FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY BABY DOLL STORY!

#1 Rule - Play Nice PLEASE!!
#2 Rule - This is not a forum for sales or wanted....please keep it to just general doll discussion.
LindaBforbabies

Re: FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY BABY DOLL STORY!

Post by LindaBforbabies »

That is so funny... when my grandson would sleep over... he never wanted any dolls in the room where he slept... they really spooked him...but only at night... some people have huge phobias... my son has always hated clowns... thanks for sharing your story...
hookedoncrochet

Post by hookedoncrochet »

I had to re re read it, feel sorry for the buy have a couple of things that frighten me to
Susan@childrenoftheheart

Post by Susan@childrenoftheheart »

Okay -- this guy was really funny -- he wasn't sweating or freaking out or having an anxiety attack -- he just wanted me to move the baby. If it would have been serious, he would have left and I would have kindly suggested that he call the company to have someone else come out. I tried to comfort him. I only had to remove the baby and put her in another room. He was fine after that! What is the weirdest part to me -- he isn't afraid at all of haunted houses whose "dolls" come to life and scare the heck out of you.
~Marilyn~

Post by ~Marilyn~ »

:lol:
I used to keep most of my dolls in the living room in a wall to wall unit. You couldn't miss it as it's the first room in the house. I have one of those Castro convertible sofas that I would open for overnight guests and no one wanted to sleep there unless I covered the wall unit.
Love and hugs,
~Marilyn~
Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Oh my brother is the same way... He cannot stand looking at dolls... He will not go into my doll room and if he stays the night I have to remove any doll that might be in my other guest room.. Men are just funny LOL
~Marilyn~

Post by ~Marilyn~ »

As a little girl I was terrified of the Jesus picture on the wall at my grandmas. It was the kind that the eyes followed you and would change to a bleeding heart if you look at it from the side. It had all us grandchildren on our best behavior! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love and hugs,
~Marilyn~
Kelliegirl

Post by Kelliegirl »

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hugs, Kellie :D

~*Precious Baby Girl*~
DianeLovesBabies

Post by DianeLovesBabies »

I am still laughing. I also have people come into my home and tell me that the babies make them feel uncomfortable. Made me feel horrible because I love them so much. Thought it was me being strange but now it was them. I feel sorry for those people but your story is just so funny. Now if it was a snake, it would be me not wanting to go back inside. Thank you for sharing this with us Susan. Now I do not feel so bad about my doll collection.

Hugs,
Diane
Be happy and play with dolls!
Sandis Doll House

Post by Sandis Doll House »

:lol: :lol: :lol: My son in law is TERRIFIED of my dolls and calls my doll room a baby morgue.
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

I also have more compassion than laughter about this man or anyone who is uncomfortable or afraid of something. To share this story and find humor in it is very bothersome to me. Even if he is not reading it, it is a form of bullying -- making fun of something he has no control over. Having the experience with him is one thing but to make fun of him and his feelings in such a public way is something else that to me is unacceptable. JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

cookielover wrote:I also have more compassion than laughter about this man or anyone who is uncomfortable or afraid of something. To share this story and find humor in it is very bothersome to me. Even if he is not reading it, it is a form of bullying -- making fun of something he has no control over. Having the experience with him is one thing but to make fun of him and his feelings in such a public way is something else that to me is unacceptable. JMO Ruth

I'm afraid that's how I took this story too. I do always love to try and see the humor in things and I wasn't actually there to see what the goings on was - but it just seemed what was being described was a man that was truly afraid of the dolls so much so that he wanted to back out of a job. I have run into people who were creeped out or even mad about my dolls but if I were to ever run into someone who had that kind of fear, I would immediately put the doll away and not tease. But only because I have a phobia myself. When the situation occurs which triggers my phobia, it's an awful feeling. You freeze and your body almost feels like it's trying to shut down. Your fight or flight instinct kicks in. I have a fear of an odd thing so people I tell to joke and laugh at me which is fine when I'm not experiencing it. But if someone were to tease me while I was experiencing it - it would be awful.

I was not there so I really can't know or say how it went. But as it was described in the op, I found the laughter in this thread very uncomfortable. :(

I will get backlash, I suppose. And I could just ignore this thread, I know. But just also wanted to raise a bit of awareness that if you run into anyone who has a strong fear like that, it would be much better to not tease them about it. At least not while they're actually experiencing it. :grouphug:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

Susan@childrenoftheheart wrote:Okay -- this guy was really funny -- he wasn't sweating or freaking out or having an anxiety attack -- he just wanted me to move the baby. If it would have been serious, he would have left and I would have kindly suggested that he call the company to have someone else come out. I tried to comfort him. I only had to remove the baby and put her in another room. He was fine after that! What is the weirdest part to me -- he isn't afraid at all of haunted houses whose "dolls" come to life and scare the heck out of you.

Glad he was good after that. :D Fear is such a weird thing. I'm not at all afraid of horror movies or any of that 'real' fear stuff either. My fear is a much more common thing. I don't know why brains work weird like that.
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
Carolr

Post by Carolr »

I don't feel Susan was bullying at all. If you know Susan, you know she does not have a bullying bone in her body. She was telling the story as it happened. I find humor in the way it happened, not in his phobia but I don't think it was Susan's intentions to bully him or laugh at him.

I had a similar experience when we moved and had a painter touching up the walls. I has a cradle by the window and the sun was shining in and he came and told me he thought the baby was sweating. When I told him it wasn't a real baby, he said it freaked him out and did not like it. I found it funny and we laughed about it later.

My daughters friends are afraid of my dolls and they just don't go in the room where they are.
:idea: Hugs, Carol
Court_LLRN

Post by Court_LLRN »

No I don't think Susan was actually bullying. Only she knew the whole situation but it was more how the original post was laid out and the laughter that followed with everyone is what made me uncomfortable, personally.
I was just taking the opportunity to point out taking care if anyone ever runs into situations of real fear with dolls. There are definitely people out there with legit phobias of them.
Also, Carol, your signature photo always makes me swoon! I love love love Kimi!!! :heart:
Social Media:
Court LLRN Creations
cookielover

Post by cookielover »

Look up Uncanny Valley on the internet or on DF to understand what could be going on with people who do not feel comfortable around our babies. Neither Courtney nor myself are calling anyone a bully. We are simply trying to make people more aware that so called humor can be very harmful when it perpetuates laughing at people and their differences. It is not funny to be afraid of something or to react to something that you cannot control -- i.e. fear, tic, stutter, walking, thinking, etc. -- and to relate this episode under the "Funny Funny Funny" makes a sad situation even sadder. JMO Ruth
Love is not defined by what the other can give you, but who they allow you to be.
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

Susan, that was a great experience for you. Not too sure about the man, however. I think he may have really been spooked by the whole thing. I have a grandson that first saw my dolls at age 9 and now at age 15, he still won't sleep with babies in the room, so he sleeps elsewhere in the house. We don't even mention it to him.

I had an experience just the opposite of that at my house. I have my Shar (Sharlamae) sitting in a baby circle that goes around her and have her in the living room, but very visable from the front door. One day our mailman was delivering a package to us and I saw him looking in the front door and just looking at Shar. He thought she was real at first then said she was really something special. Now when he knows he has a doll to deliver to me, he brings it at the beginning of his route rather than have me wait. :hug: :heart:
HUGS, LAINEY
[image]11057[/image]
Dottie in Virginia

Post by Dottie in Virginia »

Those fellows will never forget going to your house. I can't imagine how you could keep a straight face in front of them. I laughed so hard at your true story that I darn near fell out of my wheelchair. Thanks for sharing.
tiffanybw

Post by tiffanybw »

sallybabyofmine wrote:Susan, that is sooo funny! It amazes me that grown people can actually be frightened of a sweet, realistic baby doll. If they were something out of the ordinary like a traumatized, dead looking baby, maybe, but not beautiful reborns awake or asleep! This reminds me of my experience...
Last summer I was baking doll parts in my Nu Wave oven on the front porch when my doorbell rang. I opened the door to a very tall Fed Ex man who looked as white as a ghost! He had bright red hair and the longest and whitest legs I have ever seen in those dingy white Fed Ex shorts! He stood there saying nothing for the longest time and then he finally handed me the thing you sign for a package, handed me the box and backed down the steps as he glanced at the oven with the baby parts in it and RAN to his truck! I laughed so hard all day. That poor guy was traumatized by those baby arms and legs cooking away on my porch!
Susan... your story :lol: :lol: :lol: !

And Sally, this one also. :lol: What did that delivery guy think... that you had chopped up babies and were cooking them? And if he did, wow, pretty brave of him to go ahead and knock on the door and deliver the package! If I were to come across something I "genuinely" felt to be nefarious, I would IMMEDIATELY turn tail, run, and then it would have been the police knocking at your door because I would have called them. So he must have known it wasn't real baby parts.

As far as the people who are concerned about laughing about this; about it being a mean, bullying thing... I don't think so. I am a person who does suffer from a true phobia... spiders. And I also suffer with panic attacks. I have been diagnosed with panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. So I know what the feeling of "true panic attack" is like. It's no funny thing, I truly feel like I am actually DYING, and numerous times they have been so bad that I ended in the ER, once even called an ambulance.

^^^ is how one knows if a true phobia, or just a thing that creeps a person out or makes them feel uncomfortable.

In this situation, this man didn't have a true phobia. Sure, the dolls creeped him out. But he himself was laughing and joking about his "phobia". If it would have been a situation where he was well and truly thrown into a panic attack over it, Susan would have known by his reactions, and he just wouldn't have come into the house at all and like Susan said, just called someone else to deliver the furniture. My guess is, is that if that man read this thread, he would be :rofl: right along with the rest of us. I don't know that "for sure". But gauged by his reactions when the situation happened, this is something that definitely creeps him out, but NOT a true phobia. He was laughing and joking also, both with Susan and his partner who was teasing him about a baby being in a coffin downstairs. :P

Being that I suffer with actual panic disorder, I know just how horrible true panic... fight or flight... can't breathe... heart literally beating at 200 beats per minute, feeling like you will pass out and/or die... and if feeling like that BELIEVE ME, you will NOT be joking with others around you. In fact, others around you WILL THINK you are actually having a heart attack or some other sort of medical emergency and in danger of death.

So just saying... lighten up! This man was not feeling that way. And it is not "mean" to laugh about the situation. My own husband is like this delivery man. I LOVE my dolls but him... not so much. He thinks they are creepy and when I first started collecting them he would CONSTANTLY remark on my "dead babies", how weird they are, how could anyone actually like these babies and spend so much money on them, and on, on, on to the point where I was the one who was actually offended and hurt (not him). It's not that my husband has phobia to dolls, but just that he finds the entire thing weird and creepy. My dolls don't send him to the ER though, don't impact him in that way.

We've now come to a mutual understanding... he is "into" certain things... such as technology, having every Apple product known to mankind, having "perfect" picture and sound with special speaker systems for "optimal movie/television viewing", etc. He loves this kind of stuff and doesn't find it a waste of money. For me, I get irritated with him because every time we go to watch a movie or television together it literally takes 45 minutes for my husband to "set up everything just right". I'm like... "Whatever! I can see the picture. I can hear the sound. It's great and so STOP fiddling with all this stuff and just WATCH it!" Sometimes I feel like doing this :bash: to him. However, I don't. I am understanding of my husband's interests and hobbies, and respectful of them. And he of mine. It's ok that we "tease" each other about each other's idiosyncrasies, as long as we don't cross a line to where it becomes disrespectful. I love him, what I consider to be him, flaws and all. He loves me the same way, and is now very supportive of my love for doll collecting. :heart:

This world has become WAY too PC. Can't do or say anything without offending someone or hurting someones feelings. All of us, meaning everyone here in the USA, and in the world... we need to "get over it". We are adults, and if everything is always so scrutinized, so serious... just that there won't ever be ANY laughter, and we'll ALL be miserable. Look at all the idiots out there protesting, rioting, hurting each other and others in the name of "peace, love, harmony". What they themselves do is EXACTLY that they preach against! Such hypocrites, and not the way I want to live. If other's want to live in misery like that, their choice, as long as they don't cross a line (like they are doing) and hurt others or infringe upon others rights. I try and love everyone and not my job to judge any other person, for I am a flawed human being and no better or worse than any other flawed human being. So I try my best (for sure I fail at times... that being human thing again); to love and leave the judging to God.

PS: Since I've started my doll collection, I've discovered that my youngest daughter Angelina is also a person who is "creeped out" by them. I don't get it and love them so much. They bring me peace and ease my anxiety. Ang is ok with my closed eyed babies. She doesn't like the open eyed ones though. She says wherever she walks she feels like their eyes are following her and that they are staring at her. She wants nothing to do with the open eyed ones, so much so that she has now taken her 3 American Girl dolls (she used to LOVE), and relegated them to the basement because she says that she feels like they are staring at her while she is sleeping and they will wake up and stab her. Lol! I have assured her that will NOT happen. None the less they are still in the basement. And that's ok. To each their own. :grouphug:

My sweet nephew Jeremiah, 1 month old now!
noniesgirl - Gina

Post by noniesgirl - Gina »

Court_LLRN wrote:I do find this story a bit funny but I also have to say as someone with an actual phobia (not of dolls, of course), I really do also pity him. Now people can claim to have a phobia and it's just being really nervous or creeped out. But if it's a real phobia - it's truly enough to give you a panic attack.
Tho it sounds like he wasn't quite that bad. ;)
Sweetie has very real phobia with Jack in the Box toys. Our children never got any of those. One time we were teachers in the nursery at church and they had a Jack in the Box toy, this one little kid plopped right next to sweetie with it and was playing with it. It popped up and so did Sweetie, his face was so pale, he was sweating and he was shaking. I told him to go for a walk and get a drink of water. While he was gone, I found another toy for the child to play with and hid that Jack in the Box. Every Sunday when we went in there, I made sure the Jack in the Box never came out of the toy cupboard I am terrified of lightning. If there is a bad storm, I have been known to hide in the closet, with ear plugs shoved in my ears and my hands over my ears. Sweetie has also found me under beds during storms. He used to go outside during storms because he loves storms, until he saw how terrified I was. Now he stays ion the house and tries to take my mind off the storm or just hold me until it passes. When a person has a very real phobia of something it is very frightening for them and there is nothing that helps to get over it.
MarissaLovesDolls

Post by MarissaLovesDolls »

That's a funny story! Poor guy though! What a terrible phobia to have I wonder what caused it. A lot of time people just say they're afraid of dolls and call them creepy when they're not actually scared but just wanna be rude so I would have probably been offended before I realized he was serious hahaha :)