What is with the wet hair??

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
jenlovesdolls

What is with the wet hair??

Post by jenlovesdolls »

I am really curious about this.
WHY do artists always show babies with wet hair?
I mean, I get it that it looks nicer/lays flat when wet, but it isn't like we are going to keep the hair wet 24/7! Heck, it won't even stay wet for 5 minutes, so what is the point?!
I want to see what the hair is going to look like all the time, not WET!
Also, how are we to know what the hair really looks like if every picture it is wet?!
amandasbabies

Re: What is with the wet hair??

Post by amandasbabies »

I noticed that too. The only thing I can think of is, I know some babies can get oily hair when they are newborn. My own children never did because I bathed them every other day. But I know babies do get greasy heads.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

amandasbabies wrote:I noticed that too. The only thing I can think of is, I know some babies can get oily hair when they are newborn. My own children never did because I bathed them every other day. But I know babies do get greasy heads.
Yeah but dolls don't, and it isn't like we are going to keep wetting the hair to keep that look either...I just don't get it :dunno:
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I use Downy water to calm it and style it, but then I let it dry to show it. Sometimes there may be a damp head picture, but most will be dry. However, sometimes with the Downy water, it acts like styling gel and leaves it "looking" damp or wet when it really isn't.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

Debbie wrote:I use Downy water to calm it and style it, but then I let it dry to show it. Sometimes there may be a damp head picture, but most will be dry. However, sometimes with the Downy water, it acts like styling gel and leaves it "looking" damp or wet when it really isn't.
Ok that makes sense for some of the dolls I see where the hair looks a bit damp, but I have seen tons of dolls hair that look soaking wet!
Traci

Post by Traci »

If ALL of the pics show wet hair my feeling is that the mohair is probably frizzy when dry.
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Traci wrote:If ALL of the pics show wet hair my feeling is that the mohair is probably frizzy when dry.
Yep this is my thought too.
mandyuk

Post by mandyuk »

Mine is wet in a lot of pictures due to the fact when I'm doing photo shoots and changing the baby I end up messing it up so I spray and brush it for the next pictures. No other reason than that.
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

I used to wet it constantly in every picture I ever did when I first started making dolls only because I thought that best showed my rooting. I got a message once on ebay from a nice lady asking if I could please show the babies with dry hair too and I have done dry hair pics ever since. I usually wet it down the night before a photoshoot and style it so it is ready then I fluff it up when I am ready to take pics and then during the shoot I spritz lightly as necessary cause I always mess it up when I'm changing the outfits from one set of pics to the next. I love the locks that wetting the hair gives it but I don't like the wet feel and look so as long as I let it dry overnight it's all good.
christineskeepsakebabies

Post by christineskeepsakebabies »

When i let the hair dry, in the style I put it in, it does look silkier and also won't mes up as easily. If I brush it out,after it dries, and if it is super fine babymohair, it messes up and is aggravating to have to constantly fix.
I love styling it wet,because it takes out any kinks in the hair (NOT frizz, but those kinks it gets from laying the wrong way) and gets it re-styled back the way it should be. It makes for faster hair style during the photo shoot. But I always try to get some "dry hair" photos too. Here, my doll is shown with her hair styled wet,then left to dry that way and it not brushed out.

Royal Ascot Reborns Caz

Post by Royal Ascot Reborns Caz »

You can buy wet look spray for the reborns if someone wanted the just born look all the time.
TinyTimms_Doris

Post by TinyTimms_Doris »

Suzanne wrote:
Traci wrote:If ALL of the pics show wet hair my feeling is that the mohair is probably frizzy when dry.
Yep this is my thought too.
That is exactly what I think when I see that! One picture I get but when they are all like that :dunno:
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

christineskeepsakebabies wrote:When i let the hair dry, in the style I put it in, it does look silkier and also won't mes up as easily. If I brush it out,after it dries, and if it is super fine babymohair, it messes up and is aggravating to have to constantly fix.
I love styling it wet,because it takes out any kinks in the hair (NOT frizz, but those kinks it gets from laying the wrong way) and gets it re-styled back the way it should be. It makes for faster hair style during the photo shoot. But I always try to get some "dry hair" photos too. Here, my doll is shown with her hair styled wet,then left to dry that way and it not brushed out.

I have a doll here that I have changed a few times, and even removed her head to add some weight and the hair looks as perfect as the day I got her! Actually, even right out of the box when I got her, being wrapped up etc, her hair looked perfect :shock:
I have never wet it, or even brushed it. I guess it just depends on how it is rooted?
If I try to mess it up it just lays back where it was.
Silvia

Post by Silvia »

jenlovesdolls wrote:
I have a doll here that I have changed a few times, and even removed her head to add some weight and the hair looks as perfect as the day I got her! Actually, even right out of the box when I got her, being wrapped up etc, her hair looked perfect :shock:
I have never wet it, or even brushed it. I guess it just depends on how it is rooted?
This happends to me with Delta Dawn and alpaca, I don't have to style the hair during the photos session and it stays always in place, no matter how much I turn the head to the baby or change clothes.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

Silvia wrote:
jenlovesdolls wrote:
This happends to me with Delta Dawn and alpaca, I don't have to style the hair during the photos session and it stays always in place, no matter how much I turn the head to the baby or change clothes.
That is good to know Silvia!! The description from the auction just says she used "high quality mohair" maybe one of those is what she used.
Her hair just stays perfect no matter what, I LOVE it!!
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I definitely want to see the hair dry too..................so I know what it will look like when I get her home...............Hugs,Kathy
christineskeepsakebabies

Post by christineskeepsakebabies »

I olny use high quality mohair. Mainly susan N. , delta dawn, slumberland and a few others. It is only the "baby fine" mohair that gives me a hard time not staying "perfect" but the semi-yearling and yearling hair that usually stays "perfect" .
Jolee

Post by Jolee »

I don't mind a photo of the baby with wet hair so I can see if the rooting is nice or if it's pluggy. However, when it's one photo after the other, I start to think that they're hiding something.
tinytoes

Post by tinytoes »

mandyuk wrote:Mine is wet in a lot of pictures due to the fact when I'm doing photo shoots and changing the baby I end up messing it up so I spray and brush it for the next pictures. No other reason than that.
same here