I'm Not the Happiest Mama

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
lauren_211

I'm Not the Happiest Mama

Post by lauren_211 »

Well, I don't know if some of you know already but I had purchased a custom toddler for Christmas.....

I'll just tel you the whole story so you won;t be confused:

Around October I had decided to start thinking of a Christmas baby that I would like. I had been looking at different sculpts and decided on the Katie Marie toddler by Ann Timmerman. I had decided to get a custom since I wasn't thrilled about the ones on eBay or Etsy. Here is a picture of the toddler I was looking at and really liked.

I completely understand that no two reborns will ever be the same, but what I got was NOTHING like I had expected...

Here is the finished doll that I received:

She looks absolutely beautiful and I love her to bits... but I had expected a little ore than this....

She did not come with eye lashes and the artist claimed that they were "drying" in the pictures she sent us so that's why we didn't see them :roll: When I received Emi, there were no eyelashes... not any where. She said that they probably fell off in the box... umm.... there were no eyelashes in the box nor on any of the items she came with. I was like, ok i guess I will get them fixed in the future, but then I noticed that there were no eye brows either... SERIOUSLY!? :banghead: The more I look at her the more I wish she had them both but that still doesn't change my love for her. Anyways, Then I noticed that her lips were peeling... Ok, I was pretty hot then. 1. Her lips were supposed to be sealed, 2. Her lips were peeling and if they were "sealed" they wouldn't do so, and 3. Her teeth are flesh colored because of it. I have had Olivia for a little over a year now and her lips are perfectly fine. Not one crumb of her lips have peeled. That's because her artist SEALED her lips. Not to mention that I ALWAYS have a paci in Olivia's mouth. The next thing I noticed was the bald spot in the back of her head. Again.. She says that it's supposed to be her swirl... are swirls supposed to be balled????? The last thing I noticed was that she doesn't sit up which I specifically told her that I would like. I specifically said that I would like her to be able to sit up... not her head to fall over. There were some financial issues also:

She was supposed to be $550 shipped... she charged us an extra $50 shipping...
When I got her(the day before Christmas :roll: ) I saw all her imperfections and I was really upset.
We contacted her about this and she said she would fix her and pay shipping both ways.
It has now been about 3 weeks since we settled up that and she will not respond to my moms texts.
My mom mentioned to me that we could contact paypal about this and the credit card company, but either way I would probably end up loosing her :cry:
Also, we would loose some of our money :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'm EXTREMELY upset about this and I don't know what to do :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PLEASE help me!

I'm also very sorry about the rant but I just had to tell you gals.
I need to feel understood right now :cry:
Lainey

Re: I'm Not the Happiest Mama

Post by Lainey »

Lauren, I just sent you a PM. :hug:
HUGS, LAINEY
[image]11057[/image]
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

Lauren how heart breaking that you didn't get the baby you thought you were getting..
I know you love her as she is..but, it isn't fair that this artist is getting away with this.
You did not get what you paid for. I think if it was me I would put in a paypal claim
so you can recoup your money...she would never sell for you like this should you have
to sell her. I would just try and get my money back...send the doll back, and then
buy another Katie Marie... This is just MHO. You have to do what is best for you.
Hugs Linda
Tina

Post by Tina »

I am so sorry this happened to you but I must say the baby you received looks nothing like the one in the picture, I hope you can get some sort of resolution for this.
lauren_211

Post by lauren_211 »

Thanks everyone.

I have really thought about it and I think I'm just gonna send her back, get my money back, and get a better one.

I've never had something like this happen to me and I really appreciate all the support
BrendasDollBabies

Post by BrendasDollBabies »

So sorry you're going through this. I'd be very upset as well. Best of luck to you and I hope you get this resolved quickly.
Annette

Post by Annette »

I'm so sorry you've been disappointed in your custom toddler. She definitely doesn't look anything like the example you showed. :(.
Did the "artist" send you progress photos? Where did you find her?
If I were you, I'd make a Paypal claim right away, and send her back. And who was the "artist" you got her from?
Hugs Annette
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Yep~~If you are not happy now you will be less happy with her as time goes on and you see well done toddlers.

File a claim and send her back with tracking and a signature required upon delivery.

That is not ok. :?
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

That doll looks NOTHING like the photo, and I don't think it has to do with no two dolls are exactly alike either.
I think it might be a matter of the artist maybe didn't use her own photos of the example doll :?:
I would send her back, the doll you got looks like a play doll IMO
LDC at DollDreams

Post by LDC at DollDreams »

jenlovesdolls wrote:That doll looks NOTHING like the photo, and I don't think it has to do with no two dolls are exactly alike either.
I think it might be a matter of the artist maybe didn't use her own photos of the example doll :?:
I would send her back, the doll you got looks like a play doll IMO
I agree totally!

You did not buy the doll from Anna? right? Because she is making good reborn dolls. I have seen many beautiful Katie Maries on E-bay.
The best way google " Katie Marie by Ann Timmerman" and you will find so many. Most of the time it will lead you to the reborn artist.

http://store.dolldreams.net/267-Katie-M ... _p_945.htm

Hugs, Linda
lifesabeachbabyKim

Post by lifesabeachbabyKim »

I'm not sure how you found this artist but did you see her previous work and ask her what paint and processes she uses? Because in all honesty that baby doesn't looks like she was painted at all other than her peeling lip color. Bet you wish you had just bought one from ebay right? I have seen some really cute ones that are very reasonably priced so I would shop for a while and I am sure the right one will come along. And next time, if you have a custom made make sure you check out the artist's previous work because someone doesn't do great work then all of a sudden do shoddy work like your doll so check them out real well first, ask for pictures of other toddlers they have done(clear close ups), ask for references(talk to previous customers) and good luck! :) $550 is a lot of money for such a non-reborned doll. Along with the other issues it doesn't even look like her hair was rooted fully like her hairline is too far back. :dunno:
Crystal-caelinsmomma

Post by Crystal-caelinsmomma »

She doesn't look like the photo that you had requested, I agree. It is probably best to return her and find an artist that will work with you to get what you want.

Best of luck!
Crystal
TheOriginalBecca

Post by TheOriginalBecca »

Yes, I would definitely send her back and get a refund. I had a bad experience with my Christmas baby, too...I was very sad, especially since it was done by a rather well known artist. It was a resell, but the baby had not been altered in any way... she took great photos...people couldn't believe she wasn't real...but in person she looked gray. With a heavy heart I sent her back and got a refund.
JodyS86

Post by JodyS86 »

Wow I can't believe someone would send a doll to a customer like this! I would never imagine sending any custom baby of mine to a customer that isn't absolutely perfect and approved of by the mommy via many photos, etc. What artist is this? I would definitely send her back ASAP and file a claim right away! She looks nothing like the reference photo. Sorry this happened to you, no wonder people are so hesitant to purchase custom order dolls these days, these artists just make it harder for people to trust us reputable artists, it is sad!
LDC at DollDreams

Post by LDC at DollDreams »

Who sold this doll , what a waste of a nice kit.

Linda
Laurax

Post by Laurax »

I am familiar with this artist. Yikes.
Janinetjies

Post by Janinetjies »

I too am familiar with this artist, I am sorry this happened to you. It certainly looks like a very rushed job, which is the case with a lot of dolls I am seeing nowadays (and not just from the person!). People are too concerned with the quick buck they'll make off an unsuspecting person to take their time (sometimes subconsciously) . I also firmly believe this is why we need to be honest with fellow artists, because leading them to believe they are fantastic at something, does not entice them to improve.
Sally - USA

Post by Sally - USA »

Sometimes we look for reborn dolls to fit OUR budget and then get disappointed because the doll doesn't look like we had hoped.
However, since this artist said she had done eyelashes and they were not anywhere to be found, that makes things a bit different.

This particular artist ..... isn't as good as she thinks she is.

Nancy Wheeler does beautiful toddlers and she sends lovely clothing too. She would be worth saving up to buy from. (Just a suggestion.)
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

Lauren, I am also very familiar with Nancy Wheeler's work and she does a beautiful job. She is certainly very trustworthy as well. You couldn't go wrong with a baby reborned by her. :hug:
HUGS, LAINEY
[image]11057[/image]