Carpet beetle danger to dolls????

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
cookielover

Carpet beetle danger to dolls????

Post by cookielover »

So I went to pick up one of my babies and noticed that her hat looked like this:

I was surprised since I had knitted that hat myself. So I decided something had eaten it.... and I soon discovered about 6 carpet beetle larvae on the dolls and on the floor nearby and on the wall nearby. I did research and found out that they don't bite humans or animals.... but the larvae ONLY munch on almost anything including HAIR (see mohair here)... and the other stuff you find along your baseboards and in your carpet. As adults they are small black beetles which lay the eggs and then the eggs hatch to the larvae who especially like wool and silk!!!! The adults come into the house from outside (or can be brought in of course on something). They also like old wood... and are a big problem for museums. Got the picture. I think they were in a closet in our bedroom since they like dark places... and since there were three doll beds with dolls sitting near that closet and here is the important thing I think: ALL HAD BLANKETS TOUCHING THE FLOOR!!! So first I undressed all the babies:

And now am washing all their clothes, blankets, etc..... big project since I keep the clothes etc. near the dolls :( Anyway thank goodness I kept some of the clothes in sealed plastic zip lock bags!!!!

So there is my story. Anyone experienced this before? Anyone have suggestions beside vacuum everything in sight and then I am getting something called Ecosmart spray from Home Depot. You can look on google etc. and find pictures of the larvae.
http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/2 ... tle-larva/
Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Dion

Re: Carpet beetle danger to dolls????

Post by Dion »

Quite awhile back someone received a doll that had carpet beetles in it. It's really not anyone's fault when things like that happen. I guess that's where the full silicone dolls would have the advantage except for their hair. It's certainly something to be watching out for. Poor babies!!

:foryou: Hugs, Dion
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I don't think they came in on a doll -- I think they came in from the yard outside and just decided to stay. They seem to like the hat only so far.... need to check my husband's wool shirts though. I actually don't mind insects etc.... just don't want them eating my stuff.... Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Californiateri

Post by Californiateri »

I've never had carpet beetle larvae, but moth larvae will do the same thing. I have to re-root the back of my Isabelle silicone's head because they ate the mohair down to the silicone before I noticed they were in the cradle. :evil:
teri - and my sweeties

TamaraLynn

Post by TamaraLynn »

Lavender is a natural beetle repellent! I used to include sachets with my dolls! :D
VISIT ME AT KENDRA'S GARDEN Babies
"Like" me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KendrasGarden
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

TamaraLynn wrote:Lavender is a natural beetle repellent! I used to include sachets with my dolls! :D
Will look into lavender. Terri, one of the dolls shows loss of mohair above the ear... so will reroot there. Hope all is going well for you. I haven't forgotten the knitting patterns just no time what with visiting Charles 4 times a week.... doesn't leave much room for other stuff..... but will happen someday! Hugs, Ruth
Californiateri

Post by Californiateri »

Will look into lavender. Terri, one of the dolls shows loss of mohair above the ear... so will reroot there. Hope all is going well for you. I haven't forgotten the knitting patterns just no time what with visiting Charles 4 times a week.... doesn't leave much room for other stuff..... but will happen someday! Hugs, Ruth
Don't worry about it Ruth. I haven't had time for any knitting lately anyway - still working on a big sewing project for some granddaughters for Christmas.
teri - and my sweeties

heatherisdolliecrazy

Post by heatherisdolliecrazy »

wow scary. Now i am gonna go nuts and check all my dolls, check the closets etc.
Melissas Babies

Post by Melissas Babies »

my Grandmother always had lavender sachets in the dresser drawers. she said it kept the bugs out!
Creations from the Heart
I take paypal
money orders
checks
layaways available

http://www.doll-fan.com/gallery2/v/melissasbabies/
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 154&type=1
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

Oh now I have the heebie jeebies. I just hate this kind of thing happening. What a hassle for you Ruth. It looks like you've got a good jump on them though. So sorry you're having to deal with this.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
LollipopCradle_Paula

Post by LollipopCradle_Paula »

Thanks for sharing this info. I didn't know anything about carpet beetles. :shock:
terrimeyers

Post by terrimeyers »

We had the bad in the girls room where they kept their entire wardrobe on the floor as well as rabbits that shed hair like crazy. Alcohol kills them. First I vacuumed really, really well. Laundered everything fabric in the room. Then I sprayed down everything with rubbing alcohol. I ignored the instructions to wear a mask. Don't do that, I burned my vocal cords and it took me a month to get my voice back.
Diatomaceous earth will also help keep them from coming back. Use food grade if you have pets. You could even dust this in your mohair to kill off any that may not be seen.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

terrimeyers wrote:We had the bad in the girls room where they kept their entire wardrobe on the floor as well as rabbits that shed hair like crazy. Alcohol kills them. First I vacuumed really, really well. Laundered everything fabric in the room. Then I sprayed down everything with rubbing alcohol. I ignored the instructions to wear a mask. Don't do that, I burned my vocal cords and it took me a month to get my voice back.
Diatomaceous earth will also help keep them from coming back. Use food grade if you have pets. You could even dust this in your mohair to kill off any that may not be seen.

Thanks so much for this information -- will try the alcohol CAREFULLY..... I have washed so many loads of clothes it is amazing! Thanks again, Ruth
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Yoicks, that is not a nice beetle.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

That is really weird and hope they don't head my way..............thanks for posting and also for the remedies...............Hugs, Kathy
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

So I have cleaned, washed, sprayed, and now going to redress all the affected babies. Here are two pictures of two different Helland babies (2 of the triplets). There is a small amount of damage on the third triplet. You can see where the carpet beetle larvae ate the mohair...but didn't get to the hats. The hats I have shown before were on two different babies... they were both bald. Ruth