post by AnneXmedici »

Partly I disagree with you, Ruth. As long as dealers will continue to buy and sell new sculpts, Tinas pockets will be lined. Of course we are all free to purchase what we want. But many of us feels it is somewhat immoral to support an artists who will, given the chance, continue to take money and not deliver the items paid for. An arist who would possibly have been taken to court by some of the collectors if the artist had benn sitauated in the Us instead of in Greeze.

Every one of us has to do what our concience dicatates.

As for the tread I posted from 2009..... Well..... and wow.
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

AnneXmedici wrote: As for the tread I posted from 2009..... Well..... and wow.
I did go back and read the thread from 2009. Well..... and wow is right.
Hugs,
Nadia

Annette

Post by Annette »

I have a statement, and a question about all this.
First of all, most of the dealers/artists who are selling Kewy dolls/kits/babies, bought them before this latest "outing" of Tina and her tricks. Even though Tina's reputation for ripping people off, is well-known. They have paid for the items, and have reproduced some in kits and some in silicones.
I see no problem in buying from these people. It is when a person tries to buy directly from Tina, that the problems start. So I think that, not buying from these dealers and artists, is just damaging them, and not Tina. She is going on her merry way, having received payments from all these dealers and artists. By not buying from the dealers and artists, it is not affecting Tina one little bit.

Now, my question......do the dealers and artists who bought OOAKS, to have them reproduced in either kits or silicones, have to pay royalties to Tina? If they don't, then I don't see any problem with buying from them, as the funds go directly to the dealers and artists. But, if they have to send funds to Tina when they sell one of her creations, then, I can understand people not wanting to buy them.
If, on the other hand, buyers are just not buying, simply because the name "Tina Kewy" is associated with an item, then they aren't going to buy anything from anyone, regardless who is selling.
Just my opinion. :)
Hugs Annette
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

cookielover wrote:I think it is very important to separate Tina as a person you don't want to deal with under any circumstances and her art. She has done some remarkable art in the past and will in the future. People who have purchased from her directly AND actually gotten something were very pleased with the doll she produced. Other talented people through our history have been unstable or even hated and yet produced wonderful art. That art lives on after the awfulness of the artist has died with them. And then we admire the artist's accomplishments and forget about the artist. Tina's art will be like this -- her beautiful dolls will live on and be loved and cherished and Tina will be forgotten. She deserved to be because of what she has done to people. Yes, I know some of you have been hurt both emotionally and financially -- but I just cannot believe that the vendetta against Tina will actually affect her as much as it will affect the current owners of her dolls.... who are right her on DF. There is an old saying "Don't throw out the baby with the dirty bath water." That is just what I mean --- Ruth

I hope to meet you in person one day Ruth. You are a very wise woman. :hug:
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

tracey427 wrote:Thank you Ruth for saying things the way you did. I adopted a GORGEOUs vinyl Gus Kewy at ROSE this year and I have been afraid to show him here. I'm also planning on adopting a silicone Gus from Dana...and I have kept it to myself for the same reason.

Ruth, you have given me courage to be able to say I own and will own these babies, I am sorry for everyone who has been burned by Tina but I refuse to be ashamed of my Gus and future Gus. Dana is such a kind and honest person and I wish more people could try to see both sides of the coin
You shouldn't be ashamed of your doll, your doll didn't scam anyone. I'm not ashamed to say that I like my Freya even while she's still in the bag!

You all have posed a good point, that not buying from people like Dana who reproduce Tina's sculpts is damaging them and not Tina. I partly agree, besides the fact that I would buy from Dana but at the moment she is not losing a customer in me, because I'm not on the market for a silicone doll.
The part who doesn't agree is the one who remembers the story of Tasha Edenholm. Tasha went on to scam several people out of their money, disappeared for a while, and now is selling full body silicones she makes through dealers and doll stores. I'm not sure she was much damaged by the people who said they wouldn't buy anything from her, since she sells through a dealer people feel comfortable buying because if anything happens it's the dealer who will be burned.
What if Tina does the same and starts selling her sculpts for reproduction? How many people (not you Dana and Tanya of course) will be able in the future to say they didn't know who they were buying from?
dana

Post by dana »

Annette wrote:I have a statement, and a question about all this.
First of all, most of the dealers/artists who are selling Kewy dolls/kits/babies, bought them before this latest "outing" of Tina and her tricks. Even though Tina's reputation for ripping people off, is well-known. They have paid for the items, and have reproduced some in kits and some in silicones.
I see no problem in buying from these people. It is when a person tries to buy directly from Tina, that the problems start. So I think that, not buying from these dealers and artists, is just damaging them, and not Tina. She is going on her merry way, having received payments from all these dealers and artists. By not buying from the dealers and artists, it is not affecting Tina one little bit.

Now, my question......do the dealers and artists who bought OOAKS, to have them reproduced in either kits or silicones, have to pay royalties to Tina? If they don't, then I don't see any problem with buying from them, as the funds go directly to the dealers and artists. But, if they have to send funds to Tina when they sell one of her creations, then, I can understand people not wanting to buy them.
I bought the production rights from Tina to produce the dolls I am producing so I gave her a lump sum ...she makes nothing off my sales and from my understanding this is how she does with everyone.
But I bought the rights to several of my favorite sculpts that she sculpted so I still have a few to produce . I bought one OOAK from Tina but it was sculpted two years ago . I plan to make it a full body in the future. It came broken so right now it is on hold till it can be repaired ...but ALL of the other doll I have had produced were bought from the ladies on Doll Fan so Tina didnt receive money for them but I did pay her for the rights. When I bought the rights I also bought the rights to make some of the closed eyes to open eyes so that doubled

If, on the other hand, buyers are just not buying, simply because the name "Tina Kewy" is associated with an item, then they aren't going to buy anything from anyone, regardless who is selling.
Just my opinion. :)

lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

It's the future kits that's the problem. I don't think it's right to penalize current sculpt owners, dealers and private sellers but if Tina comes out with a other sculpt and expects people to buy it well that is what I have a problem with. It's Tina, the artist herself that needs to be boycotted. Not kits that are already produced or ones that will be produced by OOAK's that were bought some time ago(Like in Dana's circumstance). But if a dealer buys a OOAK from her NOW to produce? Then they are on their own IMO.
ColorbyCarina

Post by ColorbyCarina »

cookielover wrote:I have never owned a Kewy baby...but have admired them. I agree from reading this post that Tina is a person who is not to be trusted. Don't buy from her unless you are willing to never see the doll or the money again. I agree with all that BUT ....... boycotting Tina is not the same as boycotting dolls that have already been sold to collectors or dolls that were purchased with the rights to reproduce them at a later date. I know that the dolls will carry the Kewy name and thus give her advertising.... but I keep thinking that if a woman or man go to jail for fraud or stealing or murder --- do we punish their children or parents also. That's the way I feel about the dolls who are in collections and were purchased in good faith and many times on the secondary market..... why should the people who purchased the dolls be tarred with the same broad brush that is painting Tina in such a bad way. Yes, it needs to be advertised --- but don't think for a minutes it will last long --- I joined in 2010 and just heard vague rumblings about Robinson dolls --- as well as vague rumblings about some other artists..... Sad as it is to say, Tina will continue to be who she is and she will probably continue to cheat and steal until legally she is somehow stopped. But saying that does not mean that I feel her creations -- her dolls -- or the people who now own them should suffer by association. I am very sorry for all of your that lost money. This is just my opinion and I have not been hurt by Tina and yet can understand your anger at what she has done to you...but causing a financial loss to someone else isn't going to change what happened to you. JMO Ruth
Thank you Ruth. I couldnt agree more. I have a custom David in the works who I am THRILLED over, but I almost dont want to bother posting his pics here. Not everyone knew about Tina's history. Reading every df post isnt everyone's priority- so before some people start boycotting every Kewy baby posted here, please keep that in mind.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Royal Ascot Reborns Caz wrote:Doll land doesn't begin & end on Doll fan, so a lot of people don't even have a clue about Tina Kewys ways. Very few people have the bottle to even mention anything against her, unless it's on here. I have explained it to people on FB more than once, one was definitely not happy to hear anything bad said lol
Although I think it's probably over for her now though. People will still want the kits that are already out there. The lady that sent me the kit to reborn for her in my siggy, is looking for another Kewy kit at the moment. She makes good kits & new collectors don't know or give a monkeys about the history tbh :(

Reread the above if you think any kind of a boycott is going to work in the long run. Generally speaking people have short attention spans and shorter memories...and if they want something they can easily convince themselves it is okay. Each of us has to make their own decision about buying a Kewy. Just as each of us has to make decisions about buying lots of things that are produced under conditions we don't know about, or don't care about, or whatever -- think sweat shops here that make our clothes etc. There are probably many, many things that are for sale in our hobby that if we knew the how, when, where, and why about them we would be outraged. I am not defending Tina in any way -- I am giving my opinion on the actual impact a boycott will have ---I think the answer is none that will really impact Tina --- hard to swallow but that's my opinion. Each of us has to make our own decisions -- and I really wish there could be an impact on Tina -- but also believe that that is not going to happen. She is who she is....sad to say. She will continue on her way through life causing anger, sadness, negativity -- pity her and her family -- no amount of stolen money has change her and your anger will not either. She can only do that herself. She hasn't hurt me so I can say this and hope some of you will understand.... don't give her any more attention -- don't waste your time hating her -- give your time and energy to something you CAN impact whatever that may be. Remember this is a hobby. We choose to buy dolls. We have the excess money to indulge ourselves.... others are not so fortunate. Give those not so fortunate people your time and energy.... JMO Ruth
Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa

Post by Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa »

Boy. I have not thought is Tina in quite some time. If you read my other post you can understand why. If my life was not topsy turvy life the past year I would be filing every single fraud form I could find...I would have a Facebook page gathering up names of all those stolen from...I would bump and post all over. I had every intention of seeing how far I could take it.
I just can not right now. Maybe someday soon but dolls are Wayyyy down on my priority list for now.

I have always.said that if you already own her dolls and kits you should enjoy them. I myself have Tina kits and i certainly don't want to throw them in the garbage. People have been paid for before Tina got majorly exposed here and on facebook....she has been doing this for years but her latest hijinks are the largest of her thefts to date.
Dana you are a lovely lady and I feel for you. The donation you made was a generous action and I hope good karma comes your way.

I feel for dealers who have bought sculpts to reproduce; I have been a dealer and know what it's like to have problems regarding kits. But if you can sell your OO AK for what you have made then that should be considered. You would not be losing money if you could recoup your investment. I bet there is a market for them seeing as though it's likely she might never be selling again... It would be a shame to make kits and no one buys. But that is the fault of TINA and not those who spread the word on what she has done. You can consider yourself a victim of TINA and not the buzz about town on her shameless thievery. I do feel very badly about that but I will never feel bad about making people aware. This woman has been no good since I joined dollfan in 2001.

I think it is a shame that so many people are in the dark about tina...it leaves a crack in the door for her to weasel her way back in and peddle her wares. Tina did not take me for much. But I have seen the hundreds of people who have been screwed by this woman and it makes me so angry. I hate injustice and I felt that this was one cause I could actually do something about.

I have sold most of my kits by Tina. Honestly I think most of her sculpts look the same. No new creativity put into her work. That's just my opinion. I do have a couple I love...Wide Eyed Wonder. Sigh. I have two of those kits and i just love that face. I also have Finn...I love Finn.
what a shame...poor Gina...Nonies Angels. She is practically giving those Finn kits away.
I hope this is the last seen of Tina. She will never be able to repay all she's stolen. She ruined herself and I have not one iota of pity. Yes...things come up and mistakes happen in business. Been there myself. But what she has done has been done so maliciously. She has no morals.