The future of reborning....

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Mark_Haysman

The future of reborning....

Post by Mark_Haysman »

...not just the next few years, but say 50 or 100 years hence?

I've just been watching the Stephen Spielberg film "A.I.". If you've never seen it, I'd recommend watching it, at least the first half. It's set in the future where robotics have reached the point where they can create a human child with real emotions, that is indistinguishable from the real thing.

Is this what will become of our "hobby"? Right now, our reborns are realistic to look at, and to hold - but what happens when robotics catches up, and that world intertwines with ours. Will we interact the same way towards these new "interactive" reborns as David and his "mummy"? What will our reaction be when our reborn hugs us back, and tells you they love you - in a meaningful believable way, not just parroted words like a doll with a drawstring. Very interesting to watch, and some of the story lines are very poignant, like where she puts him in a cupboard to get him out of the way, and her mixed emotions when putting him to bed, knowing he's artificial.

Just my own thoughts on it, not sure if anyone else sees it that way.

Mark.
georgeanne

Re: The future of reborning....

Post by georgeanne »

I did see the movie Mark and thought it was very good and interesting. I haven't really given much thought about reborns becoming A.I. I don't think I would be able to afford one if they were to go in that direction but unless I live to be ancient I won't have to think about dolls 100 years from now. :lol:

Not sure how I would feel about a child that was robotic, it's an interesting topic that is for sure. I do know that lots and lots of people can make babies, but being a parent is truly awesome and children are such a wonderful gift. Whether your children are natural or adopted not everyone can be a parent.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
chelluvsbabies

Post by chelluvsbabies »

Hi Mark! I love that movie! Very interesting indeed Georgeanne. Does make you think of what may be in store for us in the future, as far as our dolls are concerned.
HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

Interesting question. As far as dolls have come since I started collecting them in 1981...not just reborns, you understand, dolls in general...I can't imagine what they would be 100 years from now. Considering what they are doing with automation in the movies and those amazing androids in Japan, certainly AI dolls is not a stretch.
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies
RedBilled

Post by RedBilled »

Sounds fun. Problem is I'm a techie. I'd pull it apart, reprogram it, customize it, add accessories, etc.

It would be a lot of fun for me, but I'd manage to end up with a 30" monster with a chainsaw running around the house.

Hi, my name's Chucky, wanna play? :lol:

On second thoughts, maybe I'll just stick with weighted vinyl. Safer for everyone. And more cuddly too.