Which is better on a fb silicone, fixed head or ball jointed

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
MarthasBabies

Which is better on a fb silicone, fixed head or ball jointed

Post by MarthasBabies »

I was thinking of getting another full body silicone and was wondering which one you DF ladies prefer. A fixed head or a ball jointed head? I have had both and really can't decide. I need some pros and cons to make up my mind. Thanks Martha
ImaniRose

Re: Which is better on a fb silicone, fixed head or ball joi

Post by ImaniRose »

Hi Martha! Ive had one with a fixed head and one without. I think the pros of a fixed head is the realism when you don't have a line going 360 around the babies neck. The cons however are that you can't turn the head to position the baby on their stomach or just to turn their head to the side. The Cons for me of a ball jointed neck are that you can see the line around the neck and that the head is a little bit too unstable (in my opinion) when being picked up. In the end I prefer a ball jointed neck but I have only experienced Claire Taylor's ball jointed neck so I do not know if they vary from artist to artist. Hope this helps :)
NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

Personally I would not buy a silicone doll with a fixed head. I like to be able to pose my baby in different positions which is very limited with a fixed head doll. I much prefer the ball jointed heads.
Hugs,
Nadia

Tina

Post by Tina »

I agree with Nadia, my baby has a ball jointed neck and I love having the option to move her head.
MonikaS

Post by MonikaS »

With a fixed head, you are limited. I think if you could find a ball jointed head that has a snug fit, that would be close to perfection. With the loose ball jointed head, it floats all around. Hate that! Wishing you the best! Seems artists are improving with each sculpt.
MonikaS
Inspired_Rebecca

Post by Inspired_Rebecca »

I prefer ball jointed head and armatures. FBS are less able to pose vs a cloth body so I want one that I can at least turn the head and move the arms somewhat.
Rebecca
MariaJose and Zu

Post by MariaJose and Zu »

For me everything depends on the artist who makes the doll.
Some artists make ball jointed heads that does not lose realism, but the work of others is not so good, then it is much better fixed neck. In a silicone ecoflex 20 or 30 the neck has sufficient mobility itself and looks real and enjoyable fixed.
I have had or have a few dolls with the two types of neck, and could only choose one or the other depending on the artist and seeing the type of neck that will have the doll.

:hug:

Zu, forever in my heart :heart:
just_Brenda

Post by just_Brenda »

I like both but if I had to pick I'd choose the fixed.
We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice we have .
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

I prefer jointed so it can pose more easily.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
lauraslilones

Post by lauraslilones »

I would say ball jointed for posing but the seam did bother me a bit. Fixed just didn't look right to me, posing is limited xx
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

I don't really have anything new to add, since the neck joints do vary quite a bit with each artist.
The posing flexibility is a plus, but the joint is an unfortunate visual on a FBS. If you like the very soft silicone, there is more flexibility, so it can offer the best of both (plus cuddle factor) since posing options are already more limited with fbs.
Striving for realism is my preference with fbs (wiith diaper-only) posing is so much better with any cloth body.
:D Jen xx
Rhonda W

Post by Rhonda W »

I have both but for me I will only get a fixed head on a full sculpt baby, your going for the most realistic and the jointed ones seem too dolly for me. I find the very soft silicone's heads will move enough for posing ability. I do find I love the armature in the arms only, for posability it's the best. If you can go to the doll show or know someone who lives fairly close then maybe you can see both and then make your decision as I think it becomes a very personal preference, we all like something different.
Have a GREAT day!!!!! :hi: