Selling babies

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
love4reborns

Selling babies

Post by love4reborns »

For you experienced, reborn/silicone collectors, how long does it take for you to decide to sell a baby?

I bought a baby off of ebay last week. I got the baby this week, and while I mostly love her, I am not IN love, iykwim. I keep telling myself to give it a month, but since she is a FBS, it may take awhile for her to sell on ebay. For the money I paid, I want to be IN love.

I love the sculpt and I love how she was done, but I realize that I like to cuddle my babies more than I thought. I think the FBS is super cuddly, but her stomach is hard and it doesn't "fold" into my body. I think I would rather a cloth body.

So how long do you give yourself? What do you think? I also don't want to impulse sell her then regret it. I also worry about insulting the artist. She is beautifully done, so this isn't about craftsmanship. I just think *I* should have been true to what I like in reborns. I like to look at them, but I also like to hold/cuddle them.

Any opinions would be welcome!
jenlovesdolls

Re: Selling babies

Post by jenlovesdolls »

I tend to fall in love with photos and the expectations of what I think I am getting and have been disappointed once the baby arrived.
That is not to say they were all bad or anything, just not what I expected and/or didn't like as much in person etc.
For me, I try to give the doll a chance but I know myself well enough that if I am not in love with it within a day or two forget it!
Tina

Post by Tina »

I can normally tell as soon as I take a baby out of the box if I am going to bond with her or not, I totally understand how you are feeling, when I got my first FBS a couple of years ago I felt nothing when I saw her, I kept her for a month to see if this would change but it did not so I listed her on ebay and she eventually sold but I lost about a third of her purchase price, this was not the artists fault or mine come to that but it just how it worked out.
I now have my dream FBS and the minute I took her out of the box I was in love, she is the perfect baby for me and I adore her.
A few babies have come and gone in between but I now am very happy, so if you do decide to sell your baby then maybe try a soft body silicone as you said, I have had 3 and was very happy with them all and maybe you will be too.
Good luck with your decision making, just do what makes you happy, that would be my advice. xxxx
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

I once bought a well painted/rooted reborn from ebay and knew the minute I opened the box I couldn't bond with the sculpt...I sold on within days
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello
love4reborns

Post by love4reborns »

Thanks for your thoughts!

I am going to give myself through the weekend and reassess! Losing money is a fear, also... however, it's a risk!
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

This has happened to me more times than I care to mention. The problem is that I generally hang on to them because I can't stand to think of the money I lose when I resell. MOre than 1/2 generally. I know, some women say they generally get their money out of a reborn (in particulr) if they sell....I'm not sure how as some of the dolls I end up selling are from supposed great, well known artists.
LollipopCradle_Paula

Post by LollipopCradle_Paula »

My opinion is if you're not bonding and you're sure you're not going to, go ahead and list it and just be honest about why you are selling it. It happens to us all. :(
karenwhitmore

Post by karenwhitmore »

Let it go! Let it go! Let it goooooo! Can you hear me singing? Lol
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

karenwhitmore wrote:Let it go! Let it go! Let it goooooo! Can you hear me singing? Lol
Hahahaha!!! That is so funny!! :lol:

If I don't bond with a doll immediately, then I sell them on quickly. For me if I don't fall in love at first sight, I generally won't ever. I've learned that it's just a normal part of the hobby!! :wink:
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
judyinontario

Post by judyinontario »

sometimes I will try switching the gender if its a cloth body reborn, kinda hard to do that on a fbs lol
the ladies have given you great advice I agree with them 100 percent, let it goooooooooooooooo :wink: :wink:
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

karenwhitmore wrote:Let it go! Let it go! Let it goooooo! Can you hear me singing? Lol
:toast:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Tracy Lorraine wrote:
:toast:
LOVE IT!..... :lol: Hopefully, someone else will be looking for that exact baby and everything will be smoothly! :D
love4reborns

Post by love4reborns »

Thanks everyone for your advice!

I made a listing for her on eBay, and posted it, but took it down. I'm going to get through the weekend and re-evaluate.

I think a clear sign that I need to sell is that I'm still looking for babies lol
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I think if you don't like her it the quicker you put it back up for sale the better your chances of recouping your money. I bought a silicone once that the minute I opened it I did not like it. I knew before I even held it I was not going to like it because I did not like the coloring. I put it up for sale the next day at the same price I paid saying I just got it and it was not the doll for me. Someone else snapped her right up at the same price and off she went to them. I lost money in having to pay the PP fees on the sale but that was it and it was better than keeping a baby I did not want.
CaliforniaMel

Post by CaliforniaMel »

I've had this experience. If I were you I'd sell the baby. Someone out there is going to absolutely love her. And then you can try for a baby you can bond with.
Image[/URL]
love4reborns

Post by love4reborns »

CaliforniaMel wrote:I've had this experience. If I were you I'd sell the baby. Someone out there is going to absolutely love her. And then you can try for a baby you can bond with.
That's what I keep telling myself.

Then I dress her...and I am like, "awww..." I am crazy! LOL :headspin: