Is it worth it?

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
ABabyC

Is it worth it?

Post by ABabyC »

Hi guys and girls :)
I have fallen for a gorgeous little reborn, but she's a little out of my price range, so I'm not sure if she would be worth it. Or to put it in other words, she's a lot more than what I would usually spend on a reborn. I guess I'm kind of a cheapskate when it comes to vinyl dolls since you can find some amazing deals sometimes and on top of that I feel like silicones and ooaks are a lot more valuable and most of the time I would rather save my hard earned money for one of those types of babies.

So I thought I would start a discussion. How do you know if a doll is worth it to you? I'm not only speaking about reborns, but just dolls in general.

:D
NanaCarolyn

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by NanaCarolyn »

With any purchase I go by how badly do I want that baby and then consider the quality of that particular baby. Most really good reborns are spendy otherwise you take your chances on lower priced but lousy photos. Babies you want really bad for a long time are always worth whatever you spend on them. Usually if I'm purchasing on a whim, I will probably regret the purchase even if I didn't pay a lot. Tough question to answer.
Happy Dolly Days,

Hugs,
Carolyn

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK »

If I really love a doll I will buy it. Unfortunately most reborns do not have a great resale value. So be prepared to take a loss if you decide to sell her later.
Hugs,
Nadia

MariaJose and Zu

Post by MariaJose and Zu »

Hi Anna,

I think only you have the answer about whether this baby is for you or not. But if this baby makes your heart pound and you die of love for her, then go ahead. If you are not sure at all my advice is not to buy.
Personally reborn are not my cup of tea, I prefer silicone or ooak, even resin. But it is not a question of value, but of your tastes. When I buy a doll it's because I love it, never think about its resale value. And unfortunately sometimes I make mistakes, but generally and on all walks of life I always prefer little but good.

:hug:

Zu, forever in my heart :heart:
LollipopCradle_Paula

Post by LollipopCradle_Paula »

If you start to think you're crazy because you are thinking about a doll all the time, that doll might be your baby. :baby:
If no one else buys a baby that you know is amazing, apparently it is supposed to be yours. When you keep "hearing" a baby call out Mommy and no one else recognizes it, it must be your baby (or maybe you are a little crazy :headspin: ) . And when the seller can do a layaway so you can get YOUR baby, it is meant to be for sure. I think you have to determine whether or not the baby is the one for you and not worry about the value of it on the market.
I have an amazing baby on layaway now. I have no idea what her resell value would be, but I honestly don't care. I don't plan to ever sell her. She is exactly what I have been looking for and the seller/artist is awesome and working with me. I am so thrilled about my new baby. :)
Sewingroom57

Post by Sewingroom57 »

Hi l agree with Maria and Paula,l never buy with what it might sell for later,if l want it l will have it.
Dion

Post by Dion »

:D Maybe. I never know if a doll is REALLY worth it until it gets home. Photos can be quite misleading.....or not!! I have had a few dolls that I didn't pay very much for, that turned out to be real treasures. If you think that you would really love that dream baby, but it's over your budget, I think that I would take the chance. I would never buy a doll thinking that I will get my money back if I sell it. That is a rare occurrence in my opinion. Buy because you love the doll. Best of luck! :toast:

:foryou: Hugs, Dion
lauraslilones

Post by lauraslilones »

If the baby makes your heart skip a beat then its meant for you. I look within budget a lot of the time but if I see a baby that makes my tummy flutter I will pay anything!! xx
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

I have spent money on two reborns I never in a million years thought I would do... but they are pulled at my heart strings and are gorgeous.. well one hasn't made it here yet but I know she will be... I know I would never recoupe what I paid but I don't plan on selling them anyway. I will show pics of both soon when the second baby gets here!!!
tuckerk

Post by tuckerk »

I have never bought a doll to make money off of them..............when I fall in love I just want it................Good thing because most babies depreciate.....................go for it if you love this baby...........Hugs, KAthy
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

When I think about buying a reborn, even a reasonably priced one, I find myself thinking of other "more important" things we need the money for; like groceries or car repair or all the other necessities, although I really never buy a doll out of our joint $$$. Sometimes I weigh the price of the doll against something more fun like a pretty new sweater or new jeans or a gift for someone. I have to balance the price there out of my "dolly dollars" in my limited personal mad money. Sorry, but I'm a realist. And I know I can never, ever afford a silicone (well, maybe some day, but not for a long time).