Some people just don't get it :(. ~ New Pics pg 3

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
cheri

Some people just don't get it :(. ~ New Pics pg 3

Post by cheri »

Hi Dolly Friends,

I was over at a friends the other day and a few other friends came over to play games
But we all took turnes doing different things and I got online looking at dolls and showing
One of my friends some pics and a couple others were like eww gross you like those :shock: :?
And said they would never waste there money on them and that there creepy and ugly :(
It hurt me so bad but I just said were all different and like different things but she just said
That's just so gross !!! No reason for them !!!
And then my other friend didn't even want to look anymore :cry:
I feel so upset ...
How would any of you handle this ?
Do you feel you waste your money ?

Hugs
Cheri
Last edited by cheri on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heatherisdolliecrazy

Re: Some people just don't get it :(

Post by heatherisdolliecrazy »

i have heard it all. creepy, ugly, dead babies, waste of money etc. I just don't care anymore. Most of my friends like to go out to eat fast food daily and like to go to the bars to drink most nights, I just tell them dolls are my drugs of choice. They don't harm my body or make my judgement impaired. They don't understand why I waste my $$ on dolls. I don't understand why they waste their $$ on things that harm their body. And once they are gone they are gone. Food and alcohol are a one time thing. Dolls will last me a lifetime :D
CaliforniaMel

Post by CaliforniaMel »

People "waste" money in all sorts of ways. Where exactly does spending $80 with a partner at a restaurant get you, for example? You could have eaten at home for $5 and the meal would have eventually gone exactly the same route. ;) And how about a "nice" car? Couldn't a car that's, say, $20K cheaper, brand-new with great gas mileage, but is, gasp, a Honda and not a Lexus or Caddy, do exactly the same job? What about loads of "nice" shoes? Does how one's feet look determine how well one walks around - and exactly how many pairs of shoes could one person need, anyway? How about that amazing flat screen TV? They couldn't see anything on a TV that wasn't precisely flat?

People do seem to have emotional reactions to reborns, and for some people, to dolls in general. Don't let it bother you. Allow them their feelings but if you feel you are being spoken to cruelly, let them know that everyone has hobbies, that sims and online games, which roleplay, are very popular and this is just a variation on that theme, and that it is okay for them not to like your hobby. :) Or if you want to be a snippy little pain in the butt like me, you could always ask them how much that Dodgers came cost them last weekend when they could have stayed home, had the best seat in the house and not spent $12 on one beer. ;)

I personally don't really "share" my hobby with others, except for a select few who find it interesting. (My best friend is one of these - she always wants to know what new "baby" I'm making.) But I think of it along the lines of my 8-year-old and his Minecraft conversations. I love the little bug to death, he and his brothers are my life, BUT after being regaled daily about the Wonders of Minecraft (in excruciating detail), I have come to the conclusion that I just don't WANT to hear about it. (I tell him, "Let's talk about school/friends/whatever" to steer him away.) I am 100% sure that even people who are open to my dolls don't want to hear about them all the time, so I give them their space and I expect others to give me my space on what I enjoy.
Last edited by CaliforniaMel on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/URL]
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

Ignore them and enjoy your dolls! :wink:
cheri

Post by cheri »

Wow Heather Great Crew you have there :wink:
And True advice !!!
I don't even have one baby here at my house yet but I plan on it
And I can't wait to cuddle them :baby:
I'm on low income budget but I'm paying on a layaway and its a
Hobby and its not hurting me or anyone else so I guess I just have
To keep it to myself and enjoy them :)
My family understands and that's all that matters right ?
Many dolly (((hugs)))
:grouphug:
cheri

Post by cheri »

Thanks Mel for your great advice :D
And my son also loves Mindcraft :wink: and other games
That I don't really understand but I try lol cause I love him :D
Dolly (((hugs)))

Thanks so much Sandi :wink:
I will do my very best !!!
Dolly (((hugs)))
NanaCarolyn

Post by NanaCarolyn »

I'm so sorry this happened to you :( . I have had similar situations. If a friend comes over and shows interest in my babies I like to share them and talk about them, but sometimes even then they will make the comment that they are creepy. I try not to let it get to me, but it's hard not to when you think a particular baby is so sweet and then someone else says it's not or it's creepy. I've let go of a couple babies because of it. I take it for granted that others find it weird, but it just seems worse when they show interest and then turn to criticism. It's just a hobby and it's not hurting anyone. Wonder why people feel they have to be so judgemental. But at the end of the day it's not going to make me give up this hobby. I know there are lots of ladies on here who have had very positve experiences with their babies, though.

