Why is it so hard...

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
debi reborn classics

Why is it so hard...

Post by debi reborn classics »

Why is it so hard to get a bid on my reborn babies???? :dunno: I think Kami Rose is adorable and I haven't had a bid yet. I get so depressed when I think I have finally gotten one that will sell well, and then nothing. :-(

I've seen other auctions where a reborn will get bids right from the beginning. What am I doing wrong??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291943150698?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my auction?
MonikaS

Re: Why is it so hard...

Post by MonikaS »

She is very beautiful! Do not loose heart! I think so many are now thinking about Christmas. When people get their tax money, sales seems to go up. Sending you a hug!
MonikaS
debi reborn classics

Thank you, Monika. (((Hugs)))
Pat in Alabama

Post by Pat in Alabama »

I think she is beautiful. I love her coloring and her hair. I agree with Monika. I think people are thinking about shopping for others for Christmas at this time. I don't see anything that I would change about this baby. She is precious. :heart:
Wishing you a blessed day.
debi reborn classics

I think she is beautiful. I love her coloring and her hair. I agree with Monika. I think people are thinking about shopping for others for Christmas at this time. I don't see anything that I would change with this baby. She is precious. :heart:

Thank you so much, Pat. I have been in this business many many years and lately it has really slowed down. It seems that only a few get the bids that others dream of. Sigh. I hate to complain. I really, really do. But, for once, I'd like to get a decent price without giving one away. I know others are in the same boat as I am. Long ago, when someone would list a reborn, we would get encouraging comments sent through eBay. It seems that has gone along the wayside also. I try to send kind comments to others auctions to let them know their dolls are appreciated and admired. I don't even get that anymore. I don't understand it! What is happening in the reborn world????
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I'm a very critical person - I always see things that are wrong, like the glass is half-empty rather than half-full!! I went and looked at your listing and the first thing I thought was "$695 opening bid!! Dang it, I can't afford that". Then I went and looked at the rest of the listing and it is beautifully done for an amazingly beautiful baby. She is a treasure. By the time I got to the end I thought that $695 wasn't really too much for her. She is definitely worth that, and more. I wish I could buy her. However, perhaps if you started with a bit of a lower opening bid so viewers wouldn't get sticker shock when they first look at the listing, then you might start a bidding war. Maybe??? I'm not an expert.
But I do know when I see a beautiful baby, and Kami Rose is one little treasure.
debi reborn classics

Thank you, Brooke. What would be a reasonable price for Kami?
I went and bought two very cute outfits to go home with her when she sells. Not cheap, either. lol
debi reborn classics

To be honest. Years ago if you listed your reborn with a higher bid...you were more than likely to sell. Then..eBay changed and now the bids are all over the board. I listed her at a price I would accept for her. When you add a buy it now..you have to list a price actually higher than what you expect or eBay won't let you add that. Does that make sense? I was hoping and crossing my fingers someone would buy her with the buy it now. (I'm opening my soul here, It's embarrassing..but, I am. lol ) I would actually like to get the opening bid on her and would hate to list her lower than that.
georgeanne

Post by georgeanne »

Your baby is beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

I agree with Brook. That is after trolling through the completed and sold listings. Almost ALL of the babies that sold started out at a much lower opening bid which then started bidding wars. Most all of the dolls that didn't sell the bids started at about your opening bid price and higher. It sucks, but it seems to me it is much harder to sell reborn dolls now.
BRONX & COLT BORN 10/16/2015 Our Grandbabies, Forever in Our Hearts.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." Alice in Wonderland
debi reborn classics

Thank you, Georgeanne.
debi reborn classics

I know a lot of people start looking at the reborns listed on eBay from the highest price to the lowest...just to root out the not so well done ones. I'm afraid if I start her bid too much lower..she won't get the 'lookers' browsing through.
izzy

Post by izzy »

I agree with the others that the starting price may be too high. NOT saying that your baby isn't worth that, because she definitely is, but when people are scrolling through eBay they usually look at price before the baby. I'd lower the starting bid a couple hundred dollars. It's definitely a risk, even more so with the flooded market, but I think usually people start out looking for a deal and then get sucked into a bidding war.

Another option would be to just try a buy it now only? Not sure how much luck people have had with that but maybe it's worth a try?
tiffanybw

Post by tiffanybw »

I haven't read all the replies in detail but I agree with the person who said that most likely it is because of Christmas. Because for me, I've seen so many babies that I love (and Laura Lee Eagles is my favorite artist for the vinyl reborns and I love her Kami Rose), but I just can't right now. I've got 4 children (2 of whom are not even children anymore), and I have to give all 4 of them the Christmas that they deserve.

HA! :roll: Or maybe not the Christmas they deserve, because if I did that, they'd all be getting coal in their stockings. :wink: So, I guess I need to give them the Christmas that they *think* they deserve. After all, I am the proud mama of 4 millennial's (is 10 still a millennial?), and they are used to getting a trophy for just showing up... Or even if they don't they are still breathing and so they deserve a trophy for that too! :trout: on me! Just kidding, as my children are my EVERYTHING! Even more important than my dolly collecting hobby (though only by a human hair... lucky for them the mohair didn't win out) :mrgreen: .

For what it's worth, because I'm only a collector and not an artist... I genuinely think she is beautiful and perfect in every way. This is a difficult time of year, unless the person you are buying for loves reborn babies. :) I would say, and keep in mind that I don't know all that goes into the process of reborning or how much the kit plus the supplies to reborn plus the layette plus what eBay and PayPal take... don't know what all that adds up to. So I would say that I can tell you for sure she is a very well done baby. You have got talent and I wish I could do what you do! And so don't undersell. Meaning, if you can lower her starting price a bit and see where that takes you (but only if that leaves room with some profit in it as obviously you worked hard and put a lot of time and effort into her). Or you could try listing her as a "buy it now" with an option for offers, and then decide from there.

I don't know how other's are, but sometimes for me, when I fall in love with a baby... just that I hate bidding because I can't be sure that I will win and so I won't put my full heart into the baby until/unless I win the auction. If there is buy it now... I like that better. Not only that, but I never submit an "offer". If I really love the baby, that means that I also love the artist and respect their work, and I feel like they should be paid for their hard work and effort. Because it is the artist (the painting/rooting/layette and presentation) truly, that brings the baby to life and gives the baby his/her personality.

Hugs! :hug:

Edited to say: I am pretty new at all of this and I didn't know that people would send encouraging messages to others on eBay. Of course I know that is done here. And so maybe from now on when I see a baby I love and appreciate, I'll start doing that. I'm always on eBay in my spare time looking at the reborns up for sale/auction. And just so you know, yours was ALREADY on my watch list. Because what I do (even if I am not planning to buy, I will watch the ones I really like and then will see if the auction ends and they are relisted for a lower starting price). I know, bad. But I am being honest. :oops:

My sweet nephew Jeremiah, 1 month old now!
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

It has to be Christmas.............that baby of yours is totally amazing...............she looks like an angel and If I had the money I would get her.............and I don't even collect reborns but she is stunning.....................You did an awesome job on her and good luck with finding a wonderful new Mommy...................Hugs, Kathy
DMKreiser

Post by DMKreiser »

Your baby is truly amazing!! Christmas is probably a big reason she isnt selling. She is really beautiful!
debi reborn classics

Thank you for all of the input! ((((Hugs)))

I really do appreciate it and thought on it long and hard last night. Today, I decided to lower the opening bid and also to drop the buy it now price. Please keep your fingers crossed with me that this works!
Judith19

Post by Judith19 »

I am on my second round of listing a baby on eBay. I've had over 600 views and finally have two bids and 20 watchers. I really think people want the best, but are not willing to pay for it. I tried first with a BIN, but that didn't work, so then I went to an auction format with a little more action and a lowered price. I feel your pain so I wish us both "Good Luck"~~~ :heart: :heart:
AZRAYA $350.00 SOLD

TinyTimms_Doris

Post by TinyTimms_Doris »

She is stunning. Really. Her hair is amazing, so lifelike. Her lip color is spot on and the posing is great too. I have been waiting for Christmas to list as I thought there would be sales from people buying presents but now after hearing your story I'm not so sure..... I guess we will just both have to keep our fingers crossed and if they don't sell then relist after the holidays and hope they sell then. But be assured that it isn't your baby or listing. They are perfect!!
debi reborn classics

Judith, I have also had to relist several times on some of my babies. It can really get you down. Good luck to you on your auction!

Doris, thank you! I hope when you list yours that they sell super fast for you! Good luck!
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Debi, I just went back to her auction again, and I fell in love with her a bit more. BUT I notice there are 16 Kami Rose babies for sale right now. There is one that is quite well done for just $111.50, with free shipping! And she has a bit more of a layette than you are offering. It might be interesting to take yours off Ebay for a week or so and watch that one to see how high her bid goes. Also watch some of the others to get a feel for how much people are willing to spend for Kami.
Have you received any awards for your reborning? If so, be sure to mention those, or any reborn organizations you belong to (if any).
Will she have a Certificate of Authenticity? Include that.
Increase her layette a bit. Not expensive stuff, but a little something more.
Add "a little extra surprise"
I want that baby, but Christmas is coming and its time to think of gifts for others, so I have to put a hold on my spending.
And if at the end all that doesn't work just send her to me :lol: !!! She would be well loved. Oh well, I can dream I guess . . .