customs question???

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
jenlovesdolls

customs question???

Post by jenlovesdolls »

Can I send a doll to the UK with full insurance, but mark it as a gift so they don't have to pay customs?
I am really nervous to do that, but not even sure if you CAN do that!
From what I read on another thread I can't even insure it for the full amount because it is higher than $650!
waterwaybabies

Re: customs question???

Post by waterwaybabies »

if you send as a gift and both parties stick to the agreement then it is perfectly doable. depends on whether you are comfortable doing it.
i always do it if asked from uk to usa as the fees are dreadful.
wish more people would do it as i have paid hundreds in customs and would not wish anyone else to have to suffer financially by buying a much wanted doll.x
i do understand that some people will not do it and respect that though. me... happy to save my dolly mates some money.x
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

waterwaybabies wrote:if you send as a gift and both parties stick to the agreement then it is perfectly doable. depends on whether you are comfortable doing it.
i always do it if asked from uk to usa as the fees are dreadful.
wish more people would do it as i have paid hundreds in customs and would not wish anyone else to have to suffer financially by buying a much wanted doll.x
i do understand that some people will not do it and respect that though. me... happy to save my dolly mates some money.x
Ok that is good to know, I just want the doll insured in case of loss or damage.
I wasn't sure if I could insure it that high but still declare it as a gift.
My concern now is that I am reading that you can't insure for more than $650...the doll is worth a LOT more than that!
Raussie21_Ros

Post by Raussie21_Ros »

I sent a doll as a gift and the person never received it....Australia Post has told me that they always get held up with customs, also if marked as a gift that you can't insure it...not sure if it's like that over where you are...hugs Ros.
Beautiful Chanel..coming home soon...

Melinda

Post by Melinda »

I would think they would question it if you marked it as a gift then insured it for a huge amount :? I'm not sure.
CaliforniaMel

Post by CaliforniaMel »

Melinda wrote:I would think they would question it if you marked it as a gift then insured it for a huge amount :? I'm not sure.
I don't think so, I mean if for instance I sent a piece of jewelry to my mother-in-law for her birthday I'd definitely want to insure it for its full amount. Or if I sent my oldest son a video game system and a couple of games for Christmas. Stuff like that. These would definitely add up to a couple/few hundred dollars.

Does your (the OP's) buyer agree to it? Sending as a gift doesn't afford buyer protection, I don't think?
Image[/URL]
Tina

Post by Tina »

My baby came from the U.S.A to here in the U.K and I was happy in the knowledge that she was fully insured and both myself and the seller were covered in case of something going wrong .
I did have to pay £368 in customs charges but I allowed for that when setting the budget for my new baby.
The seller did offer to send as a gift but in the end we both agreed it was not worth the risk.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

Personally if I were on the flip side I would rather pay the customs fees and be fully protected.
I am just trying to figure out this insurance cap they seem to have! I won't under insure it!
How do you sell things over $2500 if they cap you at $2500???
EmilyJ

Post by EmilyJ »

For over $2,500 you have to get an export license I think. You can get a little bit extra insurance with insurepost.com. They are great. :D
:heart: Lilliana reborn by Daria Makarenkova :heart:
Lilliana doll kits are available to purchase now!

http://www.babiesbyemily.com/
http://www.facebook.com/babiesbyemily
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Anything you send to the UK with a value of more than £36 (approx $56) will have a VAT charge against it of 20%. Customs duty is applied on gifts with a value over £135 (approx $208). So sending a doll as a gift is unlikely to avoid import/customs charges. Anyone living in the UK should be aware of these charges and should factor them in when making a purchase from overseas. It is unfair to expect overseas sellers to break the law, falsifying customs documents, declaring items as gifts, just to avoid charges imposed by our government. There is also a risk the item will be seized if they are not declared correctly and you can be fined or prosecuted!

For an expensive doll, it's much safer all round to declare and insure the true value of the doll, then everyone is covered.
Hugs, Sandra
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

Sandra wrote:Anything you send to the UK with a value of more than £36 (approx $56) will have a VAT charge against it of 20%. Customs duty is applied on gifts with a value over £135 (approx $208). So sending a doll as a gift is unlikely to avoid import/customs charges. Anyone living in the UK should be aware of these charges and should factor them in when making a purchase from overseas. It is unfair to expect overseas sellers to break the law, falsifying customs documents, declaring items as gifts, just to avoid charges imposed by our government. There is also a risk the item will be seized if they are not declared correctly and you can be fined or prosecuted!

For an expensive doll, it's much safer all round to declare and insure the true value of the doll, then everyone is covered.
I do agree, I am not really comfortable taking the chance. I would be the one getting prosecuted if they decide that a gift insured for $3000 is suspicious!
I can't take that chance :(
AnnieUK

Post by AnnieUK »

I have just ordered a reborn from the USA with a value of $570 (not including $80 for postage). I have just calculated that tax will be about £75 on current exchange rate and £9.25 Customs Duty = £85 approx in total. If I have worked it out correctly, I don't think this is bad with the knowledge it will be fully insured.
I would be devastated if anything happened to my new baby.
If you don't have a dream, it will never come true.
Lori JR

Post by Lori JR »

I didn't realize their custom charges were so expensive! Hugs to UK girls!!! :grouphug:

Lori
Tracy Lorraine

Post by Tracy Lorraine »

I had to use UPS to ship to the UK recently in order to be able to insure for the full value on an expensive doll....USPS wouldn't allow insurance over a certain dollar amount.
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

Tracy Lorraine wrote:I had to use UPS to ship to the UK recently in order to be able to insure for the full value on an expensive doll....USPS wouldn't allow insurance over a certain dollar amount.
I looked into UPS and FedEx and the prices were around $300 :shock: