Personal Preference

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
Sally - USA

Personal Preference

Post by Sally - USA »

It is my personal preference to have babies - reborn, silicone, or OOAK that do not look like they have allergies.
I mean I do not like the pink/red that a lot of artists are using these days around the eyes.
To me, the babies look ill.

I'm open to be convinced that I'm all wet...... :lol:
NadiaK

Re: Personal Preference

Post by NadiaK »

I think it depends if a person prefers more newborn looking babies. The redness around the eyes is very common on babies just born and that is what some artists are trying to achieve. For myself, I prefer babies that look more like they are a few months old.
Hugs,
Nadia

tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I too prefer babies that are a little older................I always want them to look perfect............but I understand the redness etc on babies, and does make them look very realistic..........................Hugs, Kathy
dianareed

Post by dianareed »

Personally, I think the red is overdone on many babies, especially on all the wrinkles. It doesn't look natural.
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

I don't like over done redness/mottles but I do like a well done new born look
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello
waterwaybabies

Post by waterwaybabies »

if the look of a sculpt is brand newborn then yes. mottling and redness is ok on some. most babies of just an hour old have lost that look though so its a matter of personal choice. i prefer the colouring on a baby to suit the age of the sculpt though.x
i have seen a couple of REALLY newborn looks on some reborns that i have liked.x
if i were to have just one keeper it would be a more even skintoned baby though.
LollipopCradle_Paula

Post by LollipopCradle_Paula »

I agree that it is over done on some babies. It seems some people prefer that. I am working on trying to get enough pinkness around the eyes to look realistic but not overdone.
Pat in Alabama

Post by Pat in Alabama »

Just my two cents worth on this post. :) I really don't like red on my babies at all. I like the softer color painting. My biggest pet peeve is red or dark lips and dark paint in the creases of the limbs. Some of the reborns look like little tigers with all of the stripes on the legs, arms and anywhere else there is a crease. :)
Wishing you a blessed day.
LanaDollfana

Post by LanaDollfana »

I'm with you Sally. I know the "pink" eyes add to that just born look but I prefer mine with neutral skin tone.

Lana
jenlovesdolls

Post by jenlovesdolls »

I don't either, I also don't like blemishes and milk dots...I didn't like them on my real babies so I for sure wouldn't want them on my dolls.
I also don't like the bruised looking ones, but that is just me.
Adaberny

Post by Adaberny »

I prefer babies with very very settle pinky tones on toes and fingers and very lightly on the face...it just depends what age the artist is trying to interpret onto the kit. :)
krystleslittlemonkeys

Post by krystleslittlemonkeys »

jenlovesdolls wrote:I don't either, I also don't like blemishes and milk dots...I didn't like them on my real babies so I for sure wouldn't want them on my dolls.
I agree.
Krystle's Little Monkeys
http://www.krystleslittlemonkeys.com

krystleslittlemonkeys

Post by krystleslittlemonkeys »

Pat in Alabama wrote:Just my two cents worth on this post. :) I really don't like red on my babies at all. I like the softer color painting. My biggest pet peeve is red or dark lips and dark paint in the creases of the limbs. Some of the reborns look like little tigers with all of the stripes on the legs, arms and anywhere else there is a crease. :)
Yes I agree! I find people way overdue the paint in the creases these days. If you look at real creases on a baby or even an adult it doesn't looks like we have a bunch of scratches or slashes on our arms and legs. It's just shadows. You just need enough colour to give the look of a shadow and nothing more.
Krystle's Little Monkeys
http://www.krystleslittlemonkeys.com

Rosewood Jannie

Post by Rosewood Jannie »

Sally - USA wrote:It is my personal preference to have babies - reborn, silicone, or OOAK that do not look like they have allergies.
I mean I do not like the pink/red that a lot of artists are using these days around the eyes.

Ditto....maybe I'm all wet too :lol:
Tracy MS

Post by Tracy MS »

I don't like the dark red either, especially on the lips, or big dark eyebrows :lol:
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

I am in agreement with all who have posted. I really dislike the darker reds used for lips and creases, it just doesn't look natural at all. And I am not one who likes a lot of redness for mottling or newborn look either. I go with softness.
LollipopCradle_Paula

Post by LollipopCradle_Paula »

jenlovesdolls wrote:I don't either, I also don't like blemishes and milk dots...I didn't like them on my real babies so I for sure wouldn't want them on my dolls.
I don't like milk dots and blemishes either.....or the dry skin effect. When my babies had dry skin I lotioned them up. I do like angel kisses (stork bites) though if they are realistic.
HushabyeMargie

Post by HushabyeMargie »

I've seen a lot of newborn babies and have never seen one with red eyes. They are usually only red when they're screaming...then it's the whole baby, not just the eyes. I've also never seen that red mark people were putting on foreheads on a real baby. Storkbites are so different from what I've seen people paint that I'd just as soon they didn't. I also don't like blemishes or rashes on reborns. I wouldn't have them on a real baby and it's permanent on a reborn.

I think the red creases thing was from back in the early days when we added color to creases to give them more depth. Sculpting is so different now that I don't think most sculpts really need that. Some of them are so beautiful right out of the box that I'm almost afraid to paint them.

I want to paint my Twins A & B as 28 weekers. First, I need to do a couple of prototypes to make sure I have the color right. And the hairline. It might be a couple of years before I'm ready for them. :lol:
Blessings!
Margie
Hushabye Babies
skhogan

Post by skhogan »

Sally - USA wrote:It is my personal preference to have babies - reborn, silicone, or OOAK that do not look like they have allergies.

I totally agree here Sally! You are not all wet! There seems to be an increase in "ultra realism" to the point that it does not look real. I worked in the newborn nursery for ten years during the first part of my nursing career. Some of the reborns I see look like "dead babies". It's scary! And another thing I do not like is the redness around the umbilicus. No normal...and looks like the baby is coming down with an infection! LOL!
chelle77

Post by chelle77 »

Interesting thread
I always worry that I don't have enough color on my dolls because I prefer a softer look I usually paint them that way but I can't help but notice how a lot of babies are oooohed and aaaahed over and for the most part are deeply mottled and in some cases have red lips
It is hard to please everyone so I paint to please my eye and hope that some have the same taste in painting as I do , lol