Baby Powder vs. Baby Cornstarch Powder

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Baby Powder vs. Baby Cornstarch Powder

Post by Susan@childrenoftheheart »

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have not idea how long ago and I would love the information ASAP. I have always heard NOT to use baby powder but to use baby cornstarch powder on silicones. Can someone give me some insight as to the reasons why and why not?

Thanks so much.

Hugs,
Kelliegirl

Re: Baby Powder vs. Baby Cornstarch Powder

Post by Kelliegirl »

The information that I was told by multiple artists is that cornstarch is less abrasive than baby powder……..it is more fine and I can definitely feel a difference when I use cornstarch.

I really like how it feels on my silicone babies………it makes them feel like satin! :D I've never had any kind of paint problem or anything else when I use cornstarch either, so now that's all I use on my sili babies. :wink: I hope this helps.
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Jane

Post by Jane »

Yes Susan - What Kellie said but use straight cornstarch - like you cook with . Not baby powder with corn starch in it :)

:heart: :heart: :heart: Sweet Baby Clara :heart: :heart: :heart:
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Jane wrote:
Yes Susan - What Kellie said but use straight cornstarch - like you cook with . Not baby powder with corn starch in it :)
Yup, I buy a big old bag used for cooking! It's super cheap too! :wink:

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Elisabettas Babies

Post by Elisabettas Babies »

Another guess would be that breathing in baby powder is toxic, while cornstarch is not. ;)
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Oh -- just cornstarch -- I was always under the impression that regular baby powder was more abrasive, so I should use cornstarch baby powder. I just checked the ingredients on cornstarch baby powder: Zea Mays (corn) starch, tricalcium phosphate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E acetate) and fragrance.

Now I wonder if cornstarch is just made from corn or are there additives??? Off to check out google!
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Susan@childrenoftheheart wrote:Oh -- just cornstarch -- I was always under the impression that regular baby powder was more abrasive, so I should use cornstarch baby powder. I just checked the ingredients on cornstarch baby powder: Zea Mays (corn) starch, tricalcium phosphate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E acetate) and fragrance.

Now I wonder if cornstarch is just made from corn or are there additives??? Off to check out google!
No, you don't want to use the cornstarch baby powder, just plain cooking cornstarch. The bag I have is 100% cornstarch only. There should be no other ingredients other than cornstarch.

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Awesome -- off to get just cornstarch then.

Thanks so much Kellie!!!
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Susan@childrenoftheheart wrote:Awesome -- off to get just cornstarch then.

Thanks so much Kellie!!!
You are very Welcome! :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Carolr

Post by Carolr »

Thanks for the info ladies. I have also been wondering about this. I have always used cornstarch baby powder, never just plain cornstarch. It's good to know as I have been using the wrong thing when I have needed it. I have not had to powder any of the recent silicones I have had, but it's always good to know.
:idea: Hugs, Carol
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

I rarely powder anyone either. I guess I've been lucky with no shine. I'm glad to know this tho. I'll have to get some regular cornstarch too. I only have the powder containing cornstarch. Thanks for the info.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

erin1958 wrote:I rarely powder anyone either. I guess I've been lucky with no shine. I'm glad to know this tho. I'll have to get some regular cornstarch too. I only have the powder containing cornstarch. Thanks for the info.

I never feel the need to powder a silicone, but good to know this as I always have real cornstarch on hand. I love using it for fat free thickening in sauces.
Jasmin

Post by Jasmin »

What is wrong with using cornstarch baby powder ? I have used it for years and never had any problems with it.
My Prince Charming Humphrey Elliott Lucas by Andrea Arcello
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Jasmin wrote:What is wrong with using cornstarch baby powder ? I have used it for years and never had any problems with it.
There's nothing wrong with using cornstarch baby powder…...Susan was just asking if one was better than the other, and my personal preference is to use pure cornstarch over baby powder. I think it is feels better than baby powder because it is more fine than baby powder, and I also think it stays on the silicone longer when dressing and re-dressing your doll. I was also told by multiple artists that it is less abrasive than baby powder, so that is what I have used for years with my silicone babies.

If you have had good luck with baby powder and you like the results then keep using it. I think either is ok to use, it's just my preference, and I also think different artists that you ask have different opinions about what to use, so I just go with what trusted artists say. :wink:

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
Renaissance Babies Tracey

Post by Renaissance Babies Tracey »

I believe that some baby talcs contain moisturisers, which is not good for silicone. I only use pure cornstarch.
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

There was a thread about this somewhere (here or maybe another forum) and it was brought up that cornstarch is a food and would attract bugs :?:
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello
MariaJose and Zu

Post by MariaJose and Zu »

I only have 1 doll that needs periodically baby powder. Twice a year dusting lightly with talc my Brielle Arcello, I know it is a bit abrasive, but for fear of what Linda mentioned I do not want any edible product in my babies.

Zu, forever in my heart :heart:
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

tixiepixi_linda wrote:There was a thread about this somewhere (here or maybe another forum) and it was brought up that cornstarch is a food and would attract bugs :?:
I believe that the thread you are talking about spoke about cornstarch and also using powdered sugar as a matting agent.

Although, most baby powders contain cornstarch, so you are still using a food product on your doll if it lists cornstarch as an ingredient.……….I've always used cornstarch and never had a problem. :wink:

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I have only used baby powder on one silicone............the others don't need it.........Guess I will be getting some cornstarch powder........Thanks ladies..........Hugs, Kathy