Paypal and over 45 days?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
SeabeesWife10Tanya

Paypal and over 45 days?

Post by SeabeesWife10Tanya »

I am getting a custom baby done but the lady making her says it could take up to 12 weeks to finish her and she lives in England so could take a while for shipping also...she wants 50% of the money up front and the other 50% when the doll is done but with it taking so long will paypal still cover it if she decides to not send the doll? She seems like a very nice person but I really don't want to take any chances
dianareed

Re: Paypal and over 45 days?

Post by dianareed »

I was scammed by a reborn artist. I ordered my babies in May of 2014, and didn't have anything by Oct. I contacted Etsy, PayPal and my CC provider. PayPal was very sympathetic and told me that my CC provider will need to contact them. Within 15 minutes of my reporting her, she refunded my money in full. So, PayPal will work with you. Just make sure you have all communication with the seller documented. Good Luck!!
CaliforniaMel

Post by CaliforniaMel »

I hate to say this, because she may be a wonderful artist and she may be 100% reputable. BUT I couldn't hack the worrying for 12 weeks, with my money up in the air. I would (personally) move along to a different artist. I am not saying this is what you should do, it's just what I would do. I know myself and this would make me way too nervous.
Image[/URL]
AnneXmedici

Post by AnneXmedici »

The only way you would be covered, I believe, is if you link your Paypal account to your Mastercard instead of your Visa. That would mean coverage from Mastercard instead of from Paypal and you will have much longer time to complain than you have trough PP.
Other than that I have to say I have never been cheated by any of the wonderful artists or dealers that I have dealt with, and I have had dolls for up to a year layaway. Layaways from the UK, from Korea, Germany, the US etc. Maybe I have been lucky, though :heart:
SeabeesWife10Tanya

How do other sellers do it? I understand her wanting half the money up front (for the kit and supplies) but how can it be done so I am protected? I am trying to think of a way to bring it up to her without hurting her feelings because she seems very sweet and even offered me a discount so I don't want to seem untrusting or ungrateful but I also don't want to get ripped off again
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

Would paypal even cover you for a custom??? Unless the rules have changed customs were not covered iirc.

Jo in the UK
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I can tell you a story about a nightmare custom baby! So can Pam and Nadine who have yet to receive their dolls and they were paid in full! :(
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

Oh no...I paid IN FULL for a custom almost 2 months ago.
I haven't gotten the doll yet, but the artist IS reputable.
However, that makes me nervous that they don't cover customs, what if I never get this doll?
She sold many custom slots on ebay, so I don't see why we wouldn't be covered by the buyer protection.
Jonilyn

Post by Jonilyn »

I thought that custom's were not covered, and also if you paid in installments it wasn't covered. :baby1:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Jonilyn wrote:I thought that custom's were not covered, and also if you paid in installments it wasn't covered. :baby1:
I think you are right! If the artist tells paypal that it is a deposit, paypal will cancel the dispute immediately! ....Trust me!
SeabeesWife10Tanya

Now I am really getting nervous but I let her know and I am waiting for her to reply letting me know if there is another way to go about this. Her babies are beautiful so hopefully we can work something out. I am also fine with paying in full as long as I am covered.

Would it be out of line for me to ask her if its ok we wait until the baby is done and then I pay in full? Assuming she could cover supplies and everything and then it wouldn't be considered a custom right? and she could always list it on ebay if I didn't pay for it (I obviously wouldn't do that)
ariliv2_Amy

Post by ariliv2_Amy »

This is why I typically don't ask for or accept deposits on custom babies. I would prefer to just buy the supplies myself and have my client pay in full after the baby is completed and approved. It's pretty low risk for me as I have the doll, the materials were mine to begin with, and if my client doesn't go through with the order it's mine to sell. I still send regular progress pictures and communication but I don't feel as much pressure since I haven't accepted any money until it's ready to ship. The only time I ask for a deposit is when a client sends me their own kit or if they request something unusual like lots of moles or unusual birthmarks.

http://www.amysdollhouse.com/
Amy
Amy's Dollhouse
Pebby

Post by Pebby »

safcfootienut_Jo wrote:Would paypal even cover you for a custom??? Unless the rules have changed customs were not covered iirc.

Jo in the UK

I think your right Jo

PayPal Purchase Protection.
With PayPal, you’re protected from checkout to delivery. We spot problems before they happen with the latest anti-fraud technology. Your financial info is never given away to sellers. And if something goes wrong with your order, your eligible transactions will be fully reimbursed.
Purchase Protection covers all your online purchases, on eBay or on any other website, when you use PayPal. It also covers you when you make a payment on our website. You must open a dispute within 180 days of your purchase or payment to initiate the Purchase Protection process. Finally, your account must be in good standing with us to get Purchase Protection.

Purchase Protection does not cover certain kinds of purchases. These include: digital goods (intangible items), services, real estate, motorized vehicles (of any kind), custom made items, travel tickets, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid cards, or items that violate our policies or eBay’s policies (stuff that’s usually prohibited by law anyway). Purchase Protection also does not cover items that you purchase in person, or money you send to friends and family.
darby14_Jodi

Post by darby14_Jodi »

There's no easy way to do it. I always use my credit card with PayPal as protection. I would at least pay her for the supplies to start as she probably won't want to chance it.
SeabeesWife10Tanya

We got it taken care of...She was able to move some things around and is going to start on my baby as soon as the kit arrives and she will be here within the 45 days :)
CaliforniaMel

Post by CaliforniaMel »

SeabeesWife10Tanya wrote:We got it taken care of...She was able to move some things around and is going to start on my baby as soon as the kit arrives and she will be here within the 45 days :)
Yay! Good news! :toast:
Image[/URL]
dianareed

Post by dianareed »

My Paypal account was linked to my American Express card. And the two babies I ordered were custom babies. I had paid her in full. As I mentioned in my previous post, I still got a full refund, within 15 mins. of my reporting her, after 5 months of the artist pushing the completion date back. So, PayPal will work with you and your CC provider, even after 5 months. So, I don't think it matters which cc you use.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

kayapo2000 wrote:My Paypal account was linked to my American Express card. And the two babies I ordered were custom babies. I had paid her in full. As I mentioned in my previous post, I still got a full refund, within 15 mins. of my reporting her, after 5 months of the artist pushing the completion date back. So, PayPal will work with you and your CC provider, even after 5 months. So, I don't think it matters which cc you use.
THIS is good to know! Thanks for sharing this!