Discussion Topic: Who have you told about your reborns?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
LittleTykesReborns

Discussion Topic: Who have you told about your reborns?

Post by LittleTykesReborns »

QOTD: Have you told any friends and family about your babies? Are they supportive? Do you only show them photos, or have they held the actual babies before?
My AOTD: I am extremely picky about who I choose to tell about the babies. The reason I bring this discussion up is because today I told a friend about the babies. She's especially in love with the photos I showed her of Simon, and wants to meet all three of mine (Kenna, Rhydre and Simon). It was great to tell her, even though I talked her ear off for over a half hour.

I would LOVE to hear your experiences!!

Beckie

Re: Discussion Topic: Who have you told about your reborns?

Post by Beckie »

Pretty much everyone who really knows me, knows that I make and collect reborns and other dolls. I have had both positive and negative reactions, provided stand-ins for Baby Jesus in our church Christmas programs, had military police officers (and one police dog!) mistake them for real babies, taken them on vacation with me and flown with them. My family has mixed reactions. My son and his wife have gotten me things for the babies as gifts, one of my daughters likes them while my other daughter doesn't really care for them, hubby is always the first one to mention them when someone comes over and seems proud of those I have reborned myself. I have been a part of the dolly world since 1999, my babies are a part of who I am and if people don't like them, that's their problem, not mine!!
Becca

Post by Becca »

I've told some friends. It depends on the person. You can tell if some people would not care or just think it was weird.

As far as family my mom and aunt know how much I like them. My grandfather has held one for a picture :lol: and my older cousin makes jokes when he sees them.
:foryou:
MonikaS

Post by MonikaS »

Everyone knows I love dolls and reborned for myself. The one thing that I wish that they did not know, or talk about is the cost of them. They seem to think that every problem that comes up in life has an easy answer... just sell your doll.
Last edited by MonikaS on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonikaS
ABabyC

Post by ABabyC »

Well for me my collection is quite personal and no one really knows besides my mother and boyfriend, who are very supportive ;)
Desireeloves

Post by Desireeloves »

Most people in my life know, but naturally it's not every ones cup of tea... I receive most support at home with my fiance.... either way, it doesn't stop me from enjoying it 100% :)
Barbydoll

Post by Barbydoll »

I have been collecting dolls since 1991. I worked at an adult sheltered workshop for MR/DD for over 25 years. I would often take a new baby with me to work & show her/him around. I had very few negative responses. When reborns came out, I received many OOWS & AWWS & had to make whoever "borrowed" my doll to tell them I knew where they worked & they had better return it by days end! LOL!! Occasionally I would get someone, usually a guy & only one time a lady that said, they look WAY TOO REAL & they freak me out! I just made sure when I was showing the baby around that I skipped that person! Two of the guys who said they were freaked out later asked me where to find a baby like it as they wanted to get one for a present. I always watched & it always amazed me whether it was a guy or lady that they always held the baby like a REAL baby & saw them rocking a patting them, too. Since I don't have any silicones in my collection, I never had to worry about a reborn being damaged. I have since got brave & took them out into the 'regular world" on a day trip & have gotten nothing but positive comments. Like someone said doll collecting is just a part of me & I don't worry how anyone views my hobby! When someone comes to our home, my DH always says, Oh, you have to be sure & look at Barby's baby nursery! I always try to keep some reborns that I am willing to give one to them so they can have some one to cuddle, too!! It's wonderful to share my love of dolls with others, too!
Great topic!!
Have a Wonderful Day!!!
"Our 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration"
Jenny5

Post by Jenny5 »

I love to hear of the positive experiences sharing dolls since the experiences sound so fun and I appreciate these braver souls improving the perception for all of us collectors!
I am very private with my dolly passion and I wish I weren't so chicken, so I'd be free to enjoy them more (openly).

I tuck them behind locked doors when visitors come to my house, and I have only told a handful of family members, which is why DF is such a fun outlet for me!
My husband and daughter are very supportive; I don't subject my sons, in fear of repelling them a bit. I shared with sister and sister-in-law and was surprised by both responses: sister more positive than I expected (she's never been a doll person) and sister-in-law more negative (even though she's a baby-lover :roll: ) I don't admit the extent of my collecting to anyone but my husband and daughter, as my collection has grown...
I agree with MonicaS that the cost is a big part of my concern in sharing- I don't want people to criticize the expense (even though it is not their concern). I know that when I first started collecting my understanding of costs and value left me wondering why anyone would spend over $300 on a doll... so I appreciate why many won't "get it". Mainly I just want to share with people who love the hobby, so I don't risk having them (as a dolly friend's child says) "bum my joy" :heart:
:D Jen xx
~Valerie~Anne~

Post by ~Valerie~Anne~ »

If people come to my house and see the dolls then I tell them about my hobby. Otherwise, I usually don't mention it. My family doesn't really understand why I love them, which is why it's nice to have a forum where I've met great people who genuinely understand the passion!
Emma Rose
Monique_B

Post by Monique_B »

I think I tell more people these days than I used to because of my nursery believe it or not. It's odd, but having the room set up and how I went about making the theme of the nursery (antique/vintage/shabby chic) makes me enjoy showing it off.

In the beginning I was ashamed of telling people and was nervous about reactions. But over the years I've gained some confidence and just don't care how some people feel about it.

I'm lucky where my mom collected and used to reborn so I have her for support, my kids and my husband likes them (he loves visiting my nursery and looking around), most of my friends know and have their select favorite dolls. The woman I take care of isn't a fan but she supports me in MY love for them. She doesn't want to see them in person but she loves seeing pictures of the nursery set up and new things I buy to add to it.

I've just come to the conclusion these days that if I tell people and they aren't a fan, that's ok. Because not everyone agrees on everything. I don't bring people into my nursery because unless people ask, I don't volunteer it. Sometimes it gets lonely just enjoying it by myself but other times I really like having my own little slice of heaven with my babies :)
tixiepixi_linda

Post by tixiepixi_linda »

All my family know. All tolerate,some with raised eyes :roll:
My Husband is the most understanding one, well, he lives with them too :D

Neighbours and friends don't know the extent (doll room ect) but I do have Milou Wosnjuk in the living room as the doll room is full
x Hugs x
Linda

Madison by Andrea Arcello