Left out of customs? :(

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Court_LLRN

Left out of customs? :(

Post by Court_LLRN »

I've been noticing a trend with some of the higher end artists out there... whenever I express interest in getting a custom from them, I'm told that they don't do customs.
And then I see many ladies (I guess more known/popular collectors?) posting their recent customs (not recent recent, I mean recent from the time I've been denied) from the same artist. Excited about their new babies.
I mean, I do understand the hesitation from artists having to deal with time wasters. But it makes me feel... less than worthy to own one of their creations. :?
Have any of you ladies noticed the same thing? Or am I just being oversensitive? I know that's a strong possibility too. :lol:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
marilyn

Re: Left out of customs? :(

Post by marilyn »

well, I'm in no position to even give an opinion as I can't afford a "custom"......but I'm sorry this is happening to you.l...does seem kinda weird.
Dion

Post by Dion »

Hmmmmmm...Maybe they only do customs for people they have worked with before :dunno: . I have had something kind of similar happen when I asked a well-known person to do a remake on a silicone I had. I was told that she doesn't do those anymore. Within two days, and a few times since then, I have seen people bragging about their silicones that were getting a remake by this person. I just consider myself blessed to know. I wouldn't want anything from her now or ever.

I hope that you find someone who does remarkable work to make your baby.

:foryou: Hugs, Dion
Cori_PurplePetalLeaves

Post by Cori_PurplePetalLeaves »

I think there is a perception that newbies do have to prove themselves in any group or fandom or hobby, but I don't think we're necessarily being left out of the opportunities to get customs. It seems a lot of more well known artists are stopping doing customs, either for health, time or concerns about buyer scamming reasons. That is true, but I've also noticed that many times when they do make those announcements, they make clear they have babies in the pipeline that they've already promised to people before ending custom services. i'm guessing that's what's happening when you see new custons from them for others after a non custom order policy has been shared with you.

It is difficult to be a newbie when so many great artists are so busy and we are thinking "But I just wanted one of your babies too" but I figure someday we will be busy too, if we are artists and we are lucky and we will have to turn people gently away, so I understand it, as much as it makes me sometimes wish I'd been in the community sooner.

:foryou:

Cori
Hugs and Well Wishes, Cori

My Hope Nicole (Levi)
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

It could be that the people getting them were already in line for one when the artist stopped taking more custom orders?

If that isn't it, yeah I would feel slighted too, and in that case wouldn't buy anything from them in the future since they don't want my business.
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

I had definitely hoped that it was the case of they were finishing up the customs they had to and then would stop... but most of the artists I asked was over a year ago and I still see new custom babies being made. And I also know that these ladies haven't been waiting over a year for these customs... as they have gotten like 2-4 customs. I am not naming any artist or collector and I am also not even putting them down. They totally have their reasons and I don't know the whole story... but yeah...
I was mostly wondering if anyone else had noticed the same thing. :dunno:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
brandaholicbabies

Post by brandaholicbabies »

some artists , reserves just spots, not necessarely the sculpt, if those spots are reserved prior the announcement, than you will see a newer sculpt done as custom by them ...I hope it helps.....hugs
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

Such a good question!
From the artist's side, I have stopped taking anymore customs because I already have a mile long list of babies that I am suppose to make that are customs.
These people have been on my custom list for YEARS.
If someone wants on that list then fine... but it could very well be YEARS before coming around to them. By the time I get to them, sometimes prices change as does everything else that costs money does.
Sometimes I have an opening. Again, its offered to someone on the list. Why not offered to the person next in line??? Because a lot of customers need layaways and have time allotments for payments. Someone who gets paid and will pay in September cant be bumped into April.....
Also, my prices for customs are not less expensive then the babies I sell on ebay. So if collectors are fully aware that a custom is going to cost as much as my ebay babies go for, then fine... a custom can be made.

Its hard because as artists, time is precious... we love the art so much we want to take our time and LOVE what we are doing. Put our heart and soul into the art. That being said, customs are alot of pressure. Moreso then the dolls we create for ourselves. There is the pressure of time, pressure of everything with the paint and rooting ect to go right, the pressure of the customer loving it. It all sits on you every brush stroke.

I truly feel horrible for deny anyone an immediate custom. And there is never an issue of favorites, for me.

Here is a thought and just putting it out there:
Could it be the artist doesnt like the sculpt that you are asking them to make (artists do need to be moved by the sculpt and want to paint it)?
Could it be that they need to be paid more? Money is a motivating factor... and if you love the artist's work you would want to give them their full price for the master work they are about to create for you. Asking for a deal is a bit of an insult from an artist that is so tied up with other customers that she could get her asking price any other time. Her time is precious and is demanded from others as well.
Do you offer them time and creative reign? Does your artist feel no pressure of timing (within reason of course) and do you give them as much leeway as possible to do what they want with the canvas you are offering... you did pick them for a reason right?

I am not saying you do these things but it could be reasons... just my opinion :hug:
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

Oh thank you sooooooooo much ladies for your input!
This makes me feel much better and it all makes perfect sense.
I know all about the different between artist freedom and custom details... that's why when I've had a custom baby done before:
(tips for those looking to have customs made)
I gave a list of at least 3 different kits that I wanted, said I wanted darker color hair and the shade of the eyes. And then I just let them do whatever was best for their work on the sculpt. So they were able to choose which kit to work on, any shade of hair that was on the darker side (any shade of black or brown hair) and darker eyes (dark blue or brown). Since I was picking the artist I wanted, I already loved their work so I don't feel the need to nitpick how they do veining or blushing, etc.
A doll will be MUCH better done if you give the artist as much space as possible.

Again, thanks again ladies!! Ya'll are the best! :foryou: :foryou:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

Court_LLRN wrote:Oh thank you sooooooooo much ladies for your input!
I know all about the different between artist freedom and custom details... that's why when I've had a custom baby done before:
I gave a list of at least 3 different kits that I wanted, said I wanted darker color hair and the shade of the eyes. And then I just let them do whatever was best for their work on the sculpt. So they were able to choose which kit to work on, any shade of hair that was on the darker side (any shade of black or brown hair) and darker eyes (dark blue or brown). Since I was picking the artist I wanted, I already loved their work so I don't feel the need to nitpick how they do veining or blushing, etc.
A doll will be MUCH better done if you give the artist as much space as possible.

Hunny, you are an artists dream!!! :heart:
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

KrisC wrote:

:lol: Well sometimes being on the artist side of things helps too. I completely understand how incredibly stressful it is. I think most people just want a doll to look a specific way and reach out to any artist to do what they want instead of doing the research and finding an artist with a distinct reborning style they are looking for. For examples, you KrisC... WHY would I ever want to change the way you paint?? That would be a sin! :lol:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
KrisC

Post by KrisC »

Court_LLRN wrote:
KrisC wrote:

:lol: Well sometimes being on the artist side of things helps too. I completely understand how incredibly stressful it is. I think most people just want a doll to look a specific way and reach out to any artist to do what they want instead of doing the research and finding an artist with a distinct reborning style they are looking for. For examples, you KrisC... WHY would I ever want to change the way you paint?? That would be a sin! :lol:
EEEEEEEK!!! You are the sweetest thing EVER!!! Thank you, my friend!!! I am now smiling from ear to ear :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :hug:
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

KrisC wrote:
Court_LLRN wrote:
KrisC wrote:

EEEEEEEK!!! You are the sweetest thing EVER!!! Thank you, my friend!!! I am now smiling from ear to ear :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Awww you are most welcome! :foryou: :hug: :heart:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
LindaBforbabies

Post by LindaBforbabies »

I just wanted to say.... I am very easy to work with as well... If I love an artists work..I will usually let the do their own thing...
I will only specify eye and hair colors.. and then say do her/him however looks the best to you.. I love the artist to use their creativity.. which I have always been thrilled with...

I sure can understand that some buyers are super picky when getting a custom... and that would be such a turnoff for an artist.

I really love it when an artist says she has a spot open to paint a baby... this cuts down on the costs..and you get a nicely painted baby..that you can then put together according to how you like your babies weighted and dress then in outfits you already have.

So I wish more artists would be able to paint kits with unpainted or painted hair......
JodyS86

Post by JodyS86 »

I can understand how you would feel the way you do, a lot of artists only work with people they've worked with in the past as others have said because of trust issues. I have never been that way however, I have always given every customer a chance when asked about customs, even if they end up wasting my time in the end, at least it was a potential buyer for that short amount of time. This is also why I always require a 1/3 deposit before accepting a custom, easy to weed out time wasters in that fashion.

I actually get a lot of custom requests on a daily basis at this point even though I am no longer accepting them. Someone asked me the other day why I said I don't take customs anymore when they asked but yet I still post photos of custom order WIP. I took half a year's worth of custom orders at the beginning of the year therefore I am still finishing up that list, people don't seem to understand that some artists have had those custom orders months prior to actually working on them as this is how some artists keep a schedule. Maybe the person you asked has had those custom orders for quite some time as well? I hope you are able to find someone to custom make your baby :) As others have said, some of us stopped accepting customs due to lack of freedom with our work and excessively picky customers who want to breathe down your neck every step of the way.
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

JodyS86 wrote:I can understand how you would feel the way you do, a lot of artists only work with people they've worked with in the past as others have said because of trust issues. I have never been that way however, I have always given every customer a chance when asked about customs, even if they end up wasting my time in the end, at least it was a potential buyer for that short amount of time. This is also why I always require a 1/3 deposit before accepting a custom, easy to weed out time wasters in that fashion.

I actually get a lot of custom requests on a daily basis at this point even though I am no longer accepting them. Someone asked me the other day why I said I don't take customs anymore when they asked but yet I still post photos of custom order WIP. I took half a year's worth of custom orders at the beginning of the year therefore I am still finishing up that list, people don't seem to understand that some artists have had those custom orders months prior to actually working on them as this is how some artists keep a schedule. Maybe the person you asked has had those custom orders for quite some time as well? I hope you are able to find someone to custom make your baby :) As others have said, some of us stopped accepting customs due to lack of freedom with our work and excessively picky customers who want to breathe down your neck every step of the way.
Thanks so much, Jody. :D That makes perfect sense. And I appreciate your willingness to work with anyone! Your work is beautiful! :toast:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra

Post by lastingmemoriesnursery_Debra »

I only do customs. that being said though I am booked until next year around Feb. So right now I am being a little more choosy on taking on new orders. I love doing custom babies and I most likely will never do anything else besides customs lol but it is a lot of work ontop of the fun stuff of actually painting lol
Mark_Haysman

Post by Mark_Haysman »

I have found that too, but what I find quite frustrating is I can't find an artist that does customs, AND does all the things I want done. I can find 3 or 4 different artists, that between then would do everything, but for example, one artist who's style of painting I love, doesn't do rooted lashes, then the next artist that does rooted lashes doesn't do rooted brows. The third who does both, I don't like their paining style. And it goes round and round like that. I'm not a fan of asking artists to do just one part of a doll then move it on, as that's just going to upset them.

Mark.
lilybug_linda

Post by lilybug_linda »

From an artist viewpoint...
I do very few customs and then for someone who knows my work.

I do many prototypes and they have deadlines to coincide with kit debuts. They will ALWAYS come first and bump any custom.

Don't ask me to paint a doll "just like so and so" did. I have my own style and can't, and won't, try to copy another artist.

For me, babies evolve as I paint and never seem to look like what I expected. You may not like my final product! AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON I DO NOT LIKE TO DO CUSTOMS! We put ourselves on the line every time we make a baby. I don't want to ruin your kit by making it into something that doesn't match YOUR vision.

I would much rather paint a baby and put it out there. You can buy, or not, as it suits you.

Hope this helps you understand :heart: