Silicones and baths

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
SeabeesWife10Tanya

Silicones and baths

Post by SeabeesWife10Tanya »

I know some people don't do it but when I bought one of mine I asked and she said its fine plus just powdering doesn't always get rid of the hair and stickiness. I am wondering how often do you give yours a bath? I barely ever wash her hair and I use a soft cloth for her face
georgeanne

Re: Silicones and baths

Post by georgeanne »

Never, I won't surbmerge them in water or wash them with soap. I have however used a wet washcloth for a stray stubborn dog hair from time to time. I powder them once in a Blue Moon.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa

Post by Alexandkatiesmommy_Lisa »

Tanya that is a wonderful display of your late husband's medals and flags♡
ten tiny toes babies nursery

Post by ten tiny toes babies nursery »

silicone can only be bath very very occasionally to remove dust and hairs, don't use soaps or creams and don't rub at all anywhere, it will take the matt coating off, and let them air dry then powder them,
Dion

Post by Dion »

I agree with Georgeanne. I haven't ever bathed any of mine. :foryou: Hugs, Dion
WithloveSteph

Post by WithloveSteph »

I wouldn't bathe them at all. Just wipe down.
With Love,
Stephanie
Denise O

Post by Denise O »

You can rinse with warm regular water. I wouldn't use hard water/well water. Pat dry. Do NOT RUB. Many people repeatedly change their silicone dolls clothes multiple times and then wonder why their paint is RUBBING OFF. A lot of people feel its faulty artistry. That is NOT THE CASE. If you rubbed and rubbed your wall that was painted or if anyone has ever put a vinyl bra on the front of their car when it was popular or tied something down with rope when moving.... the movement back and forth ( rubbing ) will rub the paint away. Same exact concept with silicone. The paint is meant to last when handled CORRECTLY. It is after all a piece of art, but if you choose to play with it and use it, ( and thats ok too ) plan on wear and tear to the item and plan on having to have repaints etc. I don't change my dolls often or submerge them in water once they are painted and finished. If they become dusty.... I just do a fast rinse and pat dry. When I dress them I cover their limbs and other areas with plastic or white tissue paper to protect the paint. I even take the head off to help prevent hair loss if the neck is ball jointed.

I can say a bath or short dip in a pool probably won't hurt the silicone if its made with quality materials. I mean think about the chemicals that are used to prep the surface prior to painting. But chlorine etc may damage hair and could be drying to silicone if not rinsed completely afterwards. It may also decrease the value to a potential buyer. It all varies. If you buy your doll to enjoy it... then enjoy it. If you are a collector... thats fine too. We even microwaved a piece of cured silicone. Really.... its all about what was used to create it and how well cared for.