Congratulations on your first baby. I think you are going to have alot of fun.
Happy Dolly Days,

Hugs,
Carolyn

TinaDolly

Post by TinaDolly »

It happened to me on Facebook with my cousin. He said my babies looked dead and I should be ashamed to even post them. His parents (my aunt and uncle) gave him a piece of their mind and told me to just ignore him. My response to him was if you don't like it, don't look at them and then I blocked and removed him from FB. I saw him at a family gathering a few months ago. We hadn't talked in almost 3 years and he apologized but I still will not re-add him to my friends list ever again. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but I never thought it would happen to me with my own family. My thought is, if you have nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut.
TheOriginalBecca

Post by TheOriginalBecca »

Oh, Cherie...I'm so sorry this happened to you. Friends should never say things like that, or at least I certainly don't think so. How awful :hug: Some people really just don't get it, you're right. Do your best to let it go, however, and don't let it sink your ship. That's simply their opinion and their opinion isn't what makes the world go round even if they might think it does. You can't please everyone, nor should you have to. Congratulations on your first reborn (or so I presume). I'm sure you will enjoy your new baby very much. I'm glad your family understands your hobby. At the end of the day, however, all that really matters is that you enjoy it. :toast:
DianeLovesBabies

Post by DianeLovesBabies »

I am so sorry that your friends upset you like they did. If I have anyone over to our home and they make comments like that they are never invited back. People can be very rude and then they regret it later on. I bet they would not like it if you ripped them apart on some of the things they did and loved. Best thing to do is ignore them and move onto kinder friends who appreciate you and your hobby. I would have to have said to their face....well that was rather rude! That would have shocked them and made them think of what they just said to hurt your feelings. You can come here anytime of the day or night and we will be here for you, bet they won't!

Hugs,
Diane
Be happy and play with dolls!
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

I'm sorry your friends were rude :grouphug: and yes it's always good if your family are behind you

My family don't 'get' the doll thing but tolerate it

Don't let their reaction deter you. I find doll forums are great and allow you to enjoy this hobby with like minded people
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello
cheri

Post by cheri »

Carolyn... Thanks
So sorry you had to let go of a couple of your babies :(
I wish people wouldn't say anything if they don't like
Something !
Hugs :hug:
Love your siggy baby

Tina ... Thanks
How awful for your cousin to say that !
And your right if they don't have anything
Nice to say they shouldn't say anything at all :wink:
Hugs to you :hug:

Becca...
I will do my very best, and I know I can't please everyone
Plus we shouldn't have to !
I'm in dolly labor :baby1: till next week
I will post pics of my new baby when she comes :baby: :wink:

Diane...
You are so right !
They wouldn't like it if I would've said something about what
They love and talked about all night ! Which wasn't even good
Either but I'm not that kind of person :shock: :( :?
But I don't think they will ever change , how sad !
Dolly hugs :hug:

Linda...thanks
But sorry that your family don't really get it !
I'm just happy that we all can come here to share
Our feelings about these such things and I dont
Understand why people can't just leave us alone !!!
Dolly hugs :hug:

Hugs to all
This is helpful to hear from you all and I hope this feeling
Goes away very soon, it's just words, and I know that
But words can hurt for a bit I guess :(

:foryou: :grouphug:
CaliforniaMel

Post by CaliforniaMel »

It's great that your family is behind you!

My middle son, who is 11 and has special needs, LOVES the babies. He has to pick up each one and give it a kiss and a cuddle. He likes "real" babies, too. He gets very excited and happy when I'm doing a doll.

My husband and youngest son - no, just no, LOL. One time I had a baby lying on the couch. My youngest son came in and went to sit on the couch and STOPPED right in his place, practically fell over, arms wheeling, just like in a cartoon, LOL. Then without taking his eyes off the doll, he asked, "Mom, I want to sit down. Can you please move that doll?" He wouldn't even touch it to move it, LOL.

I like to torture my husband by coming up behind him and lightly stroking his cheek or the back of his neck with a doll hand...he goes "mmm," then turns around, sees it's a doll part and yells "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Good times.

He also likes to peek into the oven and say, "Baby head for dinner AGAIN?"
Image[/URL]
AnneXmedici

Post by AnneXmedici »

For visiting guests: it is rude and in bad taste to give negative comments or critisize the hosts home and belongings. Also it shows lack of care, compassion snd not the least it is lack of culture.
Make them aware that it is!
I am sorry for sounding so harsh, but there it is.
KekeLeo

Post by KekeLeo »

My family knows that I collect dolls, but probably have no idea how connected I am to my babies since I have so many types of dolls. It's nothing for them to get me a doll or doll related items as gifts. I've even gotten baby clothes and items as they've been outgrown by real babies. Some of my relatives think the babies are cute, others not so much. They would freak if they knew how much I am spending on my full body silicone. My husband is not a collector, but he knows how much the dolls cost and he helped me pick my FBS. Since it was so expensive I wanted his input. He loves to joke that he has still spent more on video game consoles and games than I have on my dolls. Between him and my son we have every system but the PS4. That's his thing and this is mine. I know others would tell us that this is not the best way to spend our money, but our bills are paid, our kids are fed, and clothed so they can take a long walk off a short pier.
My childhood may be over, but that doesn’t mean playtime is.
Ron Olson
Beckie

Post by Beckie »

Most of my friends and acquaintances know that I collect and make reborn babies, primarily because I provide the stand in for Baby Jesus at all of our church productions. Some people get it and some don't, and that's really okay with me as most people are nice about it either way. Those who get it, I share with and they are always excited to see which baby I am working on or who is new in the nursery. The ones who really get to me are those select few who find it necessary to be demeaning, I don't judge them based on their hobbies so why do they find it necessary to do so with regards to mine?
Ginas_reborns

Post by Ginas_reborns »

These people are your friends? :( Might be time for some new ones that are respectful of you. xx
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

I have collected dolls since I was little and will and have always loved them and anything dolly related. With that said, no one except my DF family shares my passion for all things dolly, and you know what that is o.k., to each his own. I do not let it bother me at all.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

KekeLeo wrote:My family knows that I collect dolls, but probably have no idea how connected I am to my babies since I have so many types of dolls. It's nothing for them to get me a doll or doll related items as gifts. I've even gotten baby clothes and items as they've been outgrown by real babies. Some of my relatives think the babies are cute, others not so much. They would freak if they knew how much I am spending on my full body silicone. My husband is not a collector, but he knows how much the dolls cost and he helped me pick my FBS. Since it was so expensive I wanted his input. He loves to joke that he has still spent more on video game consoles and games than I have on my dolls. Between him and my son we have every system but the PS4. That's his thing and this is mine. I know others would tell us that this is not the best way to spend our money, but our bills are paid, our kids are fed, and clothed so they can take a long walk off a short pier.
This is great, it sounds like my husband and I. He has his thing, and I have mine. My mother in law has bought me baby clothes for my dolls for Christmas LOL
There are a few family members that don't care for my dolls but they really don't say anything, that is called tact.
I agree with what Anne said, it is very disrespectful to go into someones home and criticize their things. I also think it is disrespectful to criticize people for what they like, just because you don't happen to like the same things.
I have never met anyone who didn't have SOMETHING they are into. To each their own. Life is too short to put off what you love because others don't have the tact or respect to keep their negativity to themselves. We don't all have to like the same things, but to put people down, or make them feel bad about something they enjoy is crossing the line IMO.

Oh and I "waste" my money on many things, if you think dolls are bad you should see what I spend on virtual pets (webkinz LOL)
Bottom line is, we can always justify spending on what we like, but it is easy to judge how others spend their money.
We could be doing drugs, boozing it up etc. If your bills are paid, and everyone is taken care of (if you have kids etc) then who cares what you spend your extra money on!
Last edited by jenlovesdolls on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Wow, you have some very opinionated friends, glad they won't need any help picking what they like in life! ;)

What can I say? My family isn't supportive of my dolls, especially my mother who is as opinionated as your friends. On the other hand my husband has been my best supporter so far, he encouraged me many times in my reborning journey and even gave me a very special Himstedt for my birthday one year... he isn't thrilled about the money but he has his own hobbies and we both talk to each other and agree before spending money. I don't "need" his permission but I like for him to be onboard, nothing to hide here.

Bottom line is... don't talk dolls to your friends, and keep enjoying them to the max!