PAY PAL FEES

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
JaNan

Re: PAY PAL FEES

Post by JaNan »

I would think it would be to the recipient if it is insured...that is the case no matter how it is paid...
Dolly Hugs JaNan
Julie

Post by Julie »

Inspired_Rebecca wrote:I have a question that is somewhat related that I'm curious about and hopefully someone can answer -

If someone pays for a doll as Family and Friends and the doll is lost in the mail, who would get compensated by the Post Office and/or by PayPal - the buyer or the seller?
~According to PayPal, there is NO exchange of goods when paying by "Friends and Family." It is intended to simply be used for sending cash to a friend or family member, with no expectation for anything in return (for example: a birthday or graduation gift). Therefore, there is no buyer or seller protection offered. Both buyers and sellers can be scammed using this payment method.
JaNan

Post by JaNan »

that is right Julie...but I think she is asking about postal insurance claim if a package is lost...who recovers the claim money...it would not be a Paypal issue...it would be a postal insurance claim and the recipient would be paid...if it is a covered claim...but If you are dealing with someone you do not know well..such as a repeat customer...I would do a signature confirmation as proof of delivery (or not) :wink:
Dolly Hugs JaNan
Inspired_Rebecca

Post by Inspired_Rebecca »

I'm asking about both :)

The seller would have their money through PayPal and I would just then file a claim with the post office so it sounds like I just need to be sure the seller buys insurance when they ship to me.

Thank you :)
Rebecca
marilyn

Post by marilyn »

If you look around, there are plenty of gas stations that state cash is one price; paying with a credit card is another so essentially, they are asking the purchaser to pay the fee.

JaNan, I had to laugh at your comment.....
so really ..it is not that you all are against the buyer paying the fees...just don't TELL them they are paying the fees? :lol:
and its true......

I am sure there are lots of opinions on this one...
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Inspired_Rebecca wrote:I'm asking about both :)

The seller would have their money through PayPal and I would just then file a claim with the post office so it sounds like I just need to be sure the seller buys insurance when they ship to me.

In order to file a claim through the post office, you must be able to prove the value of the item through a receipt or invoice. How would that be proved if paid as a friends and family gift? The "gift" was money that was NOT to be sent for a good or service. So, you would not be able to mention the PayPal payment at all to process the claim unless you are willing to admit fraud. It's unlikely they will deal with you at all after that. :dunno:
If anyone has ever had to make a claim with the PO after paying as a gift, please let us know what happened. :)
erin1958

Post by erin1958 »

Ok. This stuff has always ryled me up too. I agree 100%. Put your costs in the price of the item and let it go. It's not the buyers responsibility to pay your PayPal fees and asking them to pay as Friends and Family is just WRONG!! If you are buying an item, something that has to be shipped, it's not to be paid F&F. Where would we all be if PayPal didn't exist? If everyone quite paying fees, they'd go bankrupt. Yes, it's expensive but they're providing a service. PayPal is a business too. Every time you make s false statement by calling something F&F when it's not, you are stealing. It also makes it a pain for the seller who then doesn't get the buyers address or that button to print a label.

Ok. Down off my horse but I agree Tracy!!!!!!
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Cheers, Erin
Julie

Post by Julie »

Julie wrote:
Inspired_Rebecca wrote:I have a question that is somewhat related that I'm curious about and hopefully someone can answer -

If someone pays for a doll as Family and Friends and the doll is lost in the mail, who would get compensated by the Post Office and/or by PayPal - the buyer or the seller?
~According to PayPal, there is NO exchange of goods when paying by "Friends and Family." It is intended to simply be used for sending cash to a friend or family member, with no expectation for anything in return (for example: a birthday or graduation gift). Therefore, there is no buyer or seller protection offered. Both buyers and sellers can be scammed using this payment method.
Shannon wrote:
Inspired_Rebecca wrote:I'm asking about both :)

In order to file a claim through the post office, you must be able to prove the value of the item through a receipt or invoice. How would that be proved if paid as a friends and family gift? The "gift" was money that was NOT to be sent for a good or service. So, you would not be able to mention the PayPal payment at all to process the claim unless you are willing to admit fraud. It's unlikely they will deal with you at all after that. :dunno:
If anyone has ever had to make a claim with the PO after paying as a gift, please let us know what happened. :)
~That's the way I view it too, Shannon and Erin. I think it's much easier to use the service as intended. Honesty is always the best policy. :D
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

erin1958 wrote:Ok. This stuff has always ryled me up too. I agree 100%. Put your costs in the price of the item and let it go. It's not the buyers responsibility to pay your PayPal fees and asking them to pay as Friends and Family is just WRONG!! If you are buying an item, something that has to be shipped, it's not to be paid F&F. Where would we all be if PayPal didn't exist? If everyone quite paying fees, they'd go bankrupt. Yes, it's expensive but they're providing a service. PayPal is a business too. Every time you make s false statement by calling something F&F when it's not, you are stealing. It also makes it a pain for the seller who then doesn't get the buyers address or that button to print a label.

Ok. Down off my horse but I agree Tracy!!!!!!
Yes! I would prefer to print directly through Paypal, especially on items that can be shipped first class mail. The USPS website doesn't let me print for those items, which means that I have to fill out the address(always worried I will copy it down wrong) and take it to the PO to get the postage. Plus, I don't get my discount for printing online. The discount is usually more than the PayPal fee. :?

From the Paypal website:

When you sell with us, you get some of the most competitive rates in the business. It’s 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction.
Deb17

Post by Deb17 »

Just a thought in response to the comparison with credit card fees. When a retailer charges extra for payment with a credit card, the buyer is paying for the convenience of using a credit card, they have a choice as to how they wish to pay and can avoid the extra cost by using a different payment method. When a seller charges pay pal fees and also requires the buyer to use pay pal, the buyer is not paying for their payment method of choice, they are paying for the seller's payment method of choice. And that doesn't seem fair.
Tru Born Bobbi

Post by Tru Born Bobbi »

Rebecca, nobody. There is no protection to receive money like that. That's why it is a risk to send money that way.
Tru Born Babies
Image[/url]
Kathleens_foreverbabies

Post by Kathleens_foreverbabies »

While I agree that it's the sellers' responsibility to pay PP fees and not the buyers, using PP isn't just a 'convenience' to get your money faster, it's required by Ebay. You cannot state that you will accept any other method of payment or they will take your auction off. Believe me, between Ebay fees (final fees are now 10% plus the cost of listing) and PP's 2.5-3% it ends up being quite a chunk of money. Not only does Ebay charge final fees of 10%, they charge the seller for the total sale INCLUDING SHIPPING :evil: ! How they can rationalize that they are entitled to a percentage of the shipping costs mystifies me, but I guess they don't have to rationalize it since they are the only game in town!
As far as insuring your sales to ship, I always do that at no cost to the buyer to cover myself in case of damage or loss. PP will always refund the buyer and if you don't insure you are simply out of luck. Now I'm talking about dolls not inexpensive items. I would rather shell out an additional 8-10.00 than being out $1,000! Especially if you are shipping overseas where you cannot track the item.
[/img]Image
Deb17

Post by Deb17 »

Ebay must have changed their policy because I remember seeing auctions where the seller clearly stated that they did not accept paypal. I didn't mean to offend.I was just making an observation.Sorry.
Kathleens_foreverbabies

Hi Deb, Ebay did change their policy, about 5 years ago. I used to be able to state that I would accept money orders but no more. I think they changed when Ebay and Paypal merged. Since they are no longer owned jointly maybe they will go back to allowing us to accept alternative payments. And, absolutely no offense taken :foryou:
[/img]Image
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

The seller if it was insured, not the buyer.
Beachwalker Mandy

Post by Beachwalker Mandy »

Seller needs to absorb the cost of doing business and adjust their price accordingly. I will not pay for an expensive item as friends and family. I want my buyer's protection in case something goes amiss. And I want my buyers to have it, too.
Ginny W

Post by Ginny W »

I don't think we have to list only Paypal now because ebay and Paypal officially broke apart from each other about a year ago.
Newest WIP baby at..
Loving Touch Nursery
Visit all her photo album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/ginny.westley/ ... 317&type=3
Kathleens_foreverbabies

I hope that's the case Ginny, I will gladly accept a money order and not have to pay PP's fees!
[/img]Image
margaretsbabies

Post by margaretsbabies »

tracey427 wrote:If this has been brought up before I apologize and I know not everyone is going to agree, but I am seeing more and more sellers asking the buyers to pay the Pay Pal fees. I don't agree with this and I think it's wrong. (and it's ok if you don't agree with me I won't be offended. Opinions make us each individuals)

All retail stores have to pay fees for every credit card or debit card transaction. It varies depending on the type or brand of credit card. American Express fees I happen to know are higher than many other credit cards and that's why a lot of vendors don't except American Express. How would any of you feel if you went into let's say Walmart and paid with your debit card and Walmart said we won't except your credit card unless you pay the fees the credit card company charges us? Now agreed the fees aren't as high as paypal fees on retail transactions but if you use your debit card or credit card for every purchase (which I know my husband and I use our cc for everything and p ay it off each month for the airline miles) so let's say the fee is $1.00 per transaction. I know we probably average at least 10 a week. So that's $10 a week x 52 weeks. That would be $520.00. Some weeks I know it's more, like when we are traveling or during holidays or birthdays for our grands. Would you just say "ok no problem happy to do it."??? I would think not. So retail stores just add the cost of the fees into their prices. I am not just saying these things off the top of my head. I did accounting for 25 plus years for many different types of businesses as well as I have a degree in retail management.

I have to say it annoys me for the seller to ask me to pay their fees. If you are a business and you file taxes you can write your paypal fees off of your taxes. However, if you are just someone who sells occasionally why not just add the fees into the cost you ask for and not even mention having the buyer pay the fees? I am not sure exactly what the paypal fees are 3-4% (is that right) So let's say you are asking $1000.00 for a doll. Well instead just ask for $1040.00 Also asking someone to pay family in friends unless you are truly friends with the person I think is unsafe for buyer. If something happens to the item in shipping the buyer will have no recourse or for that matter what if the seller doesn't send the item at all??? I don't know about anyone else but I can't afford to shell out $50 let alone $1000 then have the item damaged or not received at all.

I am not pointing this at anyone at all. I have just been seeing it on here and Facebook for almost every transaction lately and it bothers me.

I would love to hear your opinions. All are welcome.

I agree...
DanalynnBabyLove

Post by DanalynnBabyLove »

This should be made into a sticky or something...? Because this topic gets address frequently throughout the years. :mrgreen: