Sellers please state if you smoke in your home when selling

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Annette

Re: Sellers please state if you smoke in your home when selling

Post by Annette »

I totally agree. It should always be disclosed if the item is coming from a smoker's home. For people like me, with asthma and allergies, it is horrible getting items stinking of smoke! Not only the smell, but the effect it has on our health.
I got a silicone doll from a home where there was a smoker, and it took Nearly a year to get rid of the smell. I had to leave it out on my deck, in a garbage bag, with charcoal in it, before the smell dissipated. I tried the dishwasher method too, but it did nothing at all. Maybe because silicone is more solid than vinyl. :dunno:
Even with smokey clothes, it is hard to remove the smell. Washing in vinegar sometimes helps, but it takes a few washes before it's gone. :(
Hugs Annette
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

Amen and amen. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
dmatthews

Post by dmatthews »

How frustrating it is to get something that smells like smoke. I don't ever buy anything from a smoker only because I am so sensitive to the smoke just don't want it in my house. Although I will say I have bought items from people who did not disclose being a smoker and some who were and claimed the items didn't smell like smoke only to get it and yes they smell like smoke.
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

I ,too,have seen a UPS driver smoking in the truck...So inappropriate ..
I once received a crotched item that smelled of cigarette smoke :/
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

Okay, so my husband is a smoker as am I BUT, we do not smoke in the house. So, is that considered a smoker or non-smoking home??? Would really like to know.
safcfootienut_Jo

Post by safcfootienut_Jo »

marilyn wrote:Okay, so my husband is a smoker as am I BUT, we do not smoke in the house. So, is that considered a smoker or non-smoking home??? Would really like to know.
I would say yes. Smoke smells can still transfer from your clothes hair etc and still bother allergy sufferers.

Jo in the UK
mandyuk

Post by mandyuk »

I also have a courier that smokes in his van, everything I get through them stinks but I'm very sensitive to it as all our family are strict non smokers !!!
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

I am an asthmatic & have terrible allergies!!
Just the hint of smoke from someone's clothes even can set off an asthma attack for me.
I once had bought a doll off of E-bay that was so pretty, but she reeked of cigarette smoke.
Even took her apart, removed all the stuffing & beads, soaked her crocheted outfit, let her air out in the garage for several weeks, and nothing worked. Gave her new stuffing & beads & my daughter ended up with a new doll at her house, because nothing I did to her helped! She was rooted, so I shampooed her hair, too.
So I will only buy from someone that is a TOTAL non-smoker, because for me it is a health hazard!
I understand that someone would not have any control in what a delivery person might do while it was in their vehicle while out for delivery.
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

I won't knowingly buy from anyone who smokes either even if they say they don't smoke in their homes. My in-laws quit smoking in their home after we started dating and I still noticed things smelled like smoke from them. It was not nearly as bad mind you but it still gets in there somehow. I am super sensitive to it as well due to allergies and asthmatic flare ups.
DianeLovesBabies

Post by DianeLovesBabies »

I will remember to mention that my home is a non-smoking home from now on. I use to smoke over 40 years ago and never realized how bad it smells in the hair and cloth until I stopped. I can understand everyone's concern about this and will from now on mention that no one in our home smokes.

Hugs,
Diane
Be happy and play with dolls!
CuteAsAPixie_Terri

Post by CuteAsAPixie_Terri »

I'm highly allergic to cigarettes. I've had some come to me so smokey, I could smell it before I opened the box. It gets in the wrappings, box, vinyl, clothes, etc.. The worst was a very expensive OOAK. I called some experts and was told if the sculptor is smoking while they are sculpting it wouldn't come out. The sculptor gave it to me for 1/2 price if I could get the smoke out. After many months of being submerged in a paper bag and stored in a container with clean cat litter with charcoal, it finally came out. I dumped it out and re-submerged it every few weeks. Now it is lovely and fresh smelling, but it was a lot of work.
Hubby and me and our 3 grand babies, Leah, Lejla and Patrick
Cute As A Pixie Nursery
grandmasheryl

Post by grandmasheryl »

As a non smoker it miffs me that we should even have to try to get the smoke smell out at all.
I purchased some yarn on eBay in the factory wrapped (plastic) and it stank!
It was originally purchased from a company here in Ontario Canada ( you would be fired if found to be smoking on company property)
Wrote the seller here answer?
Well I wrote non smoking home not I am a non smoker!
Wound up tossing it out ! Peed me off!!
anjsmiles Angie

Post by anjsmiles Angie »

To me when someone states it comes from a non-smoking home that means no one who lives there is a smoker. I would have been furious too!
smthlisa2001

Post by smthlisa2001 »

I have only had one doll that reaked of smoke. It got in everything! Clothes etc.
ROLL TIDE!
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I agree..............I have never ever smoked nor have any of my family members and I too have troubles when I come in contact with smoke.............It definitely should be major when selling an item.............Hugs,Kathy