I'm not happy with Harper and Tate

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Marita Winters

Re: I'm not happy with Harper and Tate

Post by Marita Winters »

Unless the original sculpt and mold both break, there is always the possibility to make replacement parts. Yes, it may cost the artist money to do it, but in the end, if it is a manufacturing issue it really is worth it to give replacements. There are times when a "problem" might just be the sculpt itself (such as hands too small) so this issue cannot be resolved without totally sculpting a new doll. Most artists would not replace for this issue since the person who purchases the kit hopefully looked over the sculpt and vinyl photos before ordering, and hopefully had clear enough photos to see a proportion problem. The bubbles in the vinyl is a manufacturing issue and the manufacturer SHOULD (in my opinion) replace these pieces for free, but some will not. Many times it is a problem with the mold. The manufacturer can just make a new mold of that part. It all just depends upon how much the artist wants to insist on a clean kit.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

I just want to say I got one of Marita's kits with a split in the head, I wrote her and she sent a new head right away, no hassle or problem at all. Thank you Marita! :foryou:
NOLA
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Marita you are so right. Never had a problem with your kits and your customer service to me has always been impeccable. :foryou: :foryou:

I haven't seen pictures of the vinyl parts for these two kits, only staged OOAK photos.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

NOLA wrote:I just want to say I got one of Marita's kits with a split in the head, I wrote her and she sent a new head right away, no hassle or problem at all. Thank you Marita! :foryou:
Marita is by far the sweetest artist I have ever met! She cares about her customers with all her heart! She is real.....She treats everyone the same!
Marita Winters

Post by Marita Winters »

Thank you ladies. I really didn't mean to make this about me. I think most artists want to do the right thing. I just wanted to let you know, as an artist, it IS possible to get replacement parts in most cases.
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

Marita Winters wrote:Thank you ladies. I really didn't mean to make this about me. I think most artists want to do the right thing. I just wanted to let you know, as an artist, it IS possible to get replacement parts in most cases.

But you ARE a sweet precious lady! :foryou: :foryou: :foryou:
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

I'd agree with that :foryou:
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Since some of you mentioned Ofelia the one I am working on now(my only kit) has terrible bubbles. One on the ear, one small one on the lip and one down hidden on the flange. None on the limbs as far as I can tell. Fortunately they didn't burst during baking but still. First time I have ever had issues with an Auer kit.
Suebee_Lullaby Lane

Post by Suebee_Lullaby Lane »

Oh my gosh, on the Ofelia kits!! I still have two left (have already done two with no issues at all). I better go have a good look at them now. I was shocked to see so many others had issues with their Ofelia kits as I have never had an issue with any of Olga's kits.
KekeLeo

Post by KekeLeo »

Elisabettas Babies wrote:
KekeLeo wrote:
Ginny W wrote:
erin1958 wrote:If ask for a refund. I wouldn't start doing anything to the vinyl. You shouldn't have to.

Good luck trying to get a refund now days. If you tell some of the artists that the parts you got are defective they either tell you to deal with it , no replacements available or say sorry the flaw is in all the parts so no refunds or replacements. I think people if they are wanting to keep charging these ridiculous prices right now for a kit they need to make sure the parts are better than what we are getting.

That is the exact reply that I got for my Ofelia, I was told there were no replacment parts and the flaw was in all the kits. Sorry this happened.
What kind of flaw did your Ofelia have? My friend in Italy reborned three Ofelias and said that one had a split in a leg. She got the same answer as you (no replacement parts) and had to buy a fourth kit for her customer, and keep the defective one. What bugs me is that a refund was never offered.
She has a small hole in the neck. I was told it should not affect the integrity of the doll and that I should reborn it as is. I was also offered a neck ring from BB. I boxed her back up and I have her in my closet untouched.
My childhood may be over, but that doesn’t mean playtime is.
Ron Olson
Elisabettas Babies

Well, small consolation I'll tell my friend she's not alone... :(

I noticed that my Harper and Tate's vinyl is so thin in the leg creases that it's translucent... even without a light shone through... I'm worried it might not resist even though I use air dry acrylics to reborn. Has anybody else noticed that?
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

Suebee_Lullaby Lane wrote:Oh my gosh, on the Ofelia kits!! I still have two left (have already done two with no issues at all). I better go have a good look at them now. I was shocked to see so many others had issues with their Ofelia kits as I have never had an issue with any of Olga's kits.
Well, here's hoping you have no issues at all with your other Ofelias Sue. I love the one you did a couple weeks ago.
Yes I was surprised cause Olga's kits are always such a dream to reborn. In fact I always compare(in my head) other kit's vinyl to Olga's kit's vinyl cause so far hers have been some of the most delicious kits I have ever had the pleasure of working on. Ofelia's vinyl seems different somehow though, idk, softer and slightly darker kinda, so maybe a different formulation that she normally uses?? :dunno: Her kits are always awesome otherwise and these bubbles on her head didn't burst and they are barely noticeable so I can't really complain too much. We'll just call it an "Ofelia quirk". :lol: :wink:

For those with these new Arcello kits I think as others have suggested sanding them will work fine. Just use very fine sandpaper and you should be good to go. In my experience I have sanded kits before using 260-320 grit to reshape some features I wanted changed(Once on a Reece kit as a matter of fact) so I am sure you ladies can smooth the skin down just fine and your kits will totally be usable. I agree with and appreciate artists like Marita though and wish more artists were like her and Shawna Clymer and others(Shawna is also another one that generously supplies replacement parts if needed)

Good luck to everyone with these rough vinyl issues. I know it is a total pain and a let down to spend all that cash and have a less-than-perfect product to work with from the get-go.
jacque123

Post by jacque123 »

One arm on my kit has same flaw. I think I will make it into a strawberry mark
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Marita Winters wrote:Thank you ladies. I really didn't mean to make this about me. I think most artists want to do the right thing. I just wanted to let you know, as an artist, it IS possible to get replacement parts in most cases.

Thank you Marita! I have always had excetional service from you :heart: Not only that but you tend to interact with us all, too. (my apologies for making that grammatically sound so bad, my mind is tired). The information you share with us is appreciated and invaluable. :heart: :heart:

Hugs,
Catherine
Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

A good friend just messaged me with this fix for the kits. I hope this helps!

"I did a Tate and know many that did the first 50 kits. The rough patches are in all the kits so are likely in the master mold. I know they should not have to repair damages on a kit especially at that cost but for anyone left not being able to get a refund and an exchange is pointless there is a fix that will make the marks completely smooth and costs about 6 bucks. I smoothed mine out. If they take a cotton ball and load it(not dripping) with GOOF OFF, not goo gone and wipe the rough patch with a little pressure it will smooth the area. It will leave the area a little slick but after a few layers of paint the shine will fade. The photos attached are my arms after this process."
Aliceintheozarks

Post by Aliceintheozarks »

After reading everything I decided to get out of bed and check my Harper. I found just a slight rough part on only one arm but I think I can work with it. I did notice that near the ankles the vinyl seemed thinner...checking the head I noticed it being on the hard side but I root with a heated rice bag. I had checked it when I got it but thought I might have missed something. Thanks for the heads up.. :D
Elisabettas Babies

Sally - USA wrote:A good friend just messaged me with this fix for the kits. I hope this helps!

"I did a Tate and know many that did the first 50 kits. The rough patches are in all the kits so are likely in the master mold. I know they should not have to repair damages on a kit especially at that cost but for anyone left not being able to get a refund and an exchange is pointless there is a fix that will make the marks completely smooth and costs about 6 bucks. I smoothed mine out. If they take a cotton ball and load it(not dripping) with GOOF OFF, not goo gone and wipe the rough patch with a little pressure it will smooth the area. It will leave the area a little slick but after a few layers of paint the shine will fade. The photos attached are my arms after this process."
Thanks Sally!
LDC at DollDreams

Post by LDC at DollDreams »

I know many production companies taking on too many customers and it shows on the products being rushed.
The two companies we work with, only one will replace factory mistakes. No matter where they done it is the same problem.

It is such a headache, most people have no idea.

I also noticed one artist is now producing in China, what is so much less costly than Germany, but her doll kit went up $20.00
All I can say is WoW..
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

Lately some of the Chinese made vinyl has been way better than the German made vinyl parts. German vinyl is so hard to make work with Genesis paints and starts turning shiny after the first bake with Genesis. I have had less defects also with the Chinese made kits as well so I do agree Germany is taking on more than they should and the quality is going down hill.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
Visit all her photo album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/ginny.westley/ ... 317&type=3
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

We are paying a lot of money for these kits and we should get PERFECT kits, all damaged parts should be
replaced without any charge. If they are selling kits with fault they should not charge full price, and give
a refund, thats the decent thing to do.

I would boycot in the future any artist that sold an imperfect kit to me